What's new

Favourite tyre size?

Wolfman

Speeding Up
Jul 31, 2007
This is just out of interest but what size tyres do most of you run on?

Inspired by Charles' example, idle curiosity, and the need to buy something new for the bike, a few weeks ago I thought I'd sample some (700x) 20c tyres.

I guess I've clocked up about 700km on them now and they're quite nice and light, and nice on the ascents. On the descents though they really feel delicate and if there are grooves in the road (as on the descent from Tomin or, the new TCC fave, Kazahiri) then they strike me as a little bit precarious, and requiring some care.

Granted it could be just the tyres themselves (panaracer stradius elite lite - these were pretty cheap at about 4000 yen each, so I thought they would make a good sample batch) and some other commentators have noted that these could be a bit dicey on descents (review here), but it got me wondering a little about tyre size. It is, after all, only 3mm.

Prior to this I was on 23C and I'm now thinking of a return.

25c and 23c

If I'm on my own and doing touring-style rides, the 25c's are great. Comfy, grippy, and (according to some data I've seen) less rolling resistance. I'd also consider using them in races in the rain.

For keeping up with TCC fast rides and races (of all kinds), then 23c's. They are noticably zippier when pushing hard near maximum effort.

I don't think I'd ever consider anything thinner, especially at my current weight. :warau:.

Used to ride 20c front and 23c rear with 1st generation Michelin Pro Race. Very fast, responsive and exciting (nervous and twitchy) with good feedback (sore botty). Having changed my wheels as well, the 23c F&R Vittoria's now feel very unresponsive and too much like wide cruisers.

Next, I want to try the Continental GP4000S 23c F&R and if the unresponsive feedback is still there then it's back to 20c front and 23c rear.

Conti GP 4000

20cm front and rear.....at 160PSI....way to go !

The only time I have had the slightest queasiness is coming down Kazahari on those horrible striations in the road. Very occasionally the rear will pick up on one of those but it is only a momentary alarm.

Other than that I have the greatest confidence in these tyres.

chazzer

The rookie raises his hand...

It's safe to use narrower tires on the same rims? What's the limit?

These:
surly-pugsley3.jpg

Brrrmmm brrrmmmm!

Changed the tires on my daily commuter yesterday, No brand 28`s to Panaracer 25`s.
What a difference! How much is down to old versus new? but still! Big , noticable difference!
New stuff... You Know you need it!

viittoria randonneurs

I have Vittoria Randonneurs 700x32--rolly polly, armchair comfort, dbl shielded (actually 3 layers and practically bullet proof). I like these a lot and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find replacements in Japan when the time comes?

This is just out of interest but what size tyres do most of you run on?

Inspired by Charles' example, idle curiosity, and the need to buy something new for the bike, a few weeks ago I thought I'd sample some (700x) 20c tyres.

I guess I've clocked up about 700km on them now and they're quite nice and light, and nice on the ascents. On the descents though they really feel delicate and if there are grooves in the road (as on the descent from Tomin or, the new TCC fave, Kazahiri) then they strike me as a little bit precarious, and requiring some care.

Granted it could be just the tyres themselves (panaracer stradius elite lite - these were pretty cheap at about 4000 yen each, so I thought they would make a good sample batch) and some other commentators have noted that these could be a bit dicey on descents (review here), but it got me wondering a little about tyre size. It is, after all, only 3mm.

Prior to this I was on 23C and I'm now thinking of a return.

i've used 20mm, 22mm and 23mm so far..
20mm was on the Hutchison, 22mm on the Conti Comps (tubular) and 23mm on another Hutchinson..

my say would be 22mm is the most comfortable of all even at up to 160psi (perhaps because it's tubular)
currently running 23mm on my clincher wheelset and so far no complaints.

as for tires, Hutchinson is my favourite.

cheers

I have Vittoria Randonneurs 700x32--rolly polly, armchair comfort, dbl shielded (actually 3 layers and practically bullet proof). I like these a lot and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find replacements in Japan when the time comes?

I picked up some 32mm Schwalbe Marathons for my touring bike at a local big box sports store, on sale since they were old stock. But up until I scored those I was looking at wiggle/uk:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/
Scroll way down to browse tyres, maybe the "road city" category. Their service is great.

For my road bike, I ride Bonty 25s (now ¥3700), but I'm never racing/competing on it--more often commuting & training. I get several thousand km out of them, often much more.

Back
Top Bottom