What's new

Help Electrically assisted mamachari

Conrad

Maximum Pace
Dec 8, 2014
My son will be starting nursery school in a couple of months and we are going to need an electrically assisted mamachari with a baby seat and a basket to take my son to school and run some errands around town. I'm leaning towards a bike with 20 inch wheels and a large battery.

Does anyone have suggestions for makes and models, or just general info about what to look out for and what to avoid?

Like I said, we need it to carry my young son (6 months old), go shopping and do errands. There's a pretty substantial hill in my neighborhood and we live in Tokyo, so snow isn't a major consideration but we might need a rain cover for wet weather.

Cheers for your help.

I did get the Angelino and have been happy with it for the wife. When I ride it, I just need to remember it is not about speed.
The 20" tire has been great for my wife who is not overly confident on a bike with a kid.
I have ridden it - and while too small for me (188cm) I can certainly ride it slow and make grocery runs and rides with my daughter.

The big thing about bikes and kids... most neck injuries occur when the child falls asleep. Their neck needs to be able to support their head and helmet weight. The upfront seat allows you to see their head kind of fall to the side. I then just reach down and support her head with my hand to get her home safely.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. That's a good point about neck strength @bloaker , so I guess a front child seat would be best to begin with. As a general rule of thumb, what age did you guys feel confident (and safe) riding with your children in a child seat?

I probably had my daughter in the seat about 8 months. But I kept trips short and in the neighborhood more or less. Nearing a year, I upped the distance to the beach, but had to continue to keep an eye on here helmet. If it fell to one side or the other for a bit, I knew she feel asleep. I tried stopping few times, but she napped forever!!! So, then I found out I could ride one handed all the way home while supporting her head with the other hand.

Last edited:
Echo other comments on front seat. My daughter at age 3 managed to reach out and grab a traffic sign pole and tipped both mother and daughter over. Also, be aware that most
child seats here have an upper weight limit and are designed for Japanese tiny tots, not strapping gaijin kids.

You kids don't know you're born. We didn't have electric assist for the mom-bikes, and managed just fine. Chronic migraines and joint pain are perfectly normal...

Back
Top Bottom