What's new

extra long seat post 25.4 mm dia

hello Andy,

thanks for your response. my hope is finding a seat post no less than 50 cm, possibly even 60. unfortunately, 400 mm is a tad short. thanks anyway.

What kind of bike is it for? What type of seat attachment is it? Might be easier to buy a straight piece of plumbing pipe and fit a collar on it. Most lightweight seatposts at that diameter won't be strong enough to go that long, they will bend. Frame too small?

It's a mamachari - I love the comfort for the about town errands; just need to get more extension for my legs. Ideal size is 25.4mm x 600mm+, enabling as much post as possible in the frame for safety. A few years back I canabalized an old folding bike - the seat post was perfect for the mamachari I had at the time. Now I'm back in Tokyo looking for an extra-long folding bike seat post all the while wishing I would have kept what I had. Regarding 'plumbing pipe', reworking an end so as to enable a fit for a collar seems to be an obstacle. If you have any ideas, please send my way. Thanks!

For the cost,cheaper than a specialty seatpost it's probably easier to buy a used 28 inch mamachari. They typically have a larger seat diameter which will support the longer length and they are also bigger all over, much more comfortable. TBH I think your search is likely to be futile. 600mm pipe at 1 inch diameter will bend as it's not thick enough to support the leverage.

hey, thanks for your good advice. any idea on tracking down a 28 inch mamachari? the shops I've visited 100% agree that it's near impossible to find a 28 inch mamachari ...

Not sure what you think is reasonable but if you were buying new you could get one in two days. I had an aluminum Bridgestone 3 or 5 speed chari that was good for around 28kph cruising. They say it's near impossible cause they want to sell you what they have in stock. http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r146919077 New ones on Rakuten are another 5,000 yen or so.....

Back
Top Bottom