What's new

Earthquake

Me and the family is ok, So proud of Tsukino who volunteered to stay at grandmas house last night and make sure she is ok.

Wife is pulling a double at the hospital. Haven't heard from her a little worried as its an old building and we had some big after shocks.

Is it the Machida Costco or the Kanazawa Costco that collapsed? I saw footage on the news and Firecrews have been working all night to free people.

Wife just got home :D

Is the gas still off in your part of Tokyo? It's off here, in Machida - I am just wondering how widespread the gas-off is.

If you have gas delivered then the bottles have shock switches.... you'll need to go reset them to turn them back on. If its an apartment building then speak to the building manager.

machida Costco. Surprisingly this area got it quite bad. (compared to other parts of Tokyo)

That's very fortunate Baribari!

After having to wait 10.5 hours for them to make it home last night, I can say that my wife, 10 month old son and I are all thankfully OK!

I'm fine ... but growing up on a fault line in NZ I knew it was BAD ... never ever felt one like that. Husband walked 20k home from Aoyama to Wakoshi. Started with colleagues but he said seriously slow (all in suits, ties and dress shoes) so as he had no food and they'd scored "emergency packs" he excused himself and darted in for ramen and beer at Waseda and came alone. Very sore feet on arrival and legs "serious problem" today so with my pulled hamstring I don't think either of us will be doing the Wako 10k (of which I am a silver medalist from the days when there were only 3 women in the race!!) tomorrow. Sadly 2 of my husband's Honda colleagues killed at Tochigi R and D.
I'm concerned about the nuclear situation, and a Japanese friend in the know just emailed me
"Water level is under the pit, may be water is leaking by the damage, radiation is too strong to manage to reduce the pressure or otherthing to solve the situation ... Situation is getting clearly serious...."

Stay safe everyone. Love your pics Stu - sorry about the damage - that machine with trailer and sign is a masterpiece!
Isobel

I am also fine. Been hard to contact the in-laws in Fukushima but as they live an hour from the coast (and that bloody reactor), I think they are okay. But they did mention something about evacuating to my wife last night.

Sad times for the good people of Tohuku.

Stay safe all.

Keren

Last September, I was cycling on the coastline around Miyako.

I stayed in one of the hotels near the port, whose owners went out of their way to make us welcome and enjoy our time, in spite of the constant rain. Seeing the images of devastation is truly saddening.

I remember clearly that Tsunami evacuation routes were clearly marked. I can only hope that most people managed to make it on time.

Seeing this video, it does seem that people were evacuated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xOzYRdEPBE&feature=youtu.be

Stu: Thanks for posting the pics. Let me know if you need any extra help!

Me and my wife is safe as well. But, It's really hard to just watch the TV and see how many people died and urgent earthquake information..

I just heard that from Monday we are to expect rolling black outs of 3 hours at a time. >> LINK <<

Stock up on water to flush your toilet, (fill your bathtub) get a bucket to take water from the tub to flush the toilet.

Get something to provide light, candles are a bad idea, to easy to get knocked over and start a fire.

I have our camping equipment to get ready, Coleman stove and lantern, if we need light or to cook we will be OK. I have a large kerosene heater that I'll be digging out and buying some kerosene for. I have a thing to charge the cell phones from our vans, but, I doubt the cells will work with all the building top antennas out.

I'll be heading to the gas station to fill up my vans, and to get some extra gas for the Coleman stove and lanteren, I'm glad I got the dual fuel type!

Get yourself prepared.

I just wanted to add a very good page put up by Google that has a ton of info......

>> LINK <<

Are train lines likelybto be affected by the blackouts? I think it says something about it on that info page, butbI couldnt read it.

Are train lines likelybto be affected by the blackouts? I think it says something about it on that info page, butbI couldnt read it.

Yeah, the trains, it says, run on a different power line and should not be affected, but the traffic lights will be out, so watch it.

Turn off any extra lights etc.

Link to the PDF file from TEPCO about which area is in which group that will be without power. It looks like we will be OK in Shinjuku.

Just popping in now and haven't read the forums in a while, but has kiwisimon posted this weekend? Isn't he close to Hachinohe?

That's good, thanks Thomas. Hopefully all his family is okay too.

Back
Top Bottom