What's new

Everesting Shiraishi

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
One of my goals for this year is to Everest a climb. This involves climbing ascending and descending the same climb numerous times to achieve an total elevation gain of 8848m (the height of Mt.Everest). I've decided that my first everesting attempt will be on the well known Shiraishi toge climb. At the moment I don't have any firm plans or dates but I would like to see if anyone is interested in making an attempt with me. I couldn't think of anything more boring than doing it by myself (apart from running on a treadmill) so the more the merrier. The good thing about this attempt is that you can do it at your own pace. The climb is 6.4km with an elevation gain of 538m (av 8.4% gradient) which means the climb must be done 17 times. Let me know if you are interested in participating in this slight madness with me.

Oh and thanks to @Musashi13 for the links to the everesting calculators.

That is about 9 hours of Shiraishi in a row and that is without descending.

Hmm.

Do we have to big ring it?

thats an interesting choice of hill given the gradient. 1st couple of reps on 8% no problem but towards the end that's going to be tough!

I'll be locked onto your wheel the whole way. I mean, I will literally lock my bike to yours and let you pull me up Shiraishi 17 times. That is probably the only way I'll get it done.

Good luck. I reckon if you contact a Japanese cycling magazine and they'll write a nice article about you.

... I reckon if you contact a Japanese cycling magazine and they'll write a nice article about you.

leicaman--since you are superb with a camera, the only thing they'd need to add would be some text, or simply edit what you might provide.

An alternative might be to do the monkey's dozen enough times. (And the blue monkey might consider sponsoring you for that. I would if I were them--it'd be a great advertising hook.)

leicaman--since you are superb with a camera, the only thing they'd need to add would be some text, or simply edit what you might provide.

That is not how is works.

Good idea on contacting a magazine though, although I sure they would give you erm, nothing at all for running the story.

I have been thinking about this, and the following numbers seem reasonable.

Given that it needs to be done 17 times, pacing is important (say me!). Going mental and hammering out 25 minutes the first time up, and killing yourself then not being able to finish obviously isn't the way to go. A steady 30 mins each time would seem better, and would give a nice round number to aim for, even though the first few times might seem like you are taking it unnecessarily easy. Descending Shiraishi; how long does that take? About 10 mins, isn't it? If we give it a conservative 15, for cars, etc. that is 45 minutes per loop.

45 * 17 = 765 minutes.

765 minutes with no stopping / toilet / mechanicals.

The mechanicals part can be avoided if you go with someone else / a support group, who can hand over a new wheel if you get a puncture, etc. Toilet and stopping for various reasons, including eating, is not, and will add, lets conservatively say 45 minutes to the whole event,

So, 765 + 45 = 810.

Call is 800, and that really depends on being able to consistently climb at the same mid-effort pace. Which should be OK, but you never.

So, 800 / 60 = 13.3333 hours.

Call it 14 hours, for a very very consistent performance.

Are there enough daylight ours in Japan to do this without lights?

@TCC i think you calculation of 14hours is probably a little hopeful. I'm thinking it will take quite a bit longer than this. Lights will be a must. I plan of driving up to the base of the climb and having spare wheels etc in the car. I'll most probably take my EZ up too.

I suppose contacting a magazine would be pretty cool. Whether they would run anything on it I'm not sure. Obviously not doing it to try and get anything from them.

Big ring is optional

Ah OK. Do you have any kind of rough idea of what sort of time you will be aiming for each ascent? Interesting to see the planning going into this.

Also, as you will be doing the same course again and again, you could do with some musical accompaniment.

I have got you covered for the first 10 hours. After that, you might want to try another genre...

One of my goals for this year is to Everest a climb. This involves climbing ascending and descending the same climb numerous times to achieve an total elevation gain of 8848m (the height of Mt.Everest). I've decided that my first everesting attempt will be on the well known Yomiuri V Dori climb. At the moment I don't have any firm plans or dates but I would like to see if anyone is interested in making an attempt with me. I couldn't think of anything more boring than doing it by myself (apart from running on a treadmill) so the more the merrier. The good thing about this attempt is that you can do it at your own pace. The climb is 0.7km with an elevation gain of 63 (av 9.0% gradient) which means the climb must be done 141 times. Let me know if you are interested in participating in this slight madness with me.

@leicaman So this is definitely "On" is it? I'll join for a few rounds and help with the support gear if you like. You could do with having a feed and drink stop at the top, so you can fill up and then let everything settle a bit on the descent before heading up again.

What gearing are you planning on using? I think you need at least a 32 on the rear. Maybe even a 34.

