What's new

Endomondo

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Evening,

I have recently (this evening) given Endomondo some time, and I really like it.

Seems to work very well, and also works great as a social networking site. I have found a load of nice routes I wouldn't have known of, just by browsing around. Good stuff.

So, anyone else using it, so we can link up on it, all modern style?

Would be good to link up.

I find talking to my cycling mates works best, also more enjoyable.

I'm not refusing to consider it, but don't see what the advantage is. Looks like a great way to run down my phone battery...

The phone part is only part of the equation.

The website itself is really good for hooking up with people in the same area as you, and also looking at different places to ride all over the world.

Would definitely use it when planning a riding holiday.

You can click on a route that someone has ridden, anywhere in the world, and if you fancy giving it a go, just send them a message asking how it was.

I am off on an adventure this summer, and have already found some places to ride where I am going that I would not have known about before.

The idea seems fine, but when I go to their site I'm put off by the apparent need to sign up for an account without really knowing anything about their service. You've just told me more about it than I get from them. They need some links to "About Endomondo" explaining their service and some FAQs that potential users can access & read before registering.

To be honest Rapha's version is a lot better been out for a lot longer so most of the bugs have been ironed out.

The thing I like about the Rapha version is that its a closed network only the people you add have access to your rides and there is some cool settings such as the GPS location of a rider.... if they are running late or as Pete was worried about a week or so ago had an accident you can see where they actually are.

I've tried it out with my BlackBerry. It works well as a GPS tracking service. The only issue - and this is a major one - is it is a really big drain on the battery.

I tried it out on our Hakone Ekiden ride. Started at home and my fully loaded battery was gone at Moto-Hakone. My BB died just as Fixie James was trying to call me to figure out where we were. :mad: This experience put me off from using it again. :(

It is possible to disable all the sharing and just use it as a free private tracking tool. Useful for short rides, walks etc., but not really beyond.

Ludwig,totally agree! I see the application like Rapha's is more in meeting up for rides. You basically turn it out at the start then once everyone is together you turn it off. Or in the case of the Ekiden you turn it on once you get tothe agreed meeting point and riders are no shows.

Nothing beats the correct tools for the job and tracking a ride is best left to Garmin, Polar and other GPS tracking specific devices than to an application designed for a phone.

battery life

One thing I learned while working at a cell phone shop was to maximize your battery life on your phone, let the battery nearly completly run out before you charge it, every time. It works best if you do it from the start. I have been doing this for years and my phone goes a week before I need to charge it, my wife plugs hers in every night and if she forgets one night it will be dead that day. I have also informed others of this and recieved great feedback. Try it out next new unit you get, I am sure you will be suprised~! As for you current one, not sure if it will help. Im pretty sure the problem you guys are refering to is due to the phone constantly searching for a satellite to conect to or something, but having a strong battery may be a little help.

Lovely.... now Im getting Endomondo spam on facebook and to my email address and Im not even using it....thanks people!:mad:

How is the spam manifesting itself on your Facebook page?

>Edit. Problem sorted.

If you sign up for Endomondo, and you use your Facebook account to login, this shares info. Beware.

Actually, this depends on the type of battery you have.

What is bad for battery is to charge it to the maximum, but also to let it run completely empty. And every charging itself reduces the lifetime. So if you let it run almost empty but not quite, you end up not charging so often which in itself is good for the battery.

Back
Top Bottom