What's new

Enforcement of cycling rules from June 1st

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
I've been hearing rumours about there being an enforcement of cycling rules from June 1st. I was wondering if there was an official document detailing any changes and if so, would someone be able to translate it for us all? I'm sure it will be very useful.

Cheers

Last edited:
So just follow the cycling (road) rules?

Not sure if it's in the "rules", but I go thru two tunnels on the way to work.

It would be nice if the high schoolers predictably kept left.

Looks like this is new: http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/kotu/bicycle/kousyu.htm

From June 1st the police will start handing out tickets to cyclists for breaking a list of 14 rules, which is the usual stuff (ignoring lights, ignoring stop signs, ignoring level crossings, cycling drunk). If you get 2 tickets within a period of 3 years, you are given an order to attend a cycling training course. The course lasts 3 hours and costs you 5,700 yen. If you decide to ignore that order, you get a fine of up to 50,000 yen.

Also, if you cause 2 traffic accidents within a period of 3 years, you are also given that same order.

Looks like this is new: http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/kotu/bicycle/kousyu.htm

From June 1st the police will start handing out tickets to cyclists for breaking a list of 14 rules, which is the usual stuff (ignoring lights, ignoring stop signs, ignoring level crossings, cycling drunk). If you get 2 tickets within a period of 3 years, you are given an order to attend a cycling training course. The course lasts 3 hours and costs you 5,700 yen. If you decide to ignore that order, you get a fine of up to 50,000 yen.

Also, if you cause 2 traffic accidents within a period of 3 years, you are also given that same order.
Excellent. Cheers mate. Much appreciated

Key to being penalised is being unobservant enough to commit the infraction in front of a policeman.

I may live to eat my helmet for this: if you can't spot a cop at a junction or crossing in 'cycling safety campaign' mode, and stop, then you deserve what you get.

. . . you are given an order to attend a cycling training course. The course lasts 3 hours and costs you 5,700 yen.

That sounds extremely reasonable. I do concede that I need extra training in cycling, in skills ranging from

to

I shall be delighted if there is any improvement in:

Tw@s cycling with no lights
Tw@s cycling the wrong way up the carriageway
Tw@s busting through crossings inches from pedestrians
Tw@s parking or driving their cars/trucks in designated bike lanes

But I suspect the police will more actively target cyclists rolling through 'stop' lines and rolling safely through obviously empty junctions on a red light. And they'll stop anyone and everyone for a safety lecture to reach their quota in the next two weeks.

I must say I quite enjoy the Driver Re-programming I inevitably endure once every three years. (Motorcycling is not conducive to Gold Licence-holding)

In retrospect I'm grateful for a very minor but very painful injury I suffered when my motorbike went down and I landed on top of it, or more precisely on one of its wing mirrors. If something that minor could hurt that bad.... From then on, I was Tokyo's most cautious motorcyclist.

What if the cops stopped and fined some of the many people who (whether out of self-delusion, inattentiveness, senility, whatever) drive cars with no lights after dark?

What if the cops stopped and fined some of the many people who (whether out of self-delusion, inattentiveness, senility, whatever) drive cars with no lights after dark?
Then I'll be a monkey's uncle. (I have cautioned cops for doing this, and received precisely the same uncomprehending stare you would expect.)

Does this mean the cops also have to know if a cyclist should be on the road or the path?

Back
Top Bottom