What's new

DT Swiss Wheels - from where?

mr tim

Maximum Pace
Mar 11, 2022
Dear all,
The DT Swiss ER 1600 32mm wheels are finally looking affordable, or at least I thought so! I get the yen is weak against the dollar, but still, Japanese prices seem high compared to the DT Swiss website.
The best source would seem to be Wiggle.com given the JP prices I've seen so far, but am receptive to better solutions.
How are local bike stores with asking them to fit them for me? I guess if I'm paying all is well? I'm in Kanagawa and can cycle into Tokyo if you have a store recommendation. I can fit them myself I assume but I'd have to buy the tools and flaff about setting up the derailleur etc, and I don't feel like doing that.
These are to replace to the stock wheels on my Bianchi Infinito XE so if you feel they will make no noticeable difference please speak up.
I ride for fun on roads - Machida to Enoshima, Hakone or Tokyo - most days in Summer if the weather is good. No aspirations to race, but faster away from the traffic lights would be nice.

Thank you

what grade Infinito XE ? what about the current wheels isn't floating your boat?
looking at your bike, the stock wheels (Fulcrum 900?) and the DT Swiss ER 1600 32 I'm not sure there is much of a weight saving.
Maybe try some faster more supple tires so you feel faster before dropping a bunch of cash on saving 100 grams.
Most effective and cost efficient way to save 100 grams is one less onigiri (or beer) for lunch.

what grade Infinito XE ? what about the current wheels isn't floating your boat?
looking at your bike, the stock wheels (Fulcrum 900?) and the DT Swiss ER 1600 32 I'm not sure there is much of a weight saving.
Maybe try some faster more supple tires so you feel faster before dropping a bunch of cash on saving 100 grams.
Most effective and cost efficient way to save 100 grams is one less onigiri (or beer) for lunch.lol
lol.. honestly, I've no complaints with the wheels I have. Many reviews of the bike when I bought it commented on the wheels not being up to the standard of the rest of the bike and many encourage purchasers to look at the wheels as a first upgrade. I'm not sure what you mean by what grade of Infinitio XE... it's now 2 years old? I'm not after making any weight savings at all on the bike. I've 20kg to loose off myself before that becomes a consideration. The Swiss wheels are purely purely an aesthetic choice but hopefully some performance gains to warrant the expense. I couldn't find an objective way to compare the wheels to know in what ways they would be 'better'. I don't have any experience of road bikes besides this one to have any idea what 'better' handling would be like in practice. Maybe I should consider tyre changes before wheel changes?
Thank you!

Grade would be 105 Ultegra etc.
I'm in the same could be much lighter group. Aesthetics are important. I'd spend 15,000 on good tunes tires or tubeless system over switching about the wheels unless it's all about the aesthetics. BUT I'm a Luddite and swap things that are worn out. Maybe others have other opinions. Nice bike that Bianchi BTW.

Grade would be 105 Ultegra etc.
I'm in the same could be much lighter group. Aesthetics are important. I'd spend 15,000 on good tunes tires or tubeless system over switching about the wheels unless it's all about the aesthetics. BUT I'm a Luddite and swap things that are worn out. Maybe others have other opinions. Nice bike that Bianchi BTW.
Ah i see... yes, I have the 105 and indeed it's a really nice bike. I changed all the lights over the winter and am looking for something else to tinker with. Maybe I should look at tyres. I'm not so bothered about tubeless, but I'd probably have a different opinion if I get a flat when I don't want to.

I also have an Infinito XE, and recently upgraded to carbon Vision SC 40 wheels. They've made a very noticeable improvement to my segment times, both on the flat and on hills. I find I no longer need to use all my gears when taking on even pretty steep climbs. It wasn't bad with the previous wheels of course, but it's a lot more fun to cycle now. I think it's well worth upgrading from the stock wheels.

IMG_2727.jpeg

I also have an Infinito XE, and recently upgraded to carbon Vision SC 40 wheels. They've made a very noticeable improvement to my segment times, both on the flat and on hills. I find I no longer need to use all my gears when taking on even pretty steep climbs. It wasn't bad with the previous wheels of course, but it's a lot more fun to cycle now. I think it's well worth upgrading from the stock wheels.

