What's new

Today February 2020

Hey all
Not been on here for ages as I've been focusing on my Tokyo Marathon training. 6 years waiting to get a place then 5 months of training down the drain in an instant 🤦🏻‍♂️ . Oh well, at least I'll be back on the bike sooner than planned. I'll hopefully be able to carry at least some of this running form over to the bike.

@leicaman have they refunded people for the cancellation? that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read it. or are they simply claiming force majeure or smt?

Hey all
Not been on here for ages as I've been focusing on my Tokyo Marathon training. 6 years waiting to get a place then 5 months of training down the drain in an instant 🤦🏻‍♂️ . Oh well, at least I'll be back on the bike sooner than planned. I'll hopefully be able to carry at least some of this running form over to the bike.
I ran two marathons before moving to japan.
I am sad you will miss the actual "celebration of training" - because ultimately that is what the actual race is. If you trained properly - you just get to soak in the atmosphere and get the opportunity to safely run through the city.

Funny thing for me is looking back - I did all my long training runs as trail runs. I have more fond memories of 3 hour runs in the woods than the actual marathons themselves. ~ Admittedly I would feel robbed if I didn't get to do the full sanctioned race - but in retrospect, that was far from the highlight.
I learned more about my pain threshold and proper nutrition during training than any other time. I also learned I needed to listen to my body(not my brain or emotions) and back off when my body said it was time.
blah blah blah...

I know more about endurance and my ability to fight through discomfort due to the experience.
Hopefully your situation will be similar and it will transfer over to the bike.

If you have some residual anger, you can borrow my SS and thrash it in the woods if it makes you feel better!
(I will be doing this very thing in 30 minutes to get out my work frustrations)

gutted for you, you will be doing it next year right?

cheers. Yeah, I'll be running the 2021 edition as everyone who was signed up for 2020 is now eligible for 2021
@leicaman have they refunded people for the cancellation? that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read it. or are they simply claiming force majeure or smt?
no refunds for 2020 and if we want to run 2021 we have to pay again. The contract says if they cancel the event , but technically it hasn't been cancelled. The elites will still be running the 2020 Tokyo Marathon so they are just restricting the runners. Not sure how that would hold up in a court of law.

I ran two marathons before moving to japan.
I am sad you will miss the actual "celebration of training" - because ultimately that is what the actual race is. If you trained properly - you just get to soak in the atmosphere and get the opportunity to safely run through the city.

Funny thing for me is looking back - I did all my long training runs as trail runs. I have more fond memories of 3 hour runs in the woods than the actual marathons themselves. ~ Admittedly I would feel robbed if I didn't get to do the full sanctioned race - but in retrospect, that was far from the highlight.
I learned more about my pain threshold and proper nutrition during training than any other time. I also learned I needed to listen to my body(not my brain or emotions) and back off when my body said it was time.
blah blah blah...

I know more about endurance and my ability to fight through discomfort due to the experience.
Hopefully your situation will be similar and it will transfer over to the bike.

If you have some residual anger, you can borrow my SS and thrash it in the woods if it makes you feel better!
(I will be doing this very thing in 30 minutes to get out my work frustrations)
Ha ha. Thanks for the offer. I have really enjoyed my training this time. No injuries and my body has responded really well to the training. I'm in the best running form I've ever been in, I think. The first few 50+km long runs were tough but I got used to them. This training block has highlighted a few areas I will tweak for the 2021 marathon so I'm thinking of shaving one or two more minutes off my goal time for 2021.
In the meantime, back on the bike for the hot season.

I had a mature moment...

Facts -
I hate riding indoors.
I cannot stand trainers.
I tolerate rollers.
I have had 4 different trainers I have used and sold over the years.
I don't really care for video games.

The Moment I was in trouble -
Trainer on sale 50% off, connects via Bluetooth and Ant+
Compatible with majority of training software including Swift
20lb flywheel and up for 20% grade capability.
Reviews make it on par with the full price competitors.
What a deal!!!

Reality -
I hate riding indoors.
I cannot stand trainers.
I tolerate rollers.
I have had 4 different trainers I have used and sold over the years.
I don't really care for video games.

No purchase made.
Good Job marketing, for 1.5 seconds I tried to imagine using a trainer again.

FLcyi7CGI51K4B7FOaWZZNwViADCukou2dmUtBKU2SODv5fHylT0JC5P7JHKkf-UwN3C-F3VqK2WBAqTHC8qOZJwe1JGArv4Gyi9pA94FNy1wo0o8v6RvM17xNMrPDwUz7-3c7v5ejF6Th3yc_4yuW2SckvNdd22DZLsI87D8ycPkd_FA3uBWML8LCYqyRuuTkfuIecQnJhxsA-GRmvhkIEGkLr7MsGiBBDf2gvR0We_PLGny-uwF5-RWWkYvG5lYWZXXX5m7GElr11eupKYZYqXs6Rkoxm0JB1o4ravVEN4IQy7Z25tG-aeSxd8v-7r5RO2_ek8-ljiyR19QR03p4UES1IS17m0oZsn6DnfIrWFim1wW2MfeiHFPMznwkiWOAvBfmN1nMykJr_NWuRGff_1A982tMzbhOn0firrnaYX5DZ0Om-3jzPfFtzv1mZzYF_XERLyibPif2koXrhWcW-rzZ5j5yUs3Etksfr5_oVdEmACzTPm5MpEmVKXgUEFrRuH3lYY8Jihc-GJsUzeIn8AavpjwIi6cf_rmJ45FY0NZz8GE6nk2FBk82nXpB556wZOaRk2bBbi3r2E4nweQcrhYVwFt208HUwICqLrJKG0FZecNgosgLB7tz8FnJoZc9thWAmMVP8VFe5wxHHqPXtOKSMbqZs-lRJejFAUWb8mvDiHJt05Lf3pSf-wgFKAkLLH7z1dcticIqYHyCkNmgcdsiM1yZz1EBS4YErWZPUApO-F=s800-no

I got back from the US yesterday after 10 days away. On the first day there I drove from San Francisco down to Monterey peninsula and did a bike ride with my friend Tom.

gtBnYWpP3k4LlmeI-d9Cd4RSHVYyl4P2sGZCkrCrYwHXggpMI7c1R9gVhknhBnItogxgy3N3L5-eAUhOvB9e4Kk5wUkqNkfBitxyQVhB5C34WmD6Q-5IVEiA2tqIfLL3IouQYfH7qwynG7201WgQUMeF48isBLu4h6yjtpGkblKDoXY79UP3ZU-8d7-kMxo9gFIk-499pQgf84li2LdpwGJ3KKQwNyW8BlFYiG05RrBo3hwNQvQe34t_MWhH_NSHGDVRlsA2SkPSXuYxUB5pyYwbroGEo4Zf-d7AA448-Iw1KNRuAlg4PEhuuxxwv2eryPTBSiO-2QjM3kqiX0sAV6hhJi_oOmHyTAoIYv34HUUQWFJd79PxbZerQpFBMe3cyhQjhbeVtzLR-4clXv0AQkuR6PV4Jav9zCtz7JODqLgY3bV5eiTDdp2oeiRs35qLkK9sCOBNcgl2AOyiZnTeKKl8c4Gc-9DBuUA3iLKeXkvjQCerwBJ2WyUDvNPOXxR0Ltpb5CbZmc9HQhGMjKuVmDmw5llYlcf9hdL2qRpyPkF5vEhIdpGbxce1CnYu7u7ugz-ouF_APm-XwcpE3oJZ36SVzv0BX4Tsgznysyvcm8HQuvuSjSxOpDJJ2Q_W9lomKlweSftaWuUJjwvSRIl1COy6Zg6OjSXTzu1aQjwNCEeLySVtQ671IolzdQK76S0xjoGussdCfxVe2J8KNMb9T-ekzkkw0MqVe8wZWOQzjXJ9hnNA=s800-no

We rode near 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach (famous for its golf courses). There are beautiful ocean views. Later we had dinner.

Tom had run and finished every single Big Sur International Marathon from 1986 (the year the event started) until 2019 and in 2016 he became BSIM chairman. Last year he switched from running to cycling because of age-related knee issues. In his 70s, he now averages 400 km a week on his Tarmac road bike (no knee issues on the bike).

The new left shifter is installed. I went for the Ultegra R8000 part (ST-R8020) to replace my broken non-series ST-RS685 hydraulic lever. Tim of GS Astuto installed it for me, including bleeding the brake system of air. While the hydraulic brake hose itself was compatible, the new shifter expects a different attachment at the end of the hose and the shifters only come with hoses if you buy them as a set (L/R), not individually. So Tim had to cut the end of the existing hose and attach the matching bit to screw into the shifter.

The good news is that the new shifter works great and feels exactly like the old one. Unless I think about it, I completely forget that the left and right side aren't from the same group set.

I have been having lower back pain for the last two weeks, probably from too much time in front of the computer and not enough cycling and walking. I hope to fix that this coming weekend :)

Last night on the way home from work went over a steel plate over a construction trench in the road. I guess my tire pressure was too low. Couldn't get to reseat and seal with a side wall punctured with my hand pump. 20200226_174934.jpg

did you have a spare tube to get you home?
when i run tubeless I also carry a tube in my saddle bag. I have not had to use one yet fortunately.

got my hair cut today. kept wondering why the salon has so many colorful flat bar grips tho

1582795075306.png

did you have a spare tube to get you home?
when i run tubeless I also carry a tube in my saddle bag. I have not had to use one yet fortunately.
I had a tube but didn't want to use it. Didn't want to retape the rim. Had the wife come get me.
My commute is not that long and traffic here not too bad here.

I had a tube but didn't want to use it. Didn't want to retape the rim. Had the wife come get me.
My commute is not that long and traffic here not too bad here.
Why would you have to retape the rim? Pull the valve, pop in the tube, ride home.
Keep riding it this way until the new tire arrives. Pull tube and tire, clean valve and rim, add new tire and sealant.

I have done this a half dozen times and never retaped

Back
Top Bottom