Duty charges from online retailer

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Hi,

Ok so I saw a few posts about Wiggle and had a question, I bought a Sportful jersey (Italy) and a Lezyne pump (USA) and I was wondering if I pay the duty fees to the delivery dude or somewhere else?

Also I found a site that said the duties from Italy are up to 20% and up to 15% for the USA, does this sound about right?

I would have bought this locally but my money is still tied up in Canada.

Thanks

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Charges are impossible to work out unless you have "The Book" it's a massive thing with listings for everything - Myself and Hiroshi-san from C-speed had great fun trying to clear a HIGH5 shipment last year and while waiting for the stamp duty to process we worked out that it is possible to be charged up to 33% extra on SIDI shoes with all the features.

Really tax is dependant on so many things including how pissed off the customs officer is at the time he looks at your shipment. So to be honest I wouldn't even worry about it as on the items you have listed I would hazard a guess it will sail straight through without inspection.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Depending on the shipper - 99% will charge you at the door, however DHL and one or two others may send you a bill in the post.

Nope don't work at a bike shop - Im the Japan Rep for HIGH5 but also owned a company that imported and exported training equipment.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Depending on the shipper - 99% will charge you at the door, however DHL and one or two others may send you a bill in the post.

Nope don't work at a bike shop - Im the Japan Rep for HIGH5 but also owned a company that imported and exported training equipment.
Thanks I will be ready with some cash then.

Is that the sports nutrition company from the UK? (the site seems to be down)

If you have gels let me know where I can check them out :beer:

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
That is what I heard and I have always kept my clothes orders under that and never paid any duty.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
This was already covered extensively by Bird - there is a specific calculation used to factor duty and consumption tax. As an FYI - Bicycle Parts are 'Duty Free' unless imported commercially. And everything imported is subject to a Consumption Tax factoring. What you pay is based on the commercial invoice presented to the customs. And it may be pre-paid if the shipper / entry broker does that. EMS or Japan Post does not. Inbound shipments are referred to Customs then they levy according to the documentation or in some cases do an internal inspection. If you want to be prepared then just have around 10% of the expected import value ready for payment. It will <should> be less than that - but rarely, if ever, is it more, unless the internal inspection shows discrepency or items that may fall under high duty rates.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Yeah I'll make sure to have some cash just in case, as there seems to be a little confusion about this - better safe than sorry