What's new

Dream bike thread revisited

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=41
Thomas started this 6 years ago and things have changed on the bike scene.
My dream bike right here right now is one of these with disc tabs
photo.jpg

and not for sale yet but
2011-08-31-Ibis-By-Sebas-Romero-7.jpg

That's all.

I think you have made an error on the title of this thread, I think it should be "Dream BikeS" as I do not think that any one bike could do it all, I'm sure one could come close, but a bike from bombing around town to do some errands, and a bike to ride a 400Km Brevet or a long steep hill climb race, are not going to be the same thing, that that does not even tackle anything off the pavement :D

You sure have some sweet dreams there! :D

Touring Europe with the missus...

...on THIS :D

specialized_tandem_a.jpg

That bike is even more bad "Donkey ;)" in the flesh!

The steerer tube is truely massive and makes even the toughest DH bike look frail.

Right now for me the bike I really want is this:

Pinarello's new MAAT Carbon track bike

eurobike-pinarello-maat.jpg

I've also been in love with the Pinarello GRAAL for sometime too:

graal_533_big.jpg

During a recent track event there were no slow Pinarello riders. Nice bikes

Owen - that Pace RC300 is a classic!!!!

I like it. I don't know who made it, and that's part of its charm: I like the fact that it doesn't shout any brand names at me. (It's got a reassuring number of spokes, too.)

The others, the plastic "dream" bikes, would have a certain visual appeal if only they weren't so shouty. I mean, "PINARELLO", "CAMPAGNOLO" -- yes, thank you, despite my advanced age I could decipher those names in lettering a quarter the size.

(But yes, "PINARELLO" and "CAMPAGNOLO" are better than "MARLBORO" and "CAMEL".)

When I stopped a shop yesterday to buy spare inner tubes and other mundane supplies, I got my first view of a Surly "Pugsley". It made me smile.

Later yesterday I had to brake rather quickly to avoid hitting the side of a limo whose driver decided rather late to indicate that he was going to turn into the forecourt of Hotel Grand Tax Expense, or whatever.

If I'm going to run into the side of a limo, then a Pugsley is what I want to be riding. I wouldn't be averse to a studded tyre option, either.

My dream urban Pugsley would have a little container mounted on its handlebar from which I'd pick stink bombs to toss into the open window of any far-right sound truck. Or for that matter any sound truck, though far-right sound trucks would be the most fun. (I'll have to improve my aim though.)

I probably would have bought a Moulton TSR-30 instead of a Bike Friday if I could have bought it at the UK price without VAT instead of the Japanese price (with a huge markup for image-conscious Japanese cyclists):

TSR30DB_Seperable_Lrg.jpg

Unfortunately I had no trips to the UK coming up and Moulton won't let UK dealers sell abroad, so a Bike Friday it was, without suspension but a wider gear range and at half the price.

Joe--I've seen a version of that in a LBS. Very nice, but definitely pricey!

Back
Top Bottom