Facing a BB in Tokyo?

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
Well, my first forays into sorting out the BB on my old steel-frame Nishiki have already caused much cussing. Attempting to remove the cranks resulted in some frustrating thread-stripping "fun" - the cranks went nowhere, but the threads on the cranks certainly did. So there's that problem. Now I've found out that the BB is British-thread, but 70mm instead of your garden variety 68mm.
I'm not best pleased, but what can you do? I love this bike, so I'll soldier on.

So... Anyone know a shop which can face a BB and sort out my botch job?

Many thanks!

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Hiroshi at C Speed knows what he is doing. I am not 'in' with him, but he seems like a good guy, and maybe if you get in touch, he can help you out. I think some others here have a proper relationship with him, so might be able to better advise...

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Are you keeping the bike as a 126mm rear spacing? Or is it 130mm? Just that, if you're thinking about upgrading it to 130mm /10sp spacing, you might want to get the BB faced and rear triangle set in one go so the chainline is correct. 2mm is not alot - but it is significant if you're doing both.

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
Owen - I've checked the blog-website thingy and he seems like he's worth a visit.

GS - I'm planning on sticking with 126 at the moment as all the components are for a 7s. However, if I were to go that route, do you have any recs on places that'd do it?

EDIT: Thanks both, by the way! :D

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I've got the Campy HS reamer and facer and the BB Taps, but unfortunately no facer (yet).

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Hiroshi from C-speed is the go to man for this job, a true artisan!