What's new

Does anyone use embrocation cream?

OneForTheRoad

Speeding Up
Jan 3, 2021
Hello all,

As the temperatures are dropping, it reminds me of my terrible blood circulation issue.
Even now that is not so cold yet, my hands and feet are already freezing. Not only when riding, and regardless of how many socks, gloves, etc.. I use.

I have never used an "embrocation cream", but if it does what it claims, maybe it could be of some help.

Does anyone have experience/opinion on this?
Also, if someone has a product to recommend. It seems that Rapha discontinued their "winter embrocation". When searching online, only chamois cream pop on the results. :p

Thanks!

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
doesn't work in my experience. YMMV.

hands get a wool base layer, then an insulated glove, and finally a size larger than normal shell glove that is wind and water proof. The wool warms up as you sweat, the other two protect the wool from the elements. The good thing about this is you have options if the day gets warmer. Also if your digits do get achy, swinging your arms like windmills will drive the blood into them. (learnt that from playing rugby in minus temperatures when gloves were not the manly thing to wear. Recently World Rugby started to allow tights,(not for warmth but to protect skin on artificial surfaces)
Feet, cover up any holes in the shoes, wear socks and plastic food bags inside the shoes. If they are still cold neoprene booties can not be beat. Good luck.

Last edited:

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Hello all,

As the temperatures are dropping, it reminds me of my terrible blood circulation issue.
Even now that is not so cold yet, my hands and feet are already freezing. Not only when riding, and regardless of how many socks, gloves, etc.. I use.

I have never used an "embrocation cream", but if it does what it claims, maybe it could be of some help.

Does anyone have experience/opinion on this?
Also, if someone has a product to recommend. It seems that Rapha discontinued their "winter embrocation". When searching online, only chamois cream pop on the results. :p

Thanks!

I use it for racing, ie. when I want to get my legs out in winter. On amazon.jp do a search for 「Igname」. However, if you can buy or get delivered from overseas, Tiger Balm or Deepheat is in my opinion better and of course cheaper.

If your hands and feet are cold, embrocation won't help you. Merino wool underlayers and socks. A non breathable outershell windbreaker. A homecentre neck and head beanie. And the heaven that is neoprene covers for hands and feet are the answer for cold free everyday winter riding and training.

Andy

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Personally don't embro. My winter stuff...

Hands: BarMitts (Does not look cool. Works really well.)
Feet: Shimano winter shoes (current models are MW5 or MW7 - mine are much older and refuse to die) with a kairo heated pad in the toe.
Head & neck: Buff (I have a dozen or more)

If you have really bad circulation, @OneForTheRoad, and haven't done so already, it might be worth getting medical advice. Lots of things can cause it, and there are correspondingly lots of things that may improve your symptoms. I'm definitely not an expert, but I do know a couple of people with Raynaud's syndrome and they find that active heating (battery-powered inner gloves & insoles) make life a lot more bearable. Also moving to Singapore... ;-)

Last edited:

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
I never tried embro...

Hands stay warm if the body stays warm. The body reduces blood flow to the extremities if too much heat is lost elsewhere. So I wear a winter jacket and if that is not enough, a light wind breaker on top of that. With just the winter jacket, I can feel a cold draft at the seams near the shoulders, but not with the windbreaker on top. Layers, layers, layers!

You can lose a lot of heat at the ears, neck, cheeks. In cold weather I wear a headscarf that covers my ears. Buffs work well. Neither takes up much space when not in use.

For real winter weather I wear uniqlo lined trousers with longjohns underneath. For now it's still regular light trousers with short underwear. If it gets colder either change to long underwear or wear my wind-stopping nylon rain pants on top.

I love my merino wool socks. For colder weather I either wear "Belgian shoe covers" (old socks on top of the cycling shoes, with holes cut for the cleats) or my cheap rain booties. With either the feet remain warm and toasty.

For the hands I normally wear fingerless gloves or full fingered knit gloves, or the knit gloves on top of the fingerless gloves. For really cold rides I use "ghetto bar mitts", i.e. plastic bags covering the drops, secured to the bar ends with rubber bands as they remove the wind chill. Basically I only have to carry the rubber bands as I can always get the plastic bags for a few yen when I shop at conbini. I got the idea from local ramen shop delivery moped riders who used empty rice plastic bags on their handlebars to keep their hands warm. I only use those for early morning or late night rides or very cold descents, then take them off and store them in the front bag. I can ride with fingerless gloves inside the ghetto bar mitts which is great for operating a touchscreen.

OneForTheRoad

Speeding Up
Jan 3, 2021
Thanks for everyone's input.

Just to make it clear, I don't feel cold myself. I have neck warmer, head band, gloves, water/windproof shoes cover and all the necessary apparatus for winter :)
However, as Mike mentioned, for people who has blood circulation issues (such as Raynaud's syndrome), even if your core is warm, the extremities can be still pretty cold to numb.

My rational behind my idea of using embrocation cream is that it is suppose to reduce blood vessel constriction (if my understanding is correct).Therefore, I thought it could help.

I think that for now, kairo for shoes is the easiest solution.

Top Bottom