What's new

Dura Ace 7800 Mod.

Nice work...

...I was wondering why at first, but the finished product turned out real cool.

Removing that much of the original material.. .doesn't this mod compromise the structural integrity of the derailleur? Can this thing stand the same forces as the original?

Takes me back to the 90's XC Mtb scene - the amount of drilling of frames and other equipment on the bikes would have left you bewildered.

There is an awful lot of over engineering that goes in to parts so you'ed be amazed at what you can get away with if you know where the load zone and stress areas are.

I have to say that the finished part looks bloody mazing!

Thanks for the share Owen!

Yeah, I was really impressed by this.

Backing up what James said, when I used to ride BMX on the street, there was so much cutting and drilling going on, it was insane. I have seen 200lb guys dropping 13 stairs to flat using a frame with most of the seat post cut away, racing forks, and a massively drilled out S&M Redneck stem. The thing didn't budge.

I wouldn't mind getting a load of old parts and making some kind of Bloodletter of Khorne version. That would be mint.

I used to paint the parts on my old Specialized mountain bike back in the day; I think most people at least did one mod to their bikes then.

Mate - I still do...... some members here have seen first hand me talking a drill to all 3 of my Pinarello's!

That is very cool, and well done!

Don't forget, even if the part was as strong modified as it was stock, the difference in the cost of machining it that way would make it a LOT more expensive.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom