What's new

Etape de Fuji HC

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Hi, mina-san!

As you know, TCC participates in Mt. Fuji International Hill Climb Race, which is why in order to test our readiness for the race, I`m proposing this training run. It would also be a great advantage to know the route (grade) for those, who`ve never done it before. And for those who don`t plan to race, or can`t join it due to conflicts with their schedules - why not try it now?

The date is 1st of June. Time - 10.00 (can be changed). Place - Ashigara(?) station (足柄駅).

Map taken from Fuji race thread:
https://tokyocycle.com/tcc_tours/mtfuji_hillclimb/fuji_hill_climb_2006.htm
Never been in that area myself, so, any advice is appreciated.
Route 150 from Ashigara st. should take us right to the goal (~15 kms from the station to the start + 11 km climb). I suppose it will be quite cold at the race goal, so taking some warm clothes with you would be a good idea. After the climb - back to the station or........ well, 246 is the fastest way back to Tokyo :)

All Fuji race participants are most encouraged to come:
- Chazzer
- Richy152
- Shinobu
- Sora
- Thomas
- kpykc
- Pucci
- Elvis
- jakeamin

Who will challenge the Terrors of Azami Line?! :D

Count me in

too !!

Charles aka chazzer

I've been waiting for an opportunity to join you guys, and maybe this is it! :)
However, I need some advise...
I got my bike about 6 months back, and have only an additional 6 months riding experience back home (a few years ago).
Further, I have never (ever) done a climb.
So, would it be silly for me to try this ride as my first climb? :eek:
Also, could you tell me the approximate riding time for the 11 km climb for a beginner.
Cheers!

For me hill climbs have nothing to do with experience...it's more a gravity equation.
How heavy are you?
Just do as many hills as possible (soon) to see how you feel.
I wouldn't do this ride with no hills under the belt at all, even if I was an anorexic mountain goat.

Thanks for the advise :)
I'm 80 kg at 5'10".
I live hear Hashimoto and there seems to be hills very near by, but don't know where to head...
I was getting around to posting to ask for some tips on hills to climb nearby here...

>Richy152
Great to have you! 246 and 413 are almost parallel, but 413 ends at Hashimoto st., and 246 goes all the way to the Imperial palace. I think both are loaded with cars all the time.

>Chazzer
It will be nice to ride with you again!

>simon
as Edogawakikkoman said, it's a difficult one. As for me, I would never try it for my first climb.
I am quite often starting at Hashimoto st. when going to the mountains. There are lots of short loops around route 413, which you can explore. Yabitsu toge (route 70) is also a good place to train.

Ok, I'll give this one a miss and hope to catch up with you guys some other time.
And I'll get myself a map and have a look for those routes you suggested.
Thanks again :)

I have to agree, I sometimes wonder why I actually bother trying climbing as most of the time i'm kinda regretting starting out..... Fuji really must be like that and awfully tough. I probably wouldn't try it as a starter.

One of my favourite routes is up to toumin no mori (都民の森). If you leave Itsukaichi station, follow route 33, then turn up 205. Then just follow it through. First time I did this I wanted to give up two or three times, but it was quite a nice introduction. There's a little cafe at the top where you can rest, or as you get used to it (the first few times i didn't get past the cafe), you can do the descent and have ramen at the bottom. In that sense it's quite convenient.

Incidentally, I got a new bike this week and was actually going to take it up there tomorrow morning. There's a 60-70% chance of rain, but I'm hoping this will be in the afternoon. Because of this, I'll be arriving earlyish - about 7 or 7:30.

If you fancy joining please send me a pm.

Soon you'll be a pro!

Hey Simon,

I know that when you're just getting into cycling, it can be intimidating to read all these posts about crazy climbs, blazing descents, etc., but with just a little practice in the hills, you'll soon be slinging adjectives like "epic" and "relentless" with the best of them on this forum.

Judging from some of my hyperbole-laden posts here, you'd think I used to race in Europe or something, with my trash talk about shattering records and giving my awestruck comrades The Look before zooming up the mountain to an easy victory. But the reality is, I'm a newbie, and my first climb, ever, was on Jan. 3, 2007.

Just get out there and hit the hills when you can. Your confidence and strength will grow by leaps with each ride, as very likely will your passion for cycling. And if you keep this up fairly regularly, by this time next year, you will be a man transformed, boasting about your superhuman exploits in the mountains! :)

Here is a link to the map of my first ever climb, which I think may be in your neighborhood: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/102346

I'm taking it easy this weekend due to a funky knee, but if you're interested, I'd be happy to introduce you -- and anyone else who wants to join -- to the mountains (via the route linked to above) next Saturday (May 31).

Deej

Thanks for the advise :)
I'm 80 kg at 5'10".
I live hear Hashimoto and there seems to be hills very near by, but don't know where to head...
I was getting around to posting to ask for some tips on hills to climb nearby here...

Thanks for all the help guys!
And sorry to diverge from the original post, to helping out a newbie :eek:

Richy152, thanks for the offer. I was about to take you up on it, but I'm having some treatment done on my lower back this and next week, so I'd better do as they say, and rest.

Deej, nice to meet you ;) I've always enjoyed reading your posts :D
> Jan. 3, 2007
Holly crap! :eek:
> to the mountains next Saturday (May 31).
Cool! That be great :)
I checked the route and it looks like you will be passing through the section of Tama River I always ride (from near Y's Road towards the city until the footpath turns to dirt)?

Maybe you can send me a PM or open up a new thread, Intro to the Hills by the Master :D

Maybe you can send me a PM or open up a new thread

Nice to meet you, too, Simon. OK, I'll PM you about the ride. But you mentioned you are having work done on your lower back. Would you be ready for a ride, a rather rigorous one at that, by next Saturday? Maybe you can answer that in a PM, as I fear we are hijacking Sergey's thread!

Deej

I would like to join, but Sunday is a no-go for me. Then again, I have climbed the *mountain of hell* already twice. :D

Saturday, we could ride out from Tokyo and up R413 to Yamanakako and then do the climb?

I have actually thought of that, Philip. However, I suggest to start out via R246 and Gotenba, do the climb and continue to Yamanakako via R138. The rest is the "usual" Doshi run via R413. That would be a long and certainly unforgettable 300+km-day... :)

Oops, I don't know where your post (see quote) has gone... :warau:

I'd like to join.But...仕事です:cry:
次の機会があったら、参加させてください。
mina-san,Have a good time :)

> Thomas & Shinobu
It's a pity you will not be joining us, next time then. (which is probably the race itself)

Weather forecast changes all the time - now it's "clouds" both Saturday and Sunday. Hope it won't change to rain later :warau:

I was just checking out Tom's blog and realised that the Funride Fuji Hillclimb will be going on this weekend, that is, 1st June.

http://fujihc.jp/

I guess this could pose some problems for our own Etape de Fuji HC as it is likely to see us gatecrashing a paid event.

Different location . . .

This weekends Funride Fuji Hillclimb event will take place along the Fuji Subaru Line:

http://www.fujihc.jp/data/08fhc_guide2.pdf

whilst your training ride goes up from the Gotemba side along the Fuji Azumi Line so you should have no conflicts.

Philip

I was just checking out Tom's blog and realised that the Funride Fuji Hillclimb will be going on this weekend, that is, 1st June.

http://fujihc.jp/

I guess this could pose some problems for our own Etape de Fuji HC as it is likely to see us gatecrashing a paid event.

Back
Top Bottom