What's new

DT Swiss Wheels - from where?

Thank you for everyone's input.
Holding out for a carbon pair of wheels and new tyres would seem the best option if I want a result that is noticable not just aesthetic. Sub ¥100,000 seems wishful thinking for a pair imported from somewhere that will last. Double that seems more realistic for a known brand. Graphically I'm liking the Zipp 303. ¥165,000 for those as far as I can tell.

Yeah, that's an area I often cycle around but I haven't been to the Zebra there. I have been to the one on Onekan a few times though and it's damn good.

So of course I have flu and its sunny. Ah well. Back to wheels.
Current shopping list is down to the Zipp 303 with GP5000. Price could be a little lower so looking at second hand options or waiting it out. Earlier in the week I was in favour of tubeless, but if I have a tyre issue far from home it seems less fixable. But then I'd have less punctures with tubeless... so am stuck in that loop lol. Only had two punctures last year and both at Kamakura for some reason.
Anyone tried lightbicycle.com? I came across it via a Reddit cycle forum. The customization options are very inviting. Custom laser engraved rims? Count me in!
Only click the link if you have a spare hour or two :)

Thank you.

Earlier in the week I was in favour of tubeless, but if I have a tyre issue far from home it seems less fixable. But then I'd have less punctures with tubeless... so am stuck in that loop lol.
Why?
I run tubeless, and I keep a spare tube in my saddle bag and some electrical tape wrapped around my pump. Running tubeless doesn't preclude you from running tubes.

Why?
I run tubeless, and I keep a spare tube in my saddle bag and some electrical tape wrapped around my pump. Running tubeless doesn't preclude you from running tubes.
I don't know. So tubeless requires tubes?

I don't know. So tubeless requires tubes?
No, but in case you have a puncture that won't seal itself, you just put in an inner tube. The electrical tape is for sealing/fixing tires, e. g. if you have a long gash or cut.

Depending on the rim - @OreoCookie is correct.
My Enve 65 are tubeless only due to the deep rim section and some proprietary valve stuff.
My Enve AG25s will run tubeless or tubed.

I also ride with a spare tube just in case.
I have also gotten a puncture and the tubeless do its job and I keep on rolling.

Good point, @bloaker, about rim compatibility. At least to my knowledge, most rims are compatible with both. I have spare inner tubes in both my saddle bags. So far, I have never had to use them. Ironically, ever time I had a catastrophic flat, I did not have my saddle bags on my bike. Ugh. I cursed at how dumb and strict the rules are about bikes on public transportation as one of the flats happened right next to the entrance of a train station that would have taken me straight home.

Also, the electrical tape is just for emergencies, obviously, meant to get you home. This is not a long-term solution. I never had to use it on my bike, but I saved a riding buddies rear end this way — he had a gash in his tire.

No, but in case you have a puncture that won't seal itself, you just put in an inner tube. The electrical tape is for sealing/fixing tires, e. g. if you have a long gash or cut.
Ah I see ! Phew. Thought I was having a clip less peddles moment.

Good point, @bloaker, about rim compatibility. At least to my knowledge, most rims are compatible with both. I have spare inner tubes in both my saddle bags. So far, I have never had to use them. Ironically, ever time I had a catastrophic flat, I did not have my saddle bags on my bike. Ugh. I cursed at how dumb and strict the rules are about bikes on public transportation as one of the flats happened right next to the entrance of a train station that would have taken me straight home.

Also, the electrical tape is just for emergencies, obviously, meant to get you home. This is not a long-term solution. I never had to use it on my bike, but I saved a riding buddies rear end this way — he had a gash in his tire.
The flat I had last year was due to discarded tooth pick. Made a mess of the tire and tube. Nice tip about the tape.

The flat I had last year was due to discarded tooth pick. Made a mess of the tire and tube. Nice tip about the tape.
My most spectacular flat was with a 5 cm wood screw that went perfectly straight into the tire and tube. That was pre-tubeless. The sealant can usually heal smaller holes, but it has its limit.

Pro tip: pay attention to how often you need to top up your tires. If that happens frequently, you will need to change your sealant. (Sealant dries up and becomes less good at doing its job.)

Back
Top Bottom