What's new

Today February 2021

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
The first month of 2021 is over and the days are getting long. Now it doesn't get dark until after 17:30. I like it! :)

I managed 521 km in January. I only did rides on three of the five weekends. Two weeks is a long time to go between rides but still OK.

I'm looking forward to my February Century ride -- probably along a coastline (maybe Miura or something on the east coast of Izu), probably next weekend.

already Feb! I noticed yesterday that my lynskey seatpost is too long. I have about 25cm from the insertion point, which is not just unnecessary but also each additional cm is an extra risk of that post getting stuck in there long-term. in the beginning I didn't want to cut it before settling in on a saddle, as I figured the saddle rails etc could influence the seatpost insertion amount. but this is too much no matter what the saddle is.

anyway, it's a titanium post, and I don't have any tools nor desire to cut through that. with the pandemic, I'm not gonna bother taking it to the shop for now either, but a mental note that this needs to be shortened some day

I'm looking forward to my February Century ride -- probably along a coastline (maybe Miura or something on the east coast of Izu), probably next weekend.
If you've got an idea of a starting point, I'd love to join in...!
Let's get the conversation going!

@luka , I'm confused by the notion of a titanium seatpost fusing with, or otherwise adhering too strongly to, a titanium seat tube. How would that happen?

Now, an alumin(i)um seatpost and a (stainless) steel frame: different story. For years, I kept my steel Miyata and l-o-n-g alumin(i)m seatpost out in the rain. The seatpost was my addition: the original one had been too short. This new one was unnecessarily long. But I put grease inside the seatbolt, and once every three months or so I'd loosen the seatbolt, try wiggling the seatpost, and when it wiggled satisfactorily, tightened it up again. No problem, ever.

What could be nasty is the titanium shavings/dust that sawing might produce. The stuff is inflammable, and in the "right" conditions even explosive.

@luka , I'm confused by the notion of a titanium seatpost fusing with, or otherwise adhering too strongly to, a titanium seat tube. How would that happen?

Now, an alumin(i)um seatpost and a (stainless) steel frame: different story. For years, I kept my steel Miyata and l-o-n-g alumin(i)m seatpost out in the rain. The seatpost was my addition: the original one had been too short. This new one was unnecessarily long. But I put grease inside the seatbolt, and once every three months or so I'd loosen the seatbolt, try wiggling the seatpost, and when it wiggled satisfactorily, tightened it up again. No problem, ever.

What could be nasty is the titanium shavings/dust that sawing might produce. The stuff is inflammable, and in the "right" conditions even explosive.

Titanium frame is likely to have a sheath of different metal in the seat tube. My carbon seatpost is currently stuck in my titanium Lynskey...

Need to take it to the gym again to let one of the bodybuilders at it!

Andy

I have to look away but it usually saves the saddle as you don't have to go at it with the wooden mallet.
I think I'd keep an eye out during rides for some rusty and obviously abandoned bicycle-shaped object, remove the saddle -- if noticed and questioned, I'd say I was reducing the amount of trash -- and take it home and use that.

Managed 20 out of 31 days, 544 km, and 5,030 m vertical in January. Happy with that, but looking to do better in February, hopefully closer to 750 km, elevation about the same, and closer to 25 days, but we'll see with the moving plans, wife's birthday and the out-of-home commitments we have to get things set for the March move.

Yesterday, on our way to the Sanwa showroom to look at some competition to Toto for the bathrooms in the new place, saw a dude on a Ritchey frame riding clipless, lightless (in the dark setting sun) and with no helmet. I'm very conservative driving near cyclists because..well..I am one, but this guy seemed to be camouflaging himself. I'm sure it was difficult because every 10m some delivery truck or drop off/pick up car was taking up the curb lane but...c'mon man, take at least a little safety precautions and make yourself known.

Last edited:
Hmm afraid to check my bike but think its more like schrodingers seatpost. Hasn't been ridden outdoors or wet in nearly a year so I guess it should be ok?

Managed 20 out of 31 days, 544 km, and 5,030 m vertical in January. Happy with that, but looking to do better in February, hopefully closer to 750 km, elevation about the same, and closer to 25 days, but we'll see with the moving plans, wife's birthday and the out-of-home commitments we have to get things set for the March move.

Yesterday, on our way to the Sanwa showroom to look at some competition to Toto for the bathrooms in the new place, saw a dude on a Ritchey frame riding clipless, lightless (in the dark setting sun) and with no helmet. I'm very conservative driving near cyclists because..well..I am one, but this guy seemed to be camouflaging himself. I'm sure it was difficult because every 10m some delivery truck or drop off/pick up car was taking up the curb lane but...c'mon man, take at least a little safety precautions and make yourself known.
I was riding my ritchey yesterday on flats with no helmet or lights!!! On a trainer, in my bike room....

I was riding my ritchey yesterday on flats with no helmet or lights!!! On a trainer, in my bike room....
Recklist*!

@microcord I guess everyone has different risk assessments. as long as there is a theoretical, albeit small, risk that the post can seize, I want to do what I reasonably can to prevent it, for my own peace of mind if nothing else. that includes periodical checking and cleaning, yes, but I also wanna shorten it. you would too probably if you saw the process of unsheathing that thing ;) of course, I'll make sure whoever does the work makes the fine finishing too, and no leftover titanium dust etc

definitely a momentalist.. lol. but as was observed.. one who doesn't want to stop!
and if there is a traffic light where I can see there are no cars, or no obvious danger.. I'll go through it if/when it's RED.

How about you?

definitely a momentalist.. lol. but as was observed.. one who doesn't want to stop!
and if there is a traffic light where I can see there are no cars, or no obvious danger.. I'll go through it if/when it's RED.

How about you?
During the day I obey nearly all lights, mainly because I am grateful for a breather. Frivolous lights at T-junctions are an exception.
In the dark, though, I'll ride through red lights after confirming there's no other traffic. But even then I'll usually stop if a vehicle does, mainly because I don't want to make drivers more irritated at cyclists than they almost certainly already are.

Back
Top Bottom