What's new

Tech Factors for Smoother Rides on Small Wheel Bikes

Shouldn't be any difference geometry wise with or without a conventional stem. Steering axis, head angle, trail etc should all be about the same.

I doubt there's a decent full sus mtb at a foldy price.

I doubt there's a decent full sus mtb at a foldy price.
I take your point, but we might call me a 'utility cyclist' who enjoys the ride, rather than a road or off-road cyclist per se, and my expectations are really quite low. I'd be pretty happy with the sort of regular bike I could buy for ¥100,000, which money only buys these entry level foldies.

Last edited:
If you're not an off-road cyclist and the roads you travel are mostly urban Japanese roads, you won't benefit from a full-suspension mountain bike. It weighs more than one without suspension and there are more bits to go wrong. Its wide handlebars mean that riding on the sidewalk (as most of us do, for the odd few metres here or there) risks having you fined. And it's unwieldy when you have to park it somewhere.

OTOH, a no-suspension "garbage bike" (GCN's clickbait term) could be both fun and a more or less rational choice.

you won't benefit from a full-suspension mountain bike.
Understood; I think it was unhelpful that I mentioned the idea. I just meant that for back to back testing,you could compare the folding bikes to real proper bikes, and get a better sense of where the compromises are happening.

I do like the idea of a mini velo with quick releases - they're very light, and would be super fun for urban riding, but I don't think the break down is viable, or the size acceptable.

This is also an excellent video from BikeRadar comparing the rolling resistance of top road racing tyres. It discusses all the factors thatve been raises in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom