What's new

Official Ride ePerformance Training Camp October 15th and 16th

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Dear all,

After receiving many emails from participants of the March camp wanting to know if we would hold any more professional training camps in Japan, we are proud to announce that we will hold a camp in Japan on October 15th and 16th 2011.

The cost of the camp is ¥30,000 but members of the original camp in March will receive a ¥5,000 yen discount. If you have not received the email with the rebate information please drop me a line at:

james at eperformance.jp

Right now we are looking at several locations for the camp and to help us get a better understanding of the amount of people wishing to attend. If you are interested in joining this camp please let us know as we are limited to the number of athletes that can attend to between 17 and 25 depending on location.

For those that were unable to attend or interested in this new camp please see below for the Intinary of the camp, please note that the following Itinary is not final and is subject to change depending on location.

Saturday October 15th

9:00 – 9:30: Registration and Introductions

10:00 – 11:00: Morning Theory classes

1. The basic cycling posture.

• Pelvic tilt
• Shoulders and neck
• The back
• The core
• Knees and elbows
• Hand positions​

2. Pedalling economy

• Toe up or down and its effect on circulation
• The 90 degree rule and its effect on your alignment
• Muscular engagement throughout the stroke
• The 4 dimensions of the stroke broken down one by one
• Secrets of the hip flexors
• Seat post height and its direct relationship to pedalling economy​

3. Basic understanding of bicycle fit

•Why it is important to understand bicycle fitting
• Fitting the foot to the shoe and pedal. Metatarsal alignment
• Pedalling style and its impact on seat post height
• Determining the saddle fore and aft as well as tilt
• Advantages of a well chosen saddle
• Torso geometry
• Adjusting the handlebars
• Difference between TT / TRI and Road fit​

4. Riding in a Peloton

• Why ride in a pack. Benefits
• Learning how to do "The Wheel"
• Controlling your speed in the peloton​

12:00 – 13:00: Lunch

13:30 – 14:30: Practical on the bike drills

1. Making contact with other riders. 2 man group drills
2. Cornering drill. Understanding the bottom bracket's relationship to cornering
3. "The Wheel" off bike walk through

14:40 – 17:00: Group rides

4. 2 hour road ride.

Finally!! We will be staying on relatively flat or mildly undulating terrain and staying at speeds below 30 kilometers and hour for group A and hovering around the low 30s for group B. Our primary focus will be implementing what we covered in class:

 Proper posture and general technique
 Maintaining a tight pack formation
 Maintaining proper cadence
 Remembering when to fuel your body​

17:40 – 19:00: Dinner

19:00 – 21:00: Q&A session with instructors and supervisors R&R.

21:00 – 22:30: Onsen time!!!!!!!!!!! Optional stretching afterward.

Sunday October 16th

7:40 – 9:00: Breakfast

9:00 – 11:00: Morning Theory classes

1. Hill Climbing

• Momentum's your friend
• Dangers of pedal stroke compensation
• Saddle repositioning
• Upper body stabilization
• Hand positioning for maximum efficiency
• Pedalling while standing
• Splaying the hand and palm​

2. Adjusting your bike for the event
• Selecting the right handlebar diameter
• Selecting the right stem
• Selecting the right wheels
• Tire pressure
• Gearing​

11:30 – 12:30: Lunch

13:00 – 15:00: Practical

3. We will ride to a hill and put into practice what we discussed today.
Riders will have a specialized drill involving the isolation of the upper body while climbing

13:00 – 15:00: Group rides

4. Congratulations!

Now you are ready to put it all together!

• The rides will be split in to several groups depending on skill and departure times. Riders wishing to return to the camp earlier are free to join shorter rides.

15:45 – 16:45: Official Break Camp.

*Please note that due to unforeseen events scheduled times may be subject to change. We ask you to assist in keeping us on time arriving to each class or training session on time.

Athletes that have confirmed attendance.

1. Tim Smith
  2. Graham Davis
  3. Mike Sims-Williams
  4. Jose Flores
  5. Nuiko Kishi
  6. Penny Hale
  7. Julian Stevens
  8. Phil Ryan

Would definitely be interested in joining. Is this open to riders of any experience? I would consider myself a novice rider, doing about 70-100km per week, and I certainly need to improve on my riding skills.

Thanks.

Doubletrouble,

Many thanks for your post,

This camp is aimed at novice to intermediate riders but we have also had experienced riders join as there are theory and practical based parts of the course that appeal to Advanced riders that have weaknesses or want to know more about certain techniques covered on the course, especailly the climbing.

During the practical classes we actually split the groups so that you are riding with other athletes of the same abilities and with an assistant coach that will explain and go over the theory based aspects that we are practicing.

Please drop me an email or a PM and I can reserve you a slot at the camp as right now we are giving first priority to TCC and Half-fast members. Once we have the Japanese documentation ready we will then open it to other affiliated groups and clubs.

• Tim Smith
  • Graham Davis
  • Mike Sims-Williams
  • Jose Flores
  • Nuiko Kishi
  • Penny Hale
  • Julian Stevens
  • Phil Ryan
  • Isobel Tanaka
  • Steven Harwood
  • Colin Rundle
  • Akira Kamijo
  • Jeroen van Wilgenburg
  • Travis Jackson - Pending surgery to remove his head or is it arm???

Places are filling up fast and we have about 12 left. Im waiting to hear back from two groups so please let me know if you are interested so I can reserve you a slot.

James

Dear all,

Places are filling up very fast and we only have 6 places left. So please if you are interested in attending please let me know so we can reserve a slot for you.

