What's new

Everesting Shiraishi

So then, who is going to join this endevour? I'll definitely be there and may take my car to bring some supplies like a BBQ. We could set it up on the side of the road and throw sausages at Mark as he rides by!!

Last edited:
That weekend is the weekend of the Giro De Hotaka so I may be supporting my fellow Team Lüft teammates but, if not, I'd love to come ride a couple of (undoubtedly terribly slow) times up Shiraishi.

So then, who is going to join this endevour? I'll definitely be there and may take my car to bring some supplies like a BBQ. We could set it up on the side of the road and throw sausages at Mark as he rides by!!
I'll help out with the throwing of food!

There has been a bit of a change to the start time. I'm now looking to move the start forward midnight on the Friday night/Saturday morning. That means I'll be riding in the dark at the start of the ride, with a fresh mind and fresh legs. If I start at 8am, the last 6-8 hours would be in the dark. With exhaustion, I don't think descending Shiraishi numerous times in the pitch black would be a good idea at the end of the ride (if I even get that far).

So, please feel free to ride with me on one or more laps. will be good to have people around me, pushing me on when the going gets tough. If you are around Shiraishi at anytime on Saturday 29th October, you should bump into me.

Will rock a few with you mate.

I went up Shiraishi for a recon on Saturday, timing both the climb and descent at a really chilled out pace. It was really useful riding up with @Aron B and talking strategies. It's gonna be fun

@Tuomas and myself will probably join you for one climb and descent, though it's still not 100% certain. We are aiming to meet around 7am @spaceship, so could be at the bottom of Shiraishi by 9 to 9:30 maybe. Will confirm closer to the day. Still can't believe you'll climb and descend that thing 17 times in a row! :eek:

@leicaman I see a forecast of rain for Fri evening through Sat morning. They say 1-2 mm, but I was wondering are you still going on with this? What are the conditions where you might postpone, and the deadline for deciding either way? Thanks.

@TorC Watch this space ;) More than welcome to join if it materializes.

@leicaman I see a forecast of rain for Fri evening through Sat morning. They say 1-2 mm, but I was wondering are you still going on with this? What are the conditions where you might postpone, and the deadline for deciding either way? Thanks.

@TorC Watch this space ;) More than welcome to join if it materializes.
This is still on. If the weather really deteriorates then I may cancel but for now I'm stil on. I'm hoping the rain will stop during the first few hours of the ride and will be lovely for when you guys come out

Good luck tomorrow. My advice is to start overconfident, big ring the first three ascents, blow up bigger than the Hindenburg and spend the next ten hours in agony. (Or, take it 'easy' and do the whole thing in your smallest gear.)

Good luck tomorrow. My advice is to start overconfident, big ring the first three ascents, blow up bigger than the Hindenburg and spend the next ten hours in agony. (Or, take it 'easy' and do the whole thing in your smallest gear.)
Ha ha. Cheers. Wish you could have come and done a few laps with me mate. Hope you are healing well

Does anyone fancy combining a Shiraishi or three with a spaceship to spaceship ride?
Actually, that is exactly what I hope to do, starting from the spaceship at 7am, doing just one climb, descending and heading straight back to be back to the spaceship before 1pm. That is the plan in case I can ride tomorrow, which I'll be able to confirm 100% only later this afternoon. @Tuomas has also expressed interest, at least for the outgoing leg of the ride

IMG_1203.PNG As of now, the attempt is still on. I'm hoping it will stop raining before my midnight start but if it doesn't , hopefully it won't be torrential rain.

Back
Top Bottom