What's new

Today February 2021

my neck vertebrae have settled down so I jumped on Zwift and did a light ramp test. Just as I was starting to sweat a little (or a lot) the postman opened the door to deliver a package, but maybe he saved me from pain.
I might give the app a honest go and see how I feel come April. But only a month at a time. I may have to move South and get a new job as this pandemic is not looking to end anytime soon.
We looked at me getting work in New Zealnd but quarantine is booked out until August so Tokyo it may be.

I recieved a notification one of my new frames arrived! Woot!
I will have it tomorrow, however I have decided to spend the extra $100 and order a precut full frame protective wrap for the bike.
Probably another week or so of waiting, then several hours of installing. Then..... build the bike.

I'm starting to get the knack of riding while standing on my rollers. (I need to take the weight off after 30 min or so or I get numbnuts.) Trick seems to be to rise directly up, keeping my weight centered, rather than up and forward as I would instinctively do on the road. I can dance for about 30 seconds now, if I shift to a heavy gear and drop the cadence way down. Not elegant, but still moving. I'm finding it interesting.

-3 degrees here tonight in Yamaguchi
tomorrow strong winds
walked about 4 miles today
homemade chicken soup on the dinner table tonight

yamaguchi seems pretty cold there @adventurous cyclist

walking is a good habit, especially in these days of isolation and teleworking. I'm walking about 5 to 8 km 3-4 times a week, to help with my current fat-shedding process. even tho it's only several hundred Kcal in additional expenditure, it makes a huge difference cumulatively, when coupled with appropriate nutrition

Last edited:
First (that I know of) tubeless puncture this morning - about 300m from the house. Fortunately the mudguards stopped me getting a nice latex skidmark all up my back. Though it had sealed itself to start with but as soon as I started riding again sealant was spraying everywhere. Got the plugs out (lezyne classic, tool fans) but could I get the plug into to the tyre? Could I f***.
Walked home and used the track pump to pump the tyre up hard and after much cursing and swearing I got the plug inish. Went round the block to test it and it seems okay.
IMG_20210205_075205659_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210205_080445328_HDR.jpgIMG_20210205_075205659_HDR.jpgIMG_20210205_080445328_HDR.jpg

Managed 475km in January, nearly all from 36 commutes which was 500km less than December. Expected to hardly ride or even look at my bike after the Festive500 but thanks to Coronavirus I am still avoiding trains, so was back on the bike January 2nd.

This month is also planned to be on bike almost daily, no matter the temperature and looking forward to Spring.
For me this month its gonna be all about mental health. The daily battle for covid see practises, dealing with people and watching parts of Tokyo actually become busier than before the state of emergency has worn me out.

So I might embark on a Forrest Gump like marathon but by bike, destination, length of time unknown.
Want to ride afar, but very inexperienced with ice, snow, cold weather and given the amount of mountains around not sure where I can get to. I'll make a new topic about this.

Managed 475km in January, nearly all from 36 commutes which was 500km less than December. Expected to hardly ride or even look at my bike after the Festive500 but thanks to Coronavirus I am still avoiding trains, so was back on the bike January 2nd.

This month is also planned to be on bike almost daily, no matter the temperature and looking forward to Spring.
For me this month its gonna be all about mental health. The daily battle for covid see practises, dealing with people and watching parts of Tokyo actually become busier than before the state of emergency has worn me out.

So I might embark on a Forrest Gump like marathon but by bike, destination, length of time unknown.
Want to ride afar, but very inexperienced with ice, snow, cold weather and given the amount of mountains around not sure where I can get to. I'll make a new topic about this.
An adventurous person you are.

First (that I know of) tubeless puncture this morning - about 300m from the house. Fortunately the mudguards stopped me getting a nice latex skidmark all up my back. Though it had sealed itself to start with but as soon as I started riding again sealant was spraying everywhere. Got the plugs out (lezyne classic, tool fans) but could I get the plug into to the tyre? Could I f***.
Walked home and used the track pump to pump the tyre up hard and after much cursing and swearing I got the plug inish. Went round the block to test it and it seems okay.
View attachment 29442
View attachment 29443View attachment 29442View attachment 29443
Trim it with the scissors and it should hold for the life of the tyre. I had as many as 4 plugging some of my tyres last year. Fantastic invention!

Andy

The three peaks of Mt. Hachikoku today on snow shoes.

20210205_125334.jpg

A few days of heavy snow followed by sunshine today, we couldn't have asked for better conditions.

received_3661145157307248.jpeg

One more sunny day on the forecast tomorrow, so we'll get our bikes out and hit the seaside and the forest trail at Cape Kakuda tomorrow.

20210205_141847.jpg

Making hay while it shines!

Andy

To the trail this morning.

20210206_065922.jpg

Good music, check. Coffee, check.

20210206_082225.jpg

Windy in the car park.

20210206_082825.jpg

But the trail is a tree sheltered Oasis.

20210206_082939.jpg

Ito san comes by bike. Air out of the tyres. Strip the bike down.

20210206_084047.jpg

First lap to clear a couple of fallen trees.

20210206_090741.jpg

Strip off for four laps of race pace. On the front with PB pace on the last lap. Clip out on the tricky Sakurazaka climb. Another time.

20210206_124259.jpg

Always great training. Mochi stuffed aburage is the high octane calorie replacement!

Screenshot_20210206-134516_Facebook.jpg

Was surprised to see I did some form of activity every day in January.

Keep the ball rolling in February!

Andy

Can't believe how much the warm moist air off the Sea of Japan melts away the snow.
No wonder you can wear shorts.

Can't believe how much the warm moist air off the Sea of Japan melts away the snow.
No wonder you can wear shorts.

Kakuda is the closest point on the mainland to Sado Island so the mountains on the island are a natural barrier, taking a big dump of snow.

Conversely here we have a 1000m mountain coming straight out of the sea which means we get so much snow even at sea level and above freezing.

Kakuda is often sunny even when it's snowing heavily here.

A race two weeks ago was an exception.

Andy

20210124_093250.jpg

Might be a good Everesting segment or two there. Seems to be a 15% slope with a long straight slope is optimum for best results: time Vs distance.
Last time I did it there was a few dekoboko concrete sections which would slow you down!

images (24).jpeg

There is a hillclimb race in the autumn. A mate of mine is a multiple winner. I saw him today on the way home fighting a brutal headwind on the seaside line.

Virtual hillclimbing I guess! Gotta be better than Zwift!

Andy

Dutch hills, training of champions. I might actually get out on the roads tomorrow if this weather holds, a fair bit of frost heave around the city today.

Was wondering if anyone has current knowledge of what it costs to take a bike on a domestic flight, i.e. from Tokyo to Hokkaido. Are any of the domestic airlines better than others re handling bikes? (Thinking about whether it is worth investing in a breakaway frame if most of my travel will be domestic.)

Back
Top Bottom