What's new

Today February 2021

Had a 25km ride through Tokyo yesterday. Went to see the bike shop owner that built my Fairdale to discuss next upgrades, look at bike packing gear and get some ideas off of him.

Future involves upgrading the group set but maybe a little bit down the track once current components wear out. Keen on keeping a dinner plate set of gears, maybe even up to the 11-50 I've seen on the market, 11 or 12 speeds.
Before that on Tomomura san's advice looking at adding a Chris King bottom bracket, Easton Cranks & a WolfTooth chainring.

If the impact was that hard, and it indeed broke a carbon brake lever, I would insist that the frame be scanned. Even if it likely checks out, you often don't see damage to carbon frames with your naked eyes. The shop should be smarter, too, a customer who has a Super Record groupset on his high-end Cervelo with deep section carbon wheels is likely going to be a very good customer in the future. Just sayin' :)
True.. tomorrow I'll go to the shop. We'll see what they say...
Thanks!

Keen on keeping a dinner plate set of gears, maybe even up to the 11-50 I've seen on the market, 11 or 12 speeds.
I've been looking at the XT M8100 groupset. With the 1-51(?) cassette, it would give the gear range for a 1x system that would cover what I need. Minds!

Went to Y's Road today and looked like they were pretty low on stock on various stuff. I wonder if this is typical in other shops as well.

Also, trying to fix my water bottle cage rivnut that broke a while ago. I think I have things figured out and have ordered the rivnuts. Meanwhile, while researching how to do this on the web, I came across a 'how to' video that showed people drilling holes in their frame, and by using rivnuts, making more places to attach stuff to the bike frame. So, I got to thinking (always dangerous) that I might be able to use this for a bolt-on top tube bag, or even some mounts for Anywhere Cages on my old Surly fork. Anyone tried anything like this? Bueller?... Bueller?....

I came across a 'how to' video that showed people drilling holes in their frame, and by using rivnuts, making more places to attach stuff to the bike frame.
I'd be very wary of putting holes in a frame where the designer didn't intend them. Seems like a great way to induce stresses and premature failure. Might be OK if the components was over-engineered in the first place, but how would you know until you find out that it wasn't!?

If you really had to and the load isn't that much use band on mounts.

• Agree
Reactions: jdd
If you really had to and the load isn't that much use band on mounts.
Probably a better solution. Ortlieb just came out with the Fork-Pack that can be attached by bands. They look nice.

Last edited:
This morning went from sunny and a slight breeze to snow flurries and a gale in 60 minutes here.
Not spring yet it appears. Will try again on Saturday.

Went out this afternoon and got a few kms down the road and my freehub seized. Took the wheel to the LBS and the fella said he can't fix it (I presume that meant he didn't want to / couldn't be arsed to fix it). It's a Shimano RS370, so I know I can get a new free hub for about 3500 yen, but do you reckon it's worth the hassle (especially given my very limited wrenching skills) or should I just order a new wheel (11,500 yen)?

Went out this afternoon and got a few kms down the road and my freehub seized. Took the wheel to the LBS and the fella said he can't fix it (I presume that meant he didn't want to / couldn't be arsed to fix it). It's a Shimano RS370, so I know I can get a new free hub for about 3500 yen, but do you reckon it's worth the hassle (especially given my very limited wrenching skills) or should I just order a new wheel (11,500 yen)?
I wouldn't bother. I have never built a wheel, but I think if you don't have a fair amount of patience and the right tools (e. g. a truing stand) this will be hard. Unless you have a friend who'd be willing to rebuilt the wheel for you in exchange for some beer or so.

Future involves upgrading the group set but maybe a little bit down the track once current components wear out. Keen on keeping a dinner plate set of gears, maybe even up to the 11-50 I've seen on the market, 11 or 12 speeds.

I wouldn't. Take a look at this:

If you depend on the bike and can't substitute it, then get a new wheel.
If that's not the case and you've got a chance to get your hands on the tools needed, I would give it a try fixing it. It's a good opportunity to learn.

I have changed the freehub body on my Shimano wheels before. If you have ever re-greased the bearings in Shimano wheels, it is no more difficult than that. No need for a truing stand or to re-build anything.

If you don't have the tools because you rely on the LBS, then best to just get a new wheel and sell the botched one.

If you have the tools, you could try removing and reattaching the broken freehub body. If that goes well, buy the new freehub body and give that a go.

@OreoCookie @pedalist @GrantT - thanks for the advice. In the end I've ordered a new wheel so I can get the bike back on the road ASAP, and I'll see if I can get the old one fixed / swapped under warranty (it's only 5 months old). If there's nothing doing on the warranty, I'll see if I have any luck removing the old freehub and putting it back on, and if that goes okay (unlikely given my past struggles to get the tension right after re-greasing wheel bearings), I'll order a new freehub.
I think I'll need to find a bike shop willing to take a look at the bike, too. The freehub on the stock wheels gave up after 4,500 km and this one has done even worse, so not sure if there's a problem with the thru-axle (I do use a torque wrench so it shouldn't be over / under tightened) or rear derailleur (no shifting issues) that's causing the issues with the freehubs.

I think I'll need to find a bike shop willing to take a look at the bike, too. The freehub on the stock wheels gave up after 4,500 km and this one has done even worse, so not sure if there's a problem with the thru-axle
That's definitely something you should do. My Shimano hubs have all been bombproof as in life-of-the-bike-without-any-maintenance parts.

@Winston Leg-Thigh find another bike shop. Even if you have to travel a bit further.
5 months from new and no attempt to repair?
Did you buy the wheel from him? If not then maybe that is why you got poor service.
BUT Shimano gear is usually bulletporoof. Get that one warrantied.

@Winston Leg-Thigh find another bike shop. Even if you have to travel a bit further.
5 months from new and no attempt to repair?
Did you buy the wheel from him? If not then maybe that is why you got poor service.
BUT Shimano gear is usually bulletporoof. Get that one warrantied.
To be fair, I didn't buy the wheel there - I don't think he sells anything that low-end 🤣. It's only a small shop but the few times I've been in he hasn't exactly been welcoming (if he's open which is probably 50/50 the times I've been). He trued a wheel for me a couple of years ago (4000 yen - a bit steep?) but the other times I've been in to try and buy parts he's not had them and not made any effort to order them in. Unfortunately, living out in the sticks, the other options have been equally bad or worse the times I've been in. I guess I'll have to try find time to get into civilization and try my luck there.

Last edited:
this may not be a strictly cycling subject, but let me share nonetheless. recently I was a victim of insidious cheating. my long-trusted partner, high-end body composition Tanita scales cheated on me with my ego! they conspired against my best judgment for several months last year, to such a degree that they successfully fooled me into wishfully thinking I'm gaining more lean body mass, when in reality a lot of that was just packing fat.

I got a whiff of it all in late November finally, and then confronted them both from just around Xmas time. the results are evident, and things are slowly getting back to normal between the three of us. I've tried to scale the graphs below so that 72 kg line is flat across both, for better alignment and clarity of the trend over the last 2 months or so. 4 kg lost, and 4 to 4.5 cm less in waist circumference too. it seems that indeed hindsight is 2020, and let the truth be with us in 2021! another kg or two gone and there will be nothing left of their devious machinations. pure shred only come March

1613177077600.png 1613177110933.png

Back
Top Bottom