What's new

Facing a BB in Tokyo?

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Well, my first forays into sorting out the BB on my old steel-frame Nishiki have already caused much cussing. Attempting to remove the cranks resulted in some frustrating thread-stripping "fun" - the cranks went nowhere, but the threads on the cranks certainly did. So there's that problem. Now I've found out that the BB is British-thread, but 70mm instead of your garden variety 68mm.
I'm not best pleased, but what can you do? I love this bike, so I'll soldier on.

So... Anyone know a shop which can face a BB and sort out my botch job?

Many thanks!

Hiroshi at C Speed knows what he is doing. I am not 'in' with him, but he seems like a good guy, and maybe if you get in touch, he can help you out. I think some others here have a proper relationship with him, so might be able to better advise...

Are you keeping the bike as a 126mm rear spacing? Or is it 130mm? Just that, if you're thinking about upgrading it to 130mm /10sp spacing, you might want to get the BB faced and rear triangle set in one go so the chainline is correct. 2mm is not alot - but it is significant if you're doing both.

Owen - I've checked the blog-website thingy and he seems like he's worth a visit.

GS - I'm planning on sticking with 126 at the moment as all the components are for a 7s. However, if I were to go that route, do you have any recs on places that'd do it?

EDIT: Thanks both, by the way! :D

I've got the Campy HS reamer and facer and the BB Taps, but unfortunately no facer (yet).

Hiroshi from C-speed is the go to man for this job, a true artisan!

Back
Top Bottom