What's new

Today February 2019

@stu_kawagoe is that somewhere in tokigawa ogose chichibu area? any ice on the roads, debris from winter etc? maybe gonna ride out that way on Sunday
That's Moroyama. I had no problem with the roads up there today (seemed bone dry tbh) though I only descended from about 300 meters up.

Got out this morning with a buddy and made the most of the weather.
The first three hours were great. Ran into another MTB buddy and we continued together a bit.
Swapped KOMs on the ride today. Snagged one I have never had and lost one to the guy I just stole the other one from.
Just a fun day. I was shocked we were even in KOM territory as I was in more of a goof off and get air mood than a go fast mood.

52846977_10156974159997808_6341364271598796800_n.jpg

Just back from Sekiyado.......a nice calm wind going up and a raging tailwind on the way home........just the way I like it.Stoppred in Yoshikawa on the way home to set up my hammock for an hour or two out of the wind and in the sun and to cook up some some Shin Ramen and leek(that I bought from the Sekiyado Museum Shop).A great day......a very comfortable 100km.

Attachments

• 080D211B-47C4-445E-8620-BD0B67B76744.jpeg
    080D211B-47C4-445E-8620-BD0B67B76744.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 25
Just back from Sekiyado.......a nice calm wind going up and a raging tailwind on the way home........just the way I like it.Stoppred in Yoshikawa on the way home to set up my hammock for an hour or two out of the wind and in the sun and to cook up some some Shin Ramen and leek(that I bought from the Sekiyado Museum Shop).A great day......a very comfortable 100km.
Looks great! How much did the stove set you back? (Definitely something I want to buy soon.)

Just back from Sekiyado again.What a contrast from yesterday.......had to cycle back in a headwind,lol.Hope everyone has enjoyed the Spring-like weather this weekend.

Looks great! How much did the stove set you back? (Definitely something I want to buy soon.)
Cheers.Got a real cheap one from Ali Express or eBay about ¥600 or something like that and I also paid around ¥300 for an adapter that allows you to cook with those gas cylinders that you can buy from the ¥100 shop instead of having to fork out ¥400+ for those regular camping gas canisters.Totally recommend doing it especially if you aren't a weight weenie.Nothing like stringing your hammock up on the way home from a ride and getting some piping hot calories in your stomach.....especially on those super chilly days.I used a Trangia alcohol stove for a long while but the price of the fuel is prohibitive.One 500ml bottle costs about ¥350 minimum and it doesn't last long......the cheap gas bombes/cylinders I mentioned are sold all over the place and I usually buy a 3-pack of them that last for ages and cost less than ¥300.

Last edited:
kdNQ79OlfkV52WJILehdoJ5pg2K1ThUAoie3x2K5lJUFs8vQWXaCbVfHz0h0HYuZiX_3sLBIC05xp9fu4PZtCdGe5e36-up6lCT5q3bN7XYqZaO4-PCsB2orXfmF96CumrjAMM7wg-8RPxni-9nmBUSU2mn-7LBqE6dbhJOymPo-iP-fh3GSxLzvpOAxUwL4b_7eq3qL6NGOyvAs2vqecVqzPyUG9NRHsbm5lBODo6c2hJEvw3z3uog22CBsck9uydrekaw2O-E69ywQrsm-G-jnGUTQE1EcWjsl0sD6OomGnBsZK0H-5_S2POQo4Bh-WxmceVguXcKho9pWikYzX_KASLKIu6cwtNmAys1NyjdpbWyzrLggokePoChfpmZXVElTiRNvAwhBiE42RNJ-5qsLXW8PFEK_gkJaNYukq41M2UCAKZDVxWVc_QvfERutxtovh4E72LAqU6T0C2hDDxvojgEkZFXT0MOsNrIdDiSGr7ncWWdW4nhODFtNUn8wGakOiQieBFBqqFsjwq7qzrLFy3fW8_WI7ve8Jy2lmwW_uvSujeQtCXUcPRigHZ8q87yqYy4eLxaHgyMuilUW48puAm7_gfVXssiCCoakYAXZsAWt-X8D337qE8ldRGUw0wk-wOO2FPZcS83CJNdJWP8XU2yE3Uo7mzbkjZObbjxrCJQP7l5l58-3Wk6sTdEWD1mt3YUUGoRjPKRjiUnodvbQDA=s800-no

I'm back from 10 days in California for a conference. On the last day I finally managed to get a ride in. I rented a bike and cycled 20 km over the Golden Gate bridge and back (see Strava). The weather was beautiful, unlike the week before when we had to cancel a planned ride with a friend down in Monterey due to rain.

