What's new

Help Does anyone have a bike I can borrow?

TimeTraveler

Maximum Pace
Feb 6, 2012
Hello TCC,

On August 28, 2013, a LBS cracked the top tube of my frame!!! I should have listened to my intuition and should have waited a few more days to meet with Eric to tune my bike. But, as we had some difficulty getting together I figured I would give one of three LBS a shot.

Well, I am not enthusiastic with the service provided by any of the choices as I can refer to a cornucopia of service mishaps over the years. So, I thought I would go to the least terrible of the three. Of course, on this day the shop was closed! And as luck, or the lack of, would have it, my last choice of shops was the only one that could work on my bike that day. I struggled with myself when making the decision to go there as my gut feeling kept telling this was a mistake.

In a perfect world, you would think that you could take your bike to a shop, go for a cup of coffee and return later to pick up your bike and be on your way, right? Wrong! Instead you return to the frightening sight of a panicking mechanic frantically pulling bikes from a pile with yours on the bottom. This is my reality! (see images below)

The shop has agreed to replace my frame or pay me the cost for a new one, but until this matter is settled I am bike-less for a while. Does anyone have a 56cm or taller bike I could borrow for a few days?

Thank you all for reading this report.

Cheers,

Kevin

2013-08-30 09.21.10.jpg 2013-08-30 09.21.22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How the hell did they do that? Take the money and run away from there like a robbers dog.
Cant help as I am up in Aomori. Send a message to @GSAstuto about you woes. Hope you get a nice new ride soon.

Bikes from a pile? Sounds like some other casualties there!

sorry to hear about the bike.....

How the hell did they do that?

My head is still in a spin about that as well???

Bikes from a pile? Sounds like some other casualties there!

sorry to hear about the bike.....

thanks theDude! I am not sure about more causalities as the others were MTBs.

Ouch! Definitely a Clamp Stand meets Top Tube scenario. Well, repair on those is not much a hassle - so please try to get your old frame back. At least you'll be able to have a spare. If there were some scratching around the wound, then I'd suspect something quite heavy was dropped on the frame, like a fishing tackle box or tool box or pipefitters wrench. But it seems fairly blemish free which indicates a crush damage.

Oh, but , yeah, I have a larger bike you can borrow. I'll have to bring it into Shinjuku. Just PM me and let me know.

Ouch! Definitely a Clamp Stand meets Top Tube scenario. Well, repair on those is not much a hassle - so please try to get your old frame back. At least you'll be able to have a spare. If there were some scratching around the wound, then I'd suspect something quite heavy was dropped on the frame, like a fishing tackle box or tool box or pipefitters wrench. But it seems fairly blemish free which indicates a crush damage.

Oh, but , yeah, I have a larger bike you can borrow. I'll have to bring it into Shinjuku. Just PM me and let me know.

GSAstuto, thanks for the advice! I will try to convince the shop owner to give me the damaged frame. PM sent.

Cheers,
Kevin

TimeTravler - if they are replacing the frame with a brand new one then basically the old one belongs to them.... right?

I can understand you are pissed - I had a top of the line frame scratched up once in a shop in the UK and they tried to pull off the whole, it was like this one you brought it in line, Until I pointed out that the bike was bought in that very shop 1 hour ago and I had brought it back in due to the handle bars being off and needed them to be straightened.

Anyway don't go all dodgy and ruin the good karma ;)

TimeTravler - if they are replacing the frame with a brand new one then basically the old one belongs to them.... right?

I can understand you are pissed - I had a top of the line frame scratched up once in a shop in the UK and they tried to pull off the whole, it was like this one you brought it in line, Until I pointed out that the bike was bought in that very shop 1 hour ago and I had brought it back in due to the handle bars being off and needed them to be straightened.

Anyway don't go all dodgy and ruin the good karma ;)

FarEast - over the years I have learned that getting irate will get you nowhere fast in Japan. Yes, technically the bike will belong to the shop once they have replaced or paid for my frame. So, instead of brow beating and intimidation I will use the persuasive power of finagling to get the frame.

The other bargaining chip you have is they offered to pay you out, they wouldn't want to do that(New frame plus the old frame back so you can put it on your trainer or a cash out. ). But if they are sincerely trying their best to put it right then maybe that is worth something in their favor, I feel sorry for the dude that toppled the bikes over, was it a member of staff, the owner or a customer?

I guessing that you won't get the frame back as TIME has a crash replacement warranty in place that requires the shop to return it to the manufacture.

I feel sorry for the dude that toppled the bikes over, was it a member of staff, the owner or a customer?

Yeah, I feel sorry for the guy as well. He is their most knowledgeable and capable mechanic, plus he is respectful and has a sense of humor. I went by the shop yesterday and he was in a somber mood. I was glad to see that he's still employed.

This is an sad story and I hope you get resolution soon.

Meanwhile, I can't help feeling that NANOSTRENGTH® is a curious choice of name. Like micro-strength, but a thousand times less strong.

Similar thing happened to a friend's frame but due to a crash.

It's kinda funny they refer to 'Nano anything' and yet - 99% of all frames are constructed of woven carbon. I think a very few mfg experimented with nanotube construction - but it is very expensive (currently) to produce. BMC is one mfg that I know incorporates some nanotube materials into their framesets. They key point of this is that even Nanotube construction would have failed under a direct impact scenario. My own bike suffered a small puncture 'wound' on the Super Rindo due a kicked up stone. Luckily - it was in a place easily patched.

Back
Top Bottom