Dates: 15th and 16th October 2011.

• Tim Smith
  • Graham Davis
  • Mike Sims-Williams
  • Jose Flores
  • Nuiko Kishi
  • Penny Hale
  • Julian Stevens
  • Phil Ryan
  • Isobel Tanaka
  • Steven Harwood
  • Colin Rundle
  • Akira Kamijo
  • Jeroen van Wilgenburg
  • Megumi Maruyama
  • Andreas Lundquist
  • Frode Pleym
  • Naoko Saegusa
  • Christopher Kossowski

Places are filling up fast and we have about 1 place left.

Im waiting to hear back from two groups so please let me know if you are interested so I can reserve you a slot.

James

• Tim Smith
  • Graham Davis
  • Mike Sims-Williams
  • Jose Flores
  • Nuiko Kishi
  • Penny Hale
  • Julian Stevens
  • Phil Ryan
  • Isobel Tanaka
  • Steven Harwood
  • Colin Rundle
  • Akira Kamijo
  • Jeroen van Wilgenburg
  • Megumi Maruyama
  • Andreas Lundquist
  • Frode Pleym
  • Naoko Saegusa
  • Christopher Kossowski
  • Mary Hager
  • Scott Ponzani
  • Jay Johannesen

List updated. If you have not sent your details to me could you please send it to my email address.

I'm waiting to see if we can fit more people in to the accommodation if so we will have space for 3 more people.

We've had an amazing response and Im sad to say we are unable to take anymore bookings.

However if there are more parties interested we may also be able to run a camp the following week as well.

The Itinerary has gone out. Ifyou have not received it please let me know!

James, can you give us a weather update please - what kind of temperature should we expect? Graham

Graham.... take Autumn and Winter riding gear as the although the weather is looking fantastic it still gets cold at 2708m as we ride no matter what.

You are doing Norikura?? Wow, that will be freezing cold, even if you have the greatest weather. I would predict it will be literally around freezing point up there, and the wind will make it feel even colder.

Ludwig... .will only do Norikura if weather is permitting but this is a skills and training camp so class room work as well as on the road. Plenty of climbs and roads that will be sufficient for this.

Norikura

Just rode to the top of Norikura today. Oh the beautiful colors!
It was 15 at the base of the climb (this last month it has been 13 3 times, so today was warmer :) ) not sure how cold it was at the top, but it was definitly cold! Here is what I wore, and It was almost perfect for the weather.

Base layer
Short sleeve jersey
Winter arm warmers (a thicker fabric)
Knee warmers
Bib shorts
Vest that has a fleece lining made by pearl izumi(this blocks wind 100%)
I used Hot Sauce on my legs and feet only
Regular cycling socks
Long finger gloves
Cycling cap for the way up, thin hat that covers ears thats dry for the way down
I will wear full leg warmers or my roubaix fabrick pants depending on the weather next week and possibly shoe covers for the decent. Some would prefer a Long sleeve Jacket or Jersey.

The full finger gloves are absolutely neccesary if going to the top.
I really think the vest was key as well, protecting the wind from my wet chest. Any thing that blocks the wind from your chest is good. You dont want to be too hot though either. Some people I know like to wear a standard rain poncho (cycling type, no hood, tighter fitting with clearance of your lower back and wrists)in this type of weather.

Fall wear is OK for around the base and even to the top of the super rindo (another possible climb in the area) So short gloves and a thin vest are a good idea to bring as well. Definitly gonna need a base layer any where this time of year in Nagano.
If you are really cold at the top they sell 5oo yen rain ponchos that shield wind really well.

Hope that helps let me know if you have any questions.
YOU MUST bring two days of cloths, They have no dryer at Northstar and your cloths will not dry over night hanging, I tried it at the Shine On event and had to have them spin dry it in there washer in the morning, and they were still a bit damp, not to mention they were super busy preparing breakfast and such so do yourself and them a favor and bring 2 sets of cloths.

Just a note on the hot sauce I refered to, it was sportscare sportsbalm pre sports hot balm. You need to wash with soap and rinse 3 or 4 times before getting into the onsen unless you want to know what wasabe would feel like if your legs were your tounge. Really, wash rinse repeat no less than 3 times. Dont use a rag until your 3rd time, as it wil just transfer to the rag. Put this stuff on a good 30 minutes before you ride, it lasts for hours but I have noticed its activated only after it sits for a while.

James - can you send these pearls of wisdom out to everyone as I don't think they all read the BBS

Hey Mike.... yep been checking the forecasts myself and was in the process of writting an email.

One thing I would like to point out though is the purpose of the camp is not to climb Norikura.... it seems some people are zeroing in on this as the main purpose or objective of the camp.

I agree It would be great if we can but it's something that will be decided on the day.

right back to the email!

Chuck.... many thanks for heading out and checking the roads!

Oh in regards to clothes dryer ....there is I used it but they charge :D

James - thanks for setting this up. It far exceeded my expectations and was a great camp, training session and amazing setting. Anyone who missed out on this should definitely signup for the next one! Patrick is a superb coach and gave me more tips in 20min than I've had in 20yrs!

Tim, really pleased you enjoyed it and got so much from the camp!

Also many thanks for your support and input really great having you there and stay tuned for more events this year! Really exciting things on the horizon with ePerformance Japan.

Tim, really pleased you enjoyed it and got so much from the camp!

Also many thanks for your support and input really great having you there and stay tuned for more events this year! Really exciting things on the horizon with ePerformance Japan.

Would love to hear more from the camp...and when next one is :)

Back
Top Bottom