xVC0NWWf3sstxnMuZICrMU9LPv9c4lG5eLUxorg6ZCMirIezwEnfP0S7-7J_b5I5iT0yb86wj9mDBtvz_jvsF_76tg_1oEi0Odx5SbR13-gpEh0qCYb2SS35bF6ahwyKSKjy6saIpJLhJXedipd_mm3sZTVEgswXJO537xxzhreyMkZxXOlio7uVlGE0xLh7NNH6Oi1BPQ1PEihrq19O6CYuJRX8b3NEdovfn8qy-P3qThjNpjOw-Lw0qZa4UYCjVquYslhkS4YGl_1M8vJ8ttI24Rj1d2kIBHuap5V4X48u809pPboVvh5yeO-9-fSZixfTvUCfgYZkHhR8x0ngKBxzm937_Gas0bZH5rSBGB4_zEC1Ad9-_-bnJR8aC8kbZ-Pzue59o5MzevRdrErhQCLOkLah0v4_dUWZ3OJyeE7e0TV32NoRWUIT6QzX5GERiifTesripGBFbHpN3dnZQp7k_Ni2t6fBvCp9B5Y5wGxksz75-JE2Drd7etjemuwc7X8SwrVBeQM8_DECsqHrQEPP5yXS-UQCOvGjJDTkiglUQWw3QLb4S9P9oiCz7esLmrT1B2CmD-HqDI6boP52naXH1VUo1VF_6a-AF176Ajk47X-8VNJqK9cDLnZl6vSB2U6uBKwaH4KWs9Kl32MDLPW4pcdKjGg9HhfjtwKYdtOjZoHX68AChTrlY2CPPvaTSmd9n_9FE7w4bMip1r4NL0hCbg=s800-no

Cheers.Got a real cheap one from Ali Express or eBay about ¥600 or something like that and I also paid around ¥300 for an adapter that allows you to cook with those gas cylinders that you can buy from the ¥100 shop instead of having to fork out ¥400+ for those regular camping gas canisters.Totally recommend doing it especially if you aren't a weight weenie.Nothing like stringing your hammock up on the way home from a ride and getting some piping hot calories in your stomach.....especially on those super chilly days.I used a Trangia alcohol stove for a long while but the price of the fuel is prohibitive.One 500ml bottle costs about ¥350 minimum and it doesn't last long......the cheap gas bombes/cylinders I mentioned are sold all over the place and I usually buy a 3-pack of them that last for ages and cost less than ¥300.

Thanks for the helpful info, particularly re the adapter. Ali Express does seem to beat Amazon with the generic equipment. I'll definitely download the app this week:) That hammock looks like a lot of fun, but I bought a second hand bivvy bag a few weeks ago, so I guess I'm the "bivvy guy" for a while at least!

I went for a quick spin this morning while my wife and daughter were out at an event (Strava here if interested in the route). I left around 9 and was home before 11.30, which was pretty cool. My bike actually felt great for much of my ride. There's a bit of clicking/creaking down near the bottom bracket when I'm climbing out of the seat, but that was about it. What a difference a run of nice weather makes!

Last edited:
Nice hilltop finish in the UAE Tour tonight. Caleb Ewan, an Aussie guy, won. Tomorrow is a sprint stage from Sharjah to Khor Fakkan.

Tomorrow it will be March already. I've done very little riding since Feb 3, in fact 80% of my monthly distance will have been in a single long ride on that day :(

Time to get in shape for two brevets that I'll ride on the last two Saturdays of March. The weather forecast looks nice for this Saturday. Has anybody been up on the Greenline recently? @stu_kawagoe, I am looking at you :) What are the weather conditions like there now? Is it safe to ride yet or is there still snow and ice about?

Tomorrow it will be March already. I've done very little riding since Feb 3, in fact 80% of my monthly distance will have been in a single long ride on that day :(

Time to get in shape for two brevets that I'll ride on the last two Saturdays of March. The weather forecast looks nice for this Saturday. Has anybody been up on the Greenline recently? @stu_kawagoe, I am looking at you :) What are the weather conditions like there now? Is it safe to ride yet or is there still snow and ice about?

I've been up there the last couple of weekends and it's seemed fine to me. It should be sunny and warm tomorrow, too, so hopefully it will dry off a bit before the weekend. Enjoy your next ride!

Went up to Sekiyado on Saturday........the weather forecast called for mild weather and almost no wind or low to moderate wind,.Before the halfway point a huge headwind hit me full on......I was nearly at a standstill,since I carry panniers,lol.Made it up to Sekiyado after veering off the elevated river bank to a more civilised rural backwater course,the Nakagawa,that I really love that was at sea level.
I made it home in no time,of course,lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom