What's new

Editing Routes online for a New Route

theDude

Maximum Pace
Oct 7, 2011
I'm struggling to take a ridden activity and mess with it to create a new route.

Currently staring at RideWithGPS.

Anybody know which one of these online gigs does this the best? (or at all?)

:(

I'm definitely all about RWGPS! :D

then help! I can't take an existing route and modify it so that I can use it later?

I get a base route but then the buttons don't seem to do anything, adding a control point changes the whole thing. I am hoping to cut a section out to add a bit more and then link back onto the original route.

Add control points on the base route before and after the part you want to edit. Now you can drag the part you didn't want out to where you want it.

Dave

I'm now using Garmin Connect, Strava, Mapmyride and RidewithGPS. Have to say I like the new update to RidewithGPS, but still can't work out how to do that... control points?

I've constantly struggled with this one -
struggling to take a ridden activity and mess with it to create a new route
and I really understand your situation (you can see my similar previous post here). I've found a number of aps online, tried half a dozen internet mapping sites and taken a bit of advice from HFC Mike who tends to be the guru at this kind of stuff.

Conclusions so far (on the above post but to save you time I've re-pasted them below)

Freestanding Software I've tried (e.g. Garmin BaseCamp*, GPS Prune, Viking) seems to have this functionality -
And IMHO, Garmin Base Camp is the best of them
  • Waypoint to Waypoint routing (good if you want the fastest complete route from town A to town B) with user definable speeds for road types
  • Convert Route to Track and vice versa (although pls note Basecamp seems to refuse to send more than one route at a time, and never the directions, to Garmin 800!)
  • Split exisiting Routes/Tracks
  • Move individual points
  • Large section delete
  • Merge Routes/Tracks (e.g allows you to split a map, create a new section in the middle and then join all three parts)
  • *Can leverage UpUpDown Map (so track should exactly match roads on Garmin device) but not Googlemap
Browser tools (e.g. MMR, RWGps) have this functionality -
And IMHO, RWGps Camp is the best of them
  • Far better ergonomics when routing - (e.g. maps move when you hold left mouse button and move mouse; rather than having to stop routing, choose map-move button, move map, hit routing button again. Zooming is also better implemented into the mouse buttons)
  • Adjustable routing - Allows you to build a big route of your choice by small incremental automatic route selections (e.g. click two roads away and it routes automatically there, then click a few roads away in the direction you want to go and it continues the route that way, etc, etc). Allows to you route around unfavourable areas whilst still leveraging a quick map-building method
  • Adjustable routing - If the last step of automatic routing went slightly wrong you can step backwards within it, point by point (just hitting delete button to go back a point if the routing makes a slight error), rather than only being able to delete the whole of the last automatic routing .
  • Simplified approach to Routes and Tracks (that is both a good and bad thing IMO)
  • leverages Googlemap (but not UpUpDown
So to help you now
If your starting map is already on RWGps then great, if its on MMRide then no problem just export. I love the new button on RWGps that lets you move someone else's map directly to your collection and open for editing immediately. If you need to get the map to start from your house, then reverse it (thats another simple button press in RWGps and MMR) and once thats done, continue adding the route to your house onto the exisiting end (was start) of the map and then reverse it again (so your house is now the start of the route) Save and done.
If you have a map that you want to split at a different point and add a route in and out, or to delete a section and replace with a new edited section, then export out of the website as GPX and take into Garmin Base Camp. There you have all the extra functionality to micro-adjust, cut and adjust even at an individual datapoint on a Track. You can convert from a Route to a Track and back - both have their uses. Routes in GBC work like the RWGps intelligent routing and you can create several of them. Then convert them to Tracks and join together with the existing GPX file you imported to create whatever you want.
Hope that gets you on the right path! And please ask any further questions

This is easy -

1) Get on your motorbike (or car) (or better yet - bike)
2) Use your Garmin to record the route you want to ride later. If there are small discrepancies, enter them as cue points or notes.
3) Don't even bother with editing existing routes - it's a complete hassle and most sw tools just f* up the routing even more. I take MSW routes for example and one pass through MMR or RWGPS or GBC and I've automatically turned a copacetic 150km ride into 1100km of nonsense!
4) I'm going through the same GPX hell right now with our Haute Route 'routes' - I use '' because they aren't routes - they are point to point somewhere along a similar path as the road except when you need to take a drag off the cigarette and slip slightly, then sip coffee, and , OH, it slipped again, but so what, we are going to 'you know where' anyway, route . Sacre bleu!