One of my goals for this year is to Everest a climb. This involves climbing ascending and descending the same climb numerous times to achieve an total elevation gain of 8848m (the height of Mt.Everest). I've decided that my first everesting attempt will be on the well known Yomiuri V Dori climb. At the moment I don't have any firm plans or dates but I would like to see if anyone is interested in making an attempt with me. I couldn't think of anything more boring than doing it by myself (apart from running on a treadmill) so the more the merrier. The good thing about this attempt is that you can do it at your own pace. The climb is 0.7km with an elevation gain of 63 (av 9.0% gradient) which means the climb must be done 141 times. Let me know if you are interested in participating in this slight madness with me.

Haha, I wonder what the smallest thing that has been Everested is.

@leicaman So this is definitely "On" is it? I'll join for a few rounds and help with the support gear if you like. You could do with having a feed and drink stop at the top, so you can fill up and then let everything settle a bit on the descent before heading up again.

Haha, we could set up some kind of mad party at the top, with a massive Turbo Sound rig blasting out avalanche triggering bass. This would act as a good motivator, as the nearer the top you get, the louder the music gets.

I'm sure @Adam Cobain is your man for advice on this.

I'm no expert but if I was choosing a climb, about 7% average would be good. Some variation in grade is good, long steady sections are best. Short sharp steep sections over 9, 10% best avoided?

Also the less technical the better. I'm thinking for the descent. Ideally you want to pedal, eat, drink and stretch on the descent.

In terms of food and drink, variety is important. Think what you'll be craving after 10 hours in the saddle.

To this end, I'd park the car to grab supplies at the top. Do all your fueling on the descent. Also, it's easier to climb than descend should you get a puncture. And maybe you are more likely to want to give up and climb into the car at the bottom than the top?

If you can't do it all in daylight, I would aim to finish at sunset and do your first climbs in darkness.

Also if this is done on a pass, can you do both sides? 8 or 9 of each side is less taxing mentally.

Anyway, just some ideas. Enjoy the planning!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Haha, we could set up some kind of mad party at the top, with a massive Turbo Sound rig blasting out avalanche triggering bass. This would act as a good motivator, as the nearer the top you get, the louder the music gets.

We HAVE to do this.

@andywood some very valid points there. You are probably right in parking the car at the top. Unfortunately one of the rules of everesting is that it has to be the same climb. You can't do the other side of the hill.

I'm not sure about times but if I remember rightly , @Adam Cobain took over 20hours (maybe even 24) and he is a stronger climber than me, so I'll probably starting in the dark and finishing in the dark, on which day, who knows!

@Andy in Tokyo your help/presence would be much appreciated, along with anyone else who comes along to laugh or point at me. I am hoping others will want to actually attempt the everesting though.

Gearing will be my 28. I never usually use the 28 (apart from the fuji Azami climb) so when the going gets tough, a 28 will be welcome.

I chose the climb because I want to challenge myself. I know it won't be an easy climb to do, that's why I'm doing it ;)

I'll be there, documenting to the best of my ability. Might do the climb once with you towards the end when you're dead so I can ride beside you and sing and make all kinds of noise you don't want to hear when you're suffering :innocent: payback gonna be sweet!

And right on you for picking Shiraishi, definitely not taking the easy one, suits you best. I have no doubt in my mind you will make it thou.

Pick an day with overcast instead of sun and I'll think you're are golden

Last edited:
I also have a solid goal to Everest this year. On what climb, I don't know, yet. Something around 6% would be best for leg conservation. From my calculations, utilizing the full 24 hours will be essential. I intend on doing 3 big elevation lead up rides before attacking the main event. Well, you know, if there's anyone that could do it, it'd be the proven marathon man @leicaman .

I want to join but will probably be busy playing my broken record collection of 'My Right Knee' by 'The Injuries'.

I think steeper grade can be compensated for by gearing, to get the pretty much the same vertical climbing speed.

Why not reduce the monotony by doing something like Shibu-Toge on the Nagano-Gunma border? Climb from somewhere below Yudanaka on the Nagano side and you can do more like 1700-1800 meters in one climb, then go down into Kusatsu and do a "short" 1100-1200 meter climb back up. Repeat 3 times and you will be done! And you get some spectacular views on each side.

Or, a bit steep, but you could do Odarumi Pass starting just NW of Enzan, Yamanashi -- almost 2000 meters elevation gain, so up 4 times and then a quick loop over Yakiyama Pass and you would be done?

I don't even know where Shiraishi is but if I am free on your chosen day, I shall find it and go at least 1/17th of the way with you.

Back
Top Bottom