Ergo Challenge

Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
So we're all in the gym, between rides, building up our core strength this time of year?;) Always good to find a machine that provides an alterntive to the bike and still builds strength/endurance in lots of muscle groups.

Before we go any further I would like to say that I don't like rowing. I have short legs and short arms, blah, blah. BUT enough of the excuses... you can't lie to the Concept 2 Rower. It knows you aren't fit enough. There's no hills to coast on the descent, no incline to reduce when you are tired, no extra minute recovery between the rep. I %$#!ing hate that machine.

So here's the challenge for your once (?) a week vist to the gym. 30 minutes (yes, 30 full mins - treat it as a warm-up before the weights if you are into pushing iron) - what distance can you row?

My starter this morning was 7252m - the little screen said that was an average of 2:041 /500m

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
At the University when I wasn't cycling , I was rowing. But no sculls in shouting distance here (how come? there's a river!) .. I'll check the Tama Sports center and see if they have an erg. BTW- my earliest exposure to real training was based entirely on erg sessions vis a vis crew and a semi-sadistic kinesiologist Phd candidate-girlfriend. Can you say sufferingguinneapig fast?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
If there was a gym close enough to me with one of these I would join just to use it..... There is a reason rowers move in to professional cycling very easily and that Shimano make SPD systems for rowing boats :D

At the University when I wasn't cycling , I was rowing. But no sculls in shouting distance here (how come? there's a river!) .. I'll check the Tama Sports center and see if they have an erg. BTW- my earliest exposure to real training was based entirely on erg sessions vis a vis crew and a semi-sadistic kinesiologist Phd candidate-girlfriend. Can you say sufferingguinneapig fast?
Tim TSURUMIGAWA mate! two rowing clubs down by route 15!!!!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
@FE - cool! I will try to find it! I have seen rowing club in the lake at Sagamiko, and up river on the Arakawa, but not so close. <not> fond memories of Montlake Cut at 0500 in the dark dodging tugs and barges in 4's and 8's.

basilleroux

Maximum Pace
Jun 26, 2011
Tokyo
With a Concept 2 at home it forms part of my training. Its great for both aerobic and anaerobic training. Key test in the 2km and getting good times (sub 7m) depends a lot on technique.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
What next? TCC boat races on the Palace moat under the cherry blossom? Or the swan boats at Ueno Park? At least the latter involves some pedalling.

FWIW I do a 4 min = 1000 m warm-up on the rower, followed by 100 skips, before I hit the weights - currently times a week. No desire or need to be warmer or to row for longer.
My starter this morning was 7252m - the little screen said that was an average of 2:041 /500m
Pics, or it didn't happen. I enjoyed the phrase "It knows you're not fit enough."

Incidentally I rented a Concept 2 once when I was home at my mum's for the holidays. It's a big machine when it's in your kitchen.

Last edited:
May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Any of you brave enough to face 30mins on an erg?
OK, OK. Only because there's no Pilates this week and the forecast is for snow so I didn't ride today.

Challenge accepted.

Challenge completed.

Je tu présente ton cul. I'd wave to encourage you to catch up, but I don't think you'd see me from back there.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.com%2Fa%2Fimg690%2F5160%2Fm4fa.jpg&hash=b1de3d36ebf3f60c886d9902b8da8146

And here are some of my blisters. (Banana for scale.) Such sensitive skin.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.com%2Fa%2Fimg855%2F1416%2Fvqu9.jpg&hash=ad882ae15952807dda8d058c41bf60df

Perhaps my PM4 is more hydrodynamic than your PM3.

Last edited:

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
you need the damper at 5.
I shall give it a go next Monday, but previously I've found between 7.5-8.5 have produced the best results for me. Might be because I am short and most rowers are 6 foot titans able to pull the oar a good 20cm more distance in a single stroke than I. Reducing the resistance while maintaining the same oar pull sounds like a recipe for the Stroke Index to have to go up a great deal to compensate or having to kick so hard you go off the back of the seat (done that before on an ergo race with a mate and it wasn't pleasant.... )