What's new

Edogawa - Tonegawa

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
I'm thinking of going from Tokyo to northern Gunma via Edogawa and Tonegawa rather than the usual Arakawa and Tonegawa. I'm sure that a book that I've somehow mislaid says that once you reach the "source" of the Edogawa there's no cycling path upstream for quite some way -- that there's a long gap in the Tonegawa path. Yet there's no mention of this in our wiki or Mike's map.

My sense of direction may be crap but even I am capable of staying alongside a river. Still, early experiences of Arakawa and (farther up) Tonegawa showed me that I'm able to delude myself that I'm riding along a river when I'm actually riding along a tributary, etc etc. Unfortunately I got so irritated with my GPS device that I tossed it out, so I can't simply turn off my brain (such as it is) and follow Mike's map; and I really don't want to follow an immensely complex cue sheet (which would probably turn out to be unusable, because it's often hard to identify the road that passes over a cycle path).

If it's all as obvious as I guess, fine; but any useful tips would be welcome.

It's all beautifully pathed... go for it... it may get tricky near Kurihashi...and I use the road near here...haven't been there for ages though so may be easier now...

It's all beautifully pathed... go for it... it may get tricky near Kurihashi...and I use the road near here...haven't been there for ages though so may be easier now...

Tonegawa is totally fine all the way up to Honjo. You need to cross a big bridge up near Kurihashi, but that is easy and there is a wide footpath with a guard rail on it all the way across. It gets a bit fragmented once you get to Honjo, and you will need to get on the road for a bit, to cross the river to the north side, then get back on it once you are past the utterly grim Pachinko-Freeway-Town™. After that you are fully in the country side and it will be plain sailing.

If you intend to ride up, then get the train back down, that will be fine. If you intend to ride back down the way you went up, expect some horrific headwinds, which will make you question your very existence. And the wind never lets up.

If you intend to ride up, then get the train back down, that will be fine. If you intend to ride back down the way you went up, expect some horrific headwinds, which will make you question your very existence. And the wind never lets up.
Absolutely agree.
Though I've managed to find a less windy way back to Tokyo down the Nakagawa.
That is from Sekiyado I hasten to add.

Last edited:
@Edogawakikkoman , @TCC and @Forsbrook , thank you all for the tips and reassurances. If I can start early enough I'll do it. (I really ought to arrive by 17:00, and when I'm not in a group I get sluggish.) If I start late I'll settle for Arakawa + Tonegawa. As for the return (two days later), I'm not sure. I have ridden down the Tonegawa into a pronounced wind for 20 km or so and yes this was an experience I could withstand rather than enjoy.

Let me know the date and time and I will pull you from Kasukabe to Honjo, faster than you have ever ridden on the flat in your life. That will cut the time down hugely for you and you can just draft behind me eating cress sandwiches and winding your vintage watch.

When, @microcord? I may be thinking of planning to perhaps ride as far as Shibukawa (and then turn off up to Haneo) on Saturday 2nd. Or not.

@TCC , @Half-Fast Mike : I have a fistful of head tube, so if you have a fistful of seat post then I'll bring a tow rope and if we happen to meet then let's make a tandem.

Yes it would be the 2nd but if no tandem then definitely at my (grandfatherly) pace. Not only do I have to arrive, I must thereafter be unusually sociable (to a dozen people, in Japanese), so no "Urghh ... well I didn't die, but jeez I'm knackered".

Back
Top Bottom