What's new

Disposing of bike tyres

TonyT

Cruising
May 4, 2022
Just wondering if anyone knows how tyres are supposed to be disposed of. Burnable rubbish, non-burnable, or something else? I'm in Setagaya if that makes any difference.

You'll have to check locally--their guidelines.

(Here, they're burnable. Oddly, from my POV, shoes are burnable here, too.)

「令和5年(2023年)版資源・ごみの収集カレンダー」 (published by Setagaya-ku; and, ahem! marked 保存版, so you shouldn't have chucked it out) doesn't seem to comment on tyres, specifically. However, page 12 makes a couple of points that are relevant here. First, things made out of rubber and leather are 可燃ごみ = burnable (i.e. regular, twice-a-week garbage). Secondly, whereas a wire coat-hanger is non-burnable, a plastic or wood coat-hanger is burnable despite having a metal hook, because the majority of the whole thing is burnable. I infer that even if a bicycle tyre has a metal bead, the fact that most of it is rubber makes it burnable.

Things such as belts and hoses should be no more than 50 cm long. (I simply fold old tyres into a messy approximation of the form they were in when I bought them, and then tie them up, before I trash them.)

@jdd , there are other ways of disposing of shoes.

if you are unsure, throw them in the unburnables which get sorted by hand.

Thanks for your help all!
@microcord I agree with your reasoning. If you can burn something made out of rubber and something with a bit of metal, then you can burn a bicycle tyre.

However, then I found this:
Items that are difficult for the local government to handle: Fire extinguishers, tires, batteries, paint, oils and petroleum products, chemicals (such as pesticides and powerful drugs), pianos, heat-resistant safes, rocks, sand, dirt, bricks, tiles, drywall, products containing asbestos, injection needles for use in medical treatment*, etc.

Still, they're probably referring to car tyres. If not, then it's easier to dispose of an entire bicycle than a tyre.

You'll have to check locally--their guidelines.

(Here, they're burnable. Oddly, from my POV, shoes are burnable here, too.)

So much of what is burnable is fascinating. I'm glad this thread is here because I have a growing pile of tires. Most of them are stuffed into a bag, but I have started