What's new

FBM - Fuji by Muletto

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
This is a bit early. But I want to get started on training for this now. I want to do the 'Ride to Fuji' again this year - probably the early signs of dementia.

Rule 1 - No rules except Rule 2.
Rule 2 - Ride a fixed gear.

Goal: Ride from Tokyo, climb the mountain, take at least 1 bike to the top, ride back to Tokyo. Within 24hr.

Proposed Date: Sometime in July or August.

I know at least 3 of you now have mulettos geared up - so, how about it?

Very tempted :thumb: (except for the climb the mountain - on foot - part)...

This is a bit early. But I want to get started on training for this now. I want to do the 'Ride to Fuji' again this year - probably the early signs of dementia.

Rule 1 - No rules except Rule 2.
Rule 2 - Ride a fixed gear.

Goal: Ride from Tokyo, climb the mountain, take at least 1 bike to the top, ride back to Tokyo. Within 24hr.

Proposed Date: Sometime in July or August.

I know at least 3 of you now have mulettos geared up - so, how about it?

Great, if there are no other rules, I would bring a chainwhip and perform gear changes as needed.
But I won't be riding until the end of July...

Cool. I don't think gear change is required - unless we want to maximize our speed on the transit vs. the Subaru line. Going out is fine by 49 /17 or so - and pretty much most of the Subaru line as well. Though swapping to a 49 /23 will save your legs for the mountain climb. That's what I used last year, anyway. Just flip flop - so no tools extra to carry. Not sure about the ride down the lava road off the very summit. I tried a portion on the MTB those guys hauled up and it was pretty dicey, at best. But - wtf .. why not! Maybe carry a set of CX tires for that bit. I won't be using carbon rims, though - just my old Gran Compe's.

I believe we could arrange an 'executive exception' for you, Mike.
That's the spirit.

Rule 3. Everyone else pretends that Mike's 20 gears don't exist.

It would be extremely helpful and sensible, safety-wise, if someone with a car and nothing better to do could take the hiking boots and other essentials up and down. They could also join the hike. Think about it.

I'd prefer September, by the way. Far fewer people on the mountain.

It would be extremely helpful and sensible, safety-wise, if someone with a car and nothing better to do could take the hiking boots and other essentials up and down. They could also join the hike. Think about it.

Do you guys know any film makers?

Talk about a cool mini documentary, following along two up on a motorcycle, one driving one filming, then making the hike with you and the return trip, that would be a documentary I'd watch :D:D

I really want to make this as kind of an 'epic' ride - so, sag wagons and such tend to de-tune the overall effect. Kori and I succeeded this with no external assistance - and even in spite of a serious mechanical. There are darn few things left in the world one can tackle as 'adventure' - and this one that does. Japan automatically makes it somewhat safe and risk adverse. Remember - your sag wagon is only a call away and a few hours wait if you really need it.

Back
Top Bottom