What's new

Far sports carbon wheels

If you read the article he clearly informs you about how the article will pan out:

This year, I'll be blogging quarterly on how I'm getting on with these wheels, how they're bearing up on Scotland's roads and what the differences/similarities are between these and my usual aluminium Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels. I'll check back in April once I've put some miles on them, until then, it's still winter miles for me!

For the record the aluminium Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels are bloody fantastic set of wheels and I used those as my winter training wheels for about 2 seasons.

Also here is a direct link to the FarSPORT website: http://www.farsports.cn/product/pcat_list.php

I did notice that part. But, why post a teaser? Why not whack up a full post once it's all been checked out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more curious about the novatec (sp?) wheels mentioned in another recent roundup on road.cc. I've not managed to find anywhere that stocks them as full builds. I've had a novatec hub on my fixed for a couple of years and have been really impressed by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait a minute.... Is someone saying that Novatec and GSAstuto is the same wheel? Same Rim?

You can buy Novatec wheels in Japan from several retailers in Tokyo - I believe that the cyclingtime.com shop in Tokyo has the whole selection in stock.

But I think one of the issues about the whole Chinese purchasing is the fear factor so I think covering the purchase is a good place to start.

Oh... just for the record.
I am (actually my wife is) Japan distriubtor for Pro-lite. The Bracciano is a great wheel.... stiff and light. The Gavia C50T will make you cum in your pants!

For the record... UCI certification is becoming a huge point for serious racing in Japan.
Wheels are wheels, of course, but Japan is going all out to make sure that products have a test behind them.
Impossible to check all wheels, frames, etc, before a race.... But, they also have an insurance! If a rider is on non-certified gear, the insurance becomes invalid... and, they do check!

@Tim Kendall This is interesting information. I am in the process of designing a hub set. I had intended for part of the testing to involve me giving a set to a selection of racers to see how it stood up to race conditions. Obviously I will not have my product on the official UCI list, so would you imagine this will be an issue? Given what you have said, I suppose it would be.

Yeah! Japan/JCBF doing even more to increase the barriers to racing.
One has to wonder what their goal is. If its to increase the level of racing, they have failed miserably to date.
If its to increase the number of racers, they have failed at that too.

(apologies for the drift)

One has to wonder what their goal is. If its to increase the level of racing, they have failed miserably to date.
It's 90% about revenue,10% safety, nothing more nothing less. Any other stated aims of UCI affiliates is media fluff IMHO. But I might be too cynical.

In regards to the Licensing I would agree Simon, as would many of companies that had to jump through hops to get it - however the new UCI President has also changed the head of the technical department to ensure that the testing is actually there for the protection of riders as well as allow new technologies to guide the future of bikes - for instance the 6.8kg rule is probably going to be the first to go.

But there are those out their that blatantly lie about designing a product themselves, or that they have UCI certification, or they have "Changed the layup" on an open mold - please don't get me started on that one!

And then have the nerve to charge you 200,000 JPY plus on a $350 USD set of cloned/OEM/Quality 2nds wheel sets or frames.

Last edited:

(apologies for the drift)

Partially agree, though the popularity point is incorrect. JBCF membership has increased to a point where the system has become unsustainable. An increase in membership of more than 500% in the past 3 years.
And, I would also disagree with the comment on Level of racing... many riders that were in E1 a few years ago, are really struggling to maintain their position, and many are finding that they are demoted because they are unable to finish races that they were previously comfortable in.

Can I ask when the last time you were in a JBCF race, and what category you are?

Also need to point out that its the JCF to regulate and maintain the rules and regulations for bike racing here in Japan from BMX through to TT's and the JBCF to organise the races within the rules of the JCF.

Basically the JCF is following the rules laid out by the JCF and ultimately the UCI and these regulations are worldwide and not just Japan - I hear the same arguments from my mates and ex-team mates back in the UK and France as well as friends in Australia, Germany and so on. If you want to race without regulations go do the 1 of the hundreds of hillclimb races, or the JCRC races in fact there is so much non-sanctioned racing in Japan you don't even need to be a member of the JCF to race a full season.

Also need to point out that its the JCF to regulate and maintain the rules and regulations for bike racing here in Japan from BMX through to TT's and the JBCF to organise the races within the rules of the JCF.

Basically the JCF is following the rules laid out by the JCF and ultimately the UCI and these regulations are worldwide and not just Japan - I hear the same arguments from my mates and ex-team mates back in the UK and France as well as friends in Australia, Germany and so on. If you want to race without regulations go do the 1 of the hundreds of hillclimb races, or the JCRC races in fact there is so much non-sanctioned racing in Japan you don't even need to be a member of the JCF to race a full season.

Fully agree....

Also as Tim point out there has been a HUGE boom in JCF License holders, races and getting booked out very quickly now in the E2 and E3 categories and it is getting to the point where it is really no longer manageable and they need to reintroduce the lower cats.

A classic example of the imbalance is the Japan Pro Tour teams, there are actually E1 teams that should be Pro Tour while other teams have a full squad that will retire within the first 30km.

Back
Top Bottom