What's new

Today February 2020

@RRditch fabulous photo! what are those things on top of your crank arms? I could maybe use some protectors like those...

today's hack: use a bit of kitchen wrap to protect the brake side when doing a rough once-over of the drivetrain

1581751851853.png

noticed the front disk was a bit loose! that explains the slight play I noticed in the front end the other week, but could not pinpoint at the time. this prompted me to check the rear, and that one was also slightly loose, but still better than the front. with centrelock disks the braking force is in the direction of tightening it, so really no idea how this could happen...

Today was a rigid Single Speed on the trail day.
Running a knobby front and semi-slick rear on wet clay resulted in 3 crashes, but more than enough fun to make up for it.
Some blood was left on the trail, visited with a soon to be 200 year old Kannon, set 2 PRs.

Climbing stuff like this with a semi-slick it not really recommended....
ss1.jpg

I guess the fat bike did the best?
Oddly not really. Each bike had its own share of issues.
I was on 29x2.4F and 2.2R
The other SS was 29x2.6F&R
Then the fatbike on 5" tires...

There were times the fat bike was struggling and we weren't. I assume too much tire patch may also mean the weight is distributed across more area, so less weight per square inch. So he slipped in unexpected places. I slipped in expected places, but also made i through plenty I was not betting on surviving. The 29x2.6 setup did quite well overall.

2 serious thorns, one menacing glass shard and several small stone flints etc dug out of the tires today, and of just one bike. these things should be checked more often perhaps. anyway, I'm ready to commit my life to that thing from tomorrow's commute again now

had a nice chat this morning with this fellow commuter. if you're on the forum, say hi. if not, maybe someone here recognizes you and invites you over... he was interested in my commuting setup, with stupid wide tires, but still a drop bar, and rigid?! couldn't wrap his head around this, and I don't blame him.

after a thorough clean of the BB, new chainset install, drivetrain cleaning and newly bled brakes, the bike felt wonderful today. to help things, I finally lost any pain/discomfort I've been having in my left knee for the past month or so. so I was a very happy biker today overall. gotta resist the temptation to jump right back into riding longer and more intensely. instead, it's gotta be a slow, incremental buildup over 2 months or so, not to risk any setbacks

1581937701434.png

Sorry, mobile is acting funny. Looks like I posted it twice...

Back
Top Bottom