View attachment 37924
Very nice! I only bought one the year before as all entry level road bikes were out of stock due to Covide plus Ys road offered 2 years interest free credit. So glad I went for it. I see your gears are all nice and clean and shiney too. Nice.

I run tubed and tubeless GP5000.
They are a great tire and significant upgrade over most stock tires.
I agree with @kiwisimon and his take that this could be a jump to hold you over for a bit.

Dear all,
The DT Swiss ER 1600 32mm wheels are finally looking affordable, or at least I thought so! I get the yen is weak against the dollar, but still, Japanese prices seem high compared to the DT Swiss website.
Any reason why you have set your eyes on those? If I were you, I'd save up a tad more and get carbon wheels. It isn't just the weight, it is also the ride. Go for something deeper, 45ish mm is the goldilocks depth.

One common recommendation are Zipp 303S, which is a thoroughly modern wheelset with good specs at a good price.

That upgrade makes more sense. Lighter by over 200 grams. OP's upgrade won't offer any substantial weight saving. @mr tim if you are looking at wheels maybe go carbon rims.
Yeah… have been watching a few videos. Better I hold out for those maybe.

Any reason why you have set your eyes on those? If I were you, I'd save up a tad more and get carbon wheels. It isn't just the weight, it is also the ride. Go for something deeper, 45ish mm is the goldilocks depth.

One common recommendation are Zipp 303S, which is a thoroughly modern wheelset with good specs at a good price.
Nice suggestion. They look nice and are attainable if not immediately affordable. Those and GP5000 Would look very nice .

Nice suggestion. They look nice and are attainable if not immediately affordable. Those and GP5000 Would look very nice .
It is usually better to save up for a meaningful upgrade. The rims you picked are better than what you are likely running now, but not that much better. Plus, they have little-to-no aero advantage.

I also think the suggestion of GP5000s is a nice one: they are very good tires that combine a good ride, good puncture resistance with low rolling resistance.

It is usually better to save up for a meaningful upgrade. The rims you picked are better than what you are likely running now, but not that much better. Plus, they have little-to-no aero advantage.

I also think the suggestion of GP5000s is a nice one: they are very good tires that combine a good ride, good puncture resistance with low rolling resistance.
The 303 has tires that integrate nicely too I see. And I'm learning that carbon fiber wheels get priced individually, not in pairs as affordable alloys do lol. This may become a next year purchase as I'd rather wait to get what I really want. It's raining right now so I shall hit google for an hour or too.

Just to give you an idea of how carbon wheels can lift the performance of the Infinito XE, here's some before/after data for one of my regular routes, the 11km course around Lake Tama. April 8th was the first time with the new wheels (22:45) - smashed my previous PB by a minute and 13 seconds (Jan 2 - 23:58). These were both done with the same tyres - Vittoria Zaffiros.
IMG_2798.pngIMG_2799.png

Just to give you an idea of how carbon wheels can lift the performance of the Infinito XE, here's some before/after data for one of my regular routes, the 11km course around Lake Tama. April 8th was the first time with the new wheels (22:45) - smashed my previous PB by a minute and 13 seconds (Jan 2 - 23:58). These were both done with the same tyres - Vittoria Zaffiros.
View attachment 37926View attachment 37927
Nice., thank you. Buy next year, or credit card this year then... choices choices. Looks like a nice place to visit too. I usually head south or west from Machida, but this place would make a nice change. A nice coffee shop on that loop I assume given its a park?

Lake Tama is definitely worth visiting. Beautiful area and zooming around the cycle path is terrific fun. No coffee shops as far as I'm aware, but I often stop by Sunmery's bakery in Kodaira and have lunch at the lake. I'm sure there's plenty of options if you pass through Tachikawa too.

Lake Tama is definitely worth visiting. Beautiful area and zooming around the cycle path is terrific fun. No coffee shops as far as I'm aware, but I often stop by Sunmery's bakery in Kodaira and have lunch at the lake. I'm sure there's plenty of options if you pass through Tachikawa too.
Not sure where it is in relation to you, but last Summer I made it to the excellent Zebra cafe near the Shiroyama Dam, then along to Katsuse Bridge. About 250m gainm vs yours of 62 I see. I'm not recommending the route particularly as I wasn't fit enough to do the hilly bits. Nice view though. I also prefer loops rather than a there-and-back.

Back
Top Bottom