What's new

Earthquake

Sora

Basho's companion
Nov 2, 2005
To dear every members,

are you ok?

Came on line to post the same question.

Hope everybody is OK - thinking of all my friends in Japan.

Thank you, Sora-san - I am still alive and I am glad you are too!
Hope everyone else is safe too

Naomi-san and I are both OK.

Good luck to all the TCCers - hope you're fine. Post on this thread to let people know.

AW.

We are fine, the L shop is/was a mess, lots of smashed bottles. I'll post some pics later.

One heck of a mess to clean up, but no one here was hurt. :D

Everyone OK?

Power just came back on here, at 11:30 pm. Looks like my major inconvenience is going to be a freezer full of dodgy meat, a smashed lava lamp, and some broken bottles of HP sauce. Computer equipment might be toasted, but I won't know till morning.

I am in Machida, right by the Tank Road, and I heard rumors that the Costco (near Starbucks) was badly damaged, but I won't know until tomorrow.

There is a bag full of Power Bars and water bottles by my front door, along with my sleeping budgie in his traveling cage. My concrete danchi felt on the brink of falling down, and I have become a worry-wart now. :(

How is everyone else? I worry even about anyone riding the rindos, as that felt bad enough to have caused landslides.

Some pics of our shop and such.....

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

Notice inside the fridge, lots of knocked over stuff and lots of busted bottles

IMG_1416.jpg

It is usually NOT this messy!
IMG_1417.jpg

Stuff strewn here and there
IMG_1418.jpg

More busted bottles in the basement

IMG_1420.jpg

Just outside the wine cellar, a few busted bottles here too

IMG_1422.jpg

Inside the wine cellar, only two bottles (both good, sigh) got busted.

IMG_1423.jpg

A really nice bottle of wine..... :(

IMG_1425.jpg

Inside the sake fridge downstairs, only four big bottles got busted!

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

Some crumbled roofs near our house

quake

Watching the news here in California and the devastation is mind bending.
My heart goes out to all of you who were affected in any way. Truly tragic!
Keep the faith.
Jon

Watching from Australia. Thoughts are with all in Japan.
My wife's family in the very distant past (hundreds of years ago)were from Sendai and we were planning on visiting there next month.
Stay safe.
Rob

I tried the TCC site yesterday, it said database error - great to see it is back and safe!

I really appreciated the ability to commute by bike to work yesterday, many people had to stay due to the train stoppage and road tailbacks.

Felt like eternity to cycle home, with buildings still swaying around me, and everyone out on the streets. In Tsurumi, the power was cut so all the traffic lights were out of operation, so all junctions I had to be extra careful. The power was back on in Kawasaki, but here the buildings were bigger and still wobbling with more aftershocks. Then the Tamagawa cycle path was blocked with people evacuated from schools and offices.

I could see smoke from large industrial fires in the distance.

We were lucky, my heart goes out to tohoku people, and I hope Kobayashi san who invited us to the Kamaishi triathlon last year is OK.

Is the gas still off in your part of Tokyo? It's off here, in Machida - I am just wondering how widespread the gas-off is.

FWIW I realize that many lives have been affected in the most tragic of ways in Japan as a result of the quake. All of my friends here in the USA are watching the news and are thinking/praying for our friends in Japan.
Geez, such hollow words, but what more can I say...
Be safe,
Jon

Sora-san ありがとう

I'm doing good ... I don't recall the power getting cut in my area (Setagaya) ... and I didn't bother checking the gas (since I don't cook at home) .. I did do visual inspection of the room after I arrived from the office. No water leaks. Kept the windows open all night in case of a gas leak. Then tried to sleep under my warm futon, which I couldn't the shaking kept waking me up.

I hope everybody else is doing good too!

My heart and prayers goes out to the people up north... I hope they get that nuclear reactor tamed.

I could turn gas on again my pressing a button on the meter. There was an announcement from the ku office speakers saying it was OK to do so.

Not sure if it's ok to do so in all areas though. might be best to wait until you hear something over loudspeakers?

Inside the wine cellar, only two bottles (both good, sigh) got busted.

IMG_1423.jpg

A really nice bottle of wine..... :(
Why must the good suffer!
I am glad no people were injured.

There was some damage in takasaki too. My main issue was some eggs fell from the bench. I hope everyone is safe. Take care.

Hope everyone is ok if you need any help from me here Nagano or emergency housing let me know as I have a few rooms available.

-Chuck

Back
Top Bottom