So - I just enter relevant waypoints then calculate interval routes between. Or check the map and choose something interesting that will head me in the general direction of the desired waypoint.

All the map tiles are different, too - make a track on Google and it's different on a Zenrin, make it on a Zenrin and it's different than OSM. Tricky science and the road tracks are not all that accurate. Add that into the necessary 'error' proscribed by citizen GPS and true routing is a nightmare.

I usually take the dumb and labour intensive approach with routes and open the template route on a browser on one screen and RWGPS to create a new route on another screen. Scrolling and zooming in sync on both screens I recreate the route from the template(s) one mouse click at a time until I'm done.

Though it's definitely not the most elegant approach, it gets the job done and has the advantage of familiarizing myself with the details of the route, which may be helpful on the ride itself. It's like a mental dry run of the ride.

Earlier today I did it the proper way though and uploaded a TCX file to RWGPS as a private ride. I then edited it, selected a subset of it and did a Save As as a new route, to which I then manually added a new ending using manual mouse clicks. It worked well.

For following a route, I either export it as a TCX and copy it to the Garmin or I export it as a KML and import it into Google Maps, which lets me track it on Google Maps on my Android (caveat: the Android periodically "forgets" lengthy routes and requires you to reselect them -- this always happens to me after about 150 km).

@Joe - yes, I do the same. Editing existing routes proves more cumbersome than just creating a new one from scratch. Also - none of the SW I've used has sufficiently 'smart' routing to deal with the preferences of travel I'd want -

For example -

1) If someone provides a GPX that doesn't follow roads and you use the RWGPS or even GBC to 'follow roads' you'll get a completely wacked set of tracks. Even if you try to manipulate the section between control points, the SW will attempt to 'route' either side of them as well.

2) Choice of 'avoid highways' or not , is unclear and results, again, in a very inconsistent route. I'd love to see more granularity or choices.

3) It would be awesome if you could select a section between control points and do a 'clean up route' function based on subset of road choices.

4) Last but not least - many times if I use another rider's TCX or FIT and copy to my Garmin, then choose as course - it will recalculate the route with completely different course - and using the smaller roads in a completely random, drunken penguin walking, manner - generally resulting in a 10x -50x longer route. This, again, seems mainly related to TCX that was generated with a different map tile by the previous use (i.e. OSM vs UUD) So - what is 'following a road' on one map is not on the other.

I solve this (as I've expained to Tim) by never using my Edge 810 to follow a course. Instead I just set the course to display on the map at all times in bright yellow and visually follow it (or not) on the map, i.e., I don't ask or want the GPS to tell me where and when to turn.

I solve this (as I've expained to Tim) by never using my Edge 810 to follow a course. Instead I just set the course to display on the map at all times in bright yellow and visually follow it (or not) on the map, i.e., I don't ask or want the GPS to tell me where and when to turn.
I've seen you mention this "in yellow" thing before.
Pray tell, how does one change that line's colour?

Pray tell, how does one change that line's colour?
From the Edge 810 manual

Displaying a Course on the Map
For each course saved to your device you can customize how it appears on the map. For example you can set your commute course to always display on the map in yellow. You can have an alternate course display in green. This allows you to see the courses while you are riding, but not following or navigating a particular course.​
1 From the home screen, select Courses
2 Select the course​
3 Select Settings > Map Display
4 Select Always Display > On to have the course appear on the map​
5 Select Color, and choose a color​
The next time you ride near the course, it appears on the map.​

It's not described in the manual for the Edge 800, but IIRC the procedure is the same.

Back
Top Bottom