Energy Bars in Japan

RJMang

Cruising
Jul 19, 2013
I'm starting a 7-week cycling trip the length of Japan in a few weeks and am looking for some brand suggestions for energy bars I can purchase at the local convenience stores. In the US I normally use Cliff Bars - not sweet, lots of carbohydrates, good source of protein and sodium - and they taste reasonably good.

Any ideas for brands of bars I can find in Japan?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Why eat crap?

The amazing thing about Japan is the incredible amount of convinience stores even in the most remote of places allowing you to eat real food - not only that butsample local cuisine - why come all the way to Japan just to eat prefab, processed foods?

Rice balls are the way to go!

rommelgc

Maximum Pace
Sep 3, 2009
Setagaya
RJMang First time visiting Japan? Hope you did your research.
You won't find Cliff or Powerbars at the local conbini. Some will have VAAM gels.

As mentioned above rice balls are the way to go. Most convenience stores (711, Lawson, Family Mart, etc) have an area full of rice balls. Balls of rice or in triangular or cigar shaped. They have a small amount of filling. And there are tons to choose from. ツナ is tuna. ツナマヨ is tuna mayo(nnaise).

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
You can buy Cliff Bars at any Y's Road. As for the conbinis - the nearly same glycemic starch muck exists in the form of overly polished and process rice. And there is a plethora of other <local> delicacies consisting namely of starchy bean paste, processed white flour pastries, various , insidious gels, quantities of worthless so called 'sports drinks'. You will feel pretty much at home as any 7-11 with a Big Gulp and a Corn Dog. Look forward to your results on Strava, btw!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
@HFC Mike - exactly. I will ride tomorrow with a meal starting of oatmeal cooked in my own urine and then eating only oatmeal /fig bar with moisture derived, yet again , from my own urine. As the ancient yogis surmised that total circulation brought one closer to the universal center and equilibrium, which includes hydration (as it were). A frozen tomato will be placed in jersey pocket to supplement that which is given (in urine) to the universe.