What's new

Endurance food

koribeyer

Speeding Up
May 29, 2008
Today has been beautiful but the forecast is bad enough to call this my last day. As such, I'm planning to ride rt 13 till dawn / first train / when the rain goes from light to miserable.

To others that have done 24 hour rides -- any suggestions on what to eat to keep you going ? Energy drinks to cherish or avoid? What's with this royal jelly stuff anyway?

Any tips are helpful.

So 140km done. 12 hours till dawn.

On long rides (12 hrs plus), what's worked best for me are:
- PBJ sandwiches - protien, long burning calrolies from nuts, shorter buring calories from bread and jelly
- Choco milk - lots of protien, calcium, and a bit of sugar. Careful if you are lactose intolerant
- banana's
- Trail mix, or nuts
- In the US, id'd also include a nice burrito with salsa and chips. Was a staple item during 24 hr mtb relay races

My recent fav's
- Ramen, soba, udon, gyudon (beef bowl)- Bad for you, but good combo of carbs, sodium and a pit of protien -- especially crave it on long hot rides with a splash of "osu" (I sweat alot)
- Eat what ever looks good at the combini. The body knows what it needs during long efforts

My recent fav's
- Ramen, soba, udon, gyudon (beef bowl)- Bad for you, but good combo of carbs, sodium and a pit of protien -- especially crave it on long hot rides with a splash of "osu" (I sweat alot)
- Eat what ever looks good at the combini. The body knows what it needs during long efforts

Combini food is never really that good but you can often find bananas in the produce section. Energy bursts, I always find the weilder energy gel works well for me. Don't forget water! It is always good to freshen you up and clean out the sticky taste in your mouth. If you can find a 24 hr restaurant sit down and eat a medium sized meal that your body tells you it wants. Ride safe. Oh and chocolate is always good!

On the road eat what the pro's eat..... Tuna-Mayo Rice balls.

I remembered you saying that and had two delicious -- though hard to unwrap while riding -- tuna rice balls.

And I totally wished for nutulla rice balls!

Favorite foods of mine were/are any of the mochi pancake things -- either with anko or with margerine/ syrup. Hard candies. Cashews. Chocolate.

With the exception of my sit bones :eek: I'm keen to do another night ride soon.:angel:

Any tricks to making skin heal faster??

Second the motion on tuna-mayo rice balls. Great for in-ride fueling. PBJ is awesome. What I really miss, though, are Hostess fruit pies and burritos. Potatoes are great, too. Lots of fruit! Fructose is a little slower burn than the glucose loaded stuff and you get the added benefits of the fiber and minerals. My conbini favs:

1) Tuna Mayo onigiri - natto
2) Any fresh fruit
3) Meiji 'Black' Chocolate
4) Mixed nuts
5) Cup noodles for 'sit down' break (good on MiniStop for having a place to SIT!)
6) Yoghurt drink (lots of BCAA)
7) Umeboshi

Bump.

Good old thread, this one.

Thought I'd add a simple, natural food to the list...a peanut butter and pickle or peanut butter and banana burrito. The pickle thing sounds weird but tastes great (also doesn't get mushy like a banana if you don't eat it for a few hours).

Out when cycling I like to bring Costco mix nuts and can of sardines and crackers. And some water.

I've never been able to stomach sardines. Good and salty though.
Sardines is a " heart " food. And smelts are so good from Finland or Norway.

Back
Top Bottom