What's new

Tech Dual-sided iQsquare Powermeter for 219 €: go for it?

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
There is a Kickstarter project that are bringing a cheap powermeter to market that screws in between the crank and the pedals. You can even buy two to get proper left-right measurements. What do you think, should I give it a try or save up for a "real" power meter? Currently, I can get an early bird price of 219 € for a dual-sided power meter, low enough for an impulse purchase. Apart from the price, the other big advantage I see is the fact that I can swap this between bikes with ease. Or is this too good to be true?

Last edited:
Better save your money rather than be a beta tester for a new product using new technology made by a new company with no real world reviews imho.

Won't this design push your pedals out further? If you click on About us -> Team you also get a nice break down of what the company is focused on. ie. most of the team are involved in marketing, videos and photos to drive the kickstarter project. Power meters seem to be hard in general. I'd save my money until DCRainmaker had a good go of the final product and gave it a thumbs up. No point wasting time waiting for this either. Time is money after all.

Yes, it will increase the Q factor, but I don't think this is my primary concern. Power meters seem to be a hard problem, especially when it comes to reliability. Then there is that depending on where they are located they can be specific to your crank or wheel or pedal. (Since I use MTB-style pedals this eliminates other road-style pedal-based power meters.) I was surprised to learn that the seals of some power meters are apparently not sufficient to keep water out (wut?!?).

Only the ones rising up from kick starter projects... there are a bunch of well tested, reliable, solid units on the market.

Basically if you can't trust the unit and the data coming from it, it's useless. One spike in an interval throws all the data out and you might as well have nothing.

This new company may be on the money. Chances are there will be a bunch of reliability issues that you will be paying to be a tester for.

Personally I'd give it a miss.

Yes, it will increase the Q factor, but I don't think this is my primary concern. Power meters seem to be a hard problem, especially when it comes to reliability. Then there is that depending on where they are located they can be specific to your crank or wheel or pedal. (Since I use MTB-style pedals this eliminates other road-style pedal-based power meters.) I was surprised to learn that the seals of some power meters are apparently not sufficient to keep water out (wut?!?).

Its a gamble. Spindle replacement for existing pedals won't come out till long after (if) the product comes out. GCN covered a bit how they do the strain gauges (vapor deposition) which is kinda cool but Ray Maker has already said only back if you're willing to lose your money.

Surprised none of the big manufacturers had not already tried something with this design.

I'm with you guys probably best to pull up on this thing but the cost and idea of it are tempting.

According to the report on GCN, this design pushes your pedals out by 16mm. Also, this model sends data 2000 times per second, the next model will decrease this amount in order to safe battery life.

I don't think I'd consider them at this point without further review, but I am interested. If you do get them I'd be interested to know how they work out for you.

If you are really strapped for cash and are going to be heavily reliant on these then I wouldn't bother. However, they aren't all that expensive in the main scheme of things so it would be interesting to see how they perform. I would almost be tempted to get them and put them on my road bike as I have a Quarq on there. I could then compare the two. Would be nice to have a second power meter on my gravel bike. Too bad they won't be out until at least October, if at all.

They wouldn't be the first company to promise the moon, as far as PM go, and then never reach production.

If you've money to burn it's all good but if this is you one and only shot at power I'd steer clear for now.

If you are really strapped for cash and are going to be heavily reliant on these then I wouldn't bother.
I'm not strapped for cash per se, but I have decided on my priorities (I'll be a dad very soon, I need new cycling glasses with prescription lenses and a new bike). So a power meter is quite far down that list, especially because all the other options are quite expensive and more than likely specific to the bike I get (more precisely, depending on the crank).
However, they aren't all that expensive in the main scheme of things so it would be interesting to see how they perform. I would almost be tempted to get them and put them on my road bike as I have a Quarq on there. I could then compare the two. Would be nice to have a second power meter on my gravel bike. Too bad they won't be out until at least October, if at all.
That'd be best, so if you go for it, make sure to tell us how it has worked out for you.

Back
Top Bottom