What's new

Double Otsuki ??

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
So Eric asked me if I want to get some more climbing in. Here's what he suggested -- how about a double Otsuki 4.5? Essentially riding out from Otsuki at about last train then doing Travis' 4.5 both ways. Anyone else game on this?

What is a "Travis' 4.5"?

So Eric asked me if I want to get some more climbing in. Here's what he suggested -- how about a double Otsuki 4.5? Essentially riding out from Otsuki at about last train then doing Travis' 4.5 both ways. Anyone else game on this?
No, of course no-one is "game on this". Don't be ridikkulus. You could invite Franz... but I'll bet he is mysteriously 'busy'.

Well, I was Franz baiting - but , alas, like Pantani's ghost - just a Fignon in my imagination. Anyway - I'm not doing this tonite - maybe next week. So - the 'game' is still on --- who's considering, please let us know!

I would like to give it a go but wouldn't like to try and keep up on more than a 4.5 at the moment. Just want to confirm that "last" train was not a typo?

Correct - the intention of the 'last train' is to be able to start about 4hrs or so before dawn. Then we get alot of the tedious climbing out of the way in the cooler environment. And also be able to finish the double loop in a reasonable time. Shooting for a 20kph average is good enough, the course will pretty much provide that. Now I'm looking at midweek (Wed night) as a potential date... depends on weather , too. If you want to join please have decent lights and confident to ride at a '10/10' (10kph @10% grade) minimum level.

Tim, night riding is certainly great for Japanese summer, but decent lights might not be good enough. With the road surface sketchy and descending in darkness, I recommend at least 150-200lumens, the more the better. Being seen well, and being able to see the road are two different kind of decent.

Both Eric and I have compact BORO lights. I really like them! Great illumination and pretty well water proof. USB chargeable. And they also seem to work (need to test more) being powered by a USB source - at lower ma. I also have a set of the Phillips Night Ride (thanks, Stu) and will probably use them when I finish building my Night Rider wheel (24x38mm carbon tubular w/ Dynamo)

I've been doing a lot of night climbs over the past 3months out in Yamanashi. Strapped a CAT EYE OptiCube (super cheap, looks like a short fat cigar) to my helmet. The first time I did it I had lights on the bars, bad idea, can't see around corners (esp switchbacks) or 'look' around. Thoroughly recommend having a light on your head over any on the bike itself. Easy to change a tube etc.image.jpg

Sorry, I'm going to wimp out though it looks like amazing fun. I'll just have to dream about those morning views.

C'mon people!!!! I'm gonna do this on a 40 year old steel bike with 6 gears, surely someone will take on the challenge with their feather weight steeds!

It gets to the perfect riding temperature! Maybe some arm covers for the decents but this time of year is perfect for night riding! During the day it got up to 28' C at the top of the mountain when I did the 4.5 last month.

In that case I'm up for this again, though the weather looks a bit iffy at the moment. Thanks Jules for the valuable advice, time to put on the work gloves and ready my helmet.

Maybe as an alternative to stay out drinking until morning on a Friday or Saturday I might do this. But double seems a bit intense.

Back
Top Bottom