What's new

Today February 2021

Has a raised foot path that looked quite rideable, but would not be much fun due to traffic. I took note whilst driving through last year since their were a few cyclists on the road and not the path. Didn't look like fun.
That raised footpath (you can view it on Google Streetview) doesn't look wide enough to be really comfortable to cycle on. I've cycled on narrow raised footpaths of other lengthy tunnels before where you have little margin between bumping into the wall with a shoulder on one side and dropping down a high curb in front of a truck on the other. It's not a pleasant idea.

That's why I always use Rt53 / Yamabushi toge for crossing the mountains around there. It may be more climbing, but it's a much more pleasant experience.

I woke up this morning to pure comedy...
My calves feel roasted. Good thing I stopped at 3km on my run. I will probably get out and run again today, but the same distance at the most.
This might sound funny, but my calve have that good kind of hurt. The kind that can actually drive me to do more because it is the good burn, not the painful one.

I woke up this morning to pure comedy...
My calves feel roasted. Good thing I stopped at 3km on my run. I will probably get out and run again today, but the same distance at the most.
This might sound funny, but my calve have that good kind of hurt. The kind that can actually drive me to do more because it is the good burn, not the painful one.
Got to keep push'in ourselves. A little pain usually goes away soon also in a short time.
Cold weather is moving in again today, wonder if that helps you out.

Got to keep push'in ourselves. A little pain usually goes away soon also in a short time.
Cold weather is moving in again today, wonder if that helps you out.
Note I live in Kanagawa - so while it gets cold here, it isn't like the northern prefectures.
But I LOVE the cold we get here, but I hate the rain (moving in tomorrow).
The crisp air is good for my head and I really prefer it to work out.
10 degrees is perfect, but I am happy all the way down to 1 or 2 degrees. I can layer up accordingly and never overheat.

I really enjoy this time of year.

My L4 & L5 are crushed from a car wreck in 1997. I was pretty sure any running was ruled out of my life.
I did run track in high school and was a heel striker. Any heel strike today would immediately destroy my back.
I actually ended up with a running coach in late 2000s. I spent tons of time changing my gait and learning to become a midfoot striker.
Once it got that part down... I built up to an 8k slowly to ensure no injury. Once that was done, I ran a marathon on the 1 year anniversary of my first 8k back. Amazingly (to me at least) I was able to get back into the swing of things after almost 10 years of not running.

Of all the things I remember about 're-learning' to run - the one thing that made the most impact - keep your shoulders back. This keeps your center of balance back and you are far less likely to heel strike - and your keep your lungs nice and open to take deeper breaths.
Respect. (I have seen some of your rides and injuries, so I suspect pain affects you in different ways)

Respect. (I have seen some of your rides and injuries, so I suspect pain affects you in different ways)
I have been told by doctors my pain tolerance is much higher than most people he sees. But I have a sister that seems to have an even higher tolerance than I do.
My father drilled in my head and my sister's that discomfort does not equal pain and to know the difference.
My sister broke her wrist mid tryouts for a fast pitch softball team. She finished the tryout before mentioning it - even then she downplayed the injury so much, we didn't go to the ER for hours. Both of us played 1st base (me in baseball), so there was always competition between the two of us as well. We would not only push each other, but also be one another's #1 cheerleader. Her shortstop was throwing darts that day and she caught every single one.... with a broken wrist. She is also 3 years older than me, so she set the standard.

So you're (both?) left-handed?
Believe it or not, both right handed (odd for the position), however we are both tall, excellent glove work and flexible.
I have played every position on the field - 17 years of ball - most were at first base. I only have commited 2 error in my life that I can recall. One was at third and one was at second. Both were throwing errors after fielding awkward grounders.

I think this one of the reasons is why we were both selected to be starters over the lefties.... no fear of the short hop.
I have taken a few short hops off the chest, but all while playing 3rd and just tying to kncok the ball down, but I have never been hit by a throw that hurt nearly as bad.

I was not planning to try and play in college as I thought I was ready to move on. So I got pulled into a co-ed softball team freshmen year. Itjust so happens we had a girl on our team that was an all-star 1st basemen in highschool, so I conceded the position and moved to 2nd. 3rd game of the year, I outran the right fielder to a ball all the way to the fence, I threw it to home on a one hopper.... and lost feeling in my arm. Torn rotator cuff. :(

Her shortstop was throwing darts that day and she caught every single one.... with a broken wrist.
I pray the shortstop was of the ilk of those great sportsmen Jockey Wilson or Eric Bristow (whose darts even I suspect I could catch...or smoke), but suspect that may not be the case.

Sad news from earlier this week: a young keirin cyclist who was out on a training ride in Sodegaura, Chiba, ran into the back of a truck that was stopped by the side of a road. He hit his head and died. "Police are investigating the likelihood that he wasn't watching where he was going." No mention of whether he was wearing a helmet, but reports elsewhere say he was.

It must have been some impact to fold the down tube like that.

With my time off I'm on orders for exercise and do what I enjoy, so that means bike riding.
Recently I've been using Strava heatmaps to discover places I haven't ridden in Tokyo and have been exploring. komoot was helpful as OpenCycling maps has highlighted a few such roads for me to venture to in near future. Been enjoying exploring away from Tokyo & finding small river paths I've never been on before.

Here's a short video from a recent river side exploration in Saitama along the Kurome & Ochiai Rivers.

Cycling in Japan - Beautiful River just outside of Tokyo, escaping the city.

I bet the RD cable end cap is also blue? what next, blue spokes? blue chain would be nice too ;)

spokes in blue/orange, done so when the wheel rotates there'd be a pinwheel effect?

Back
Top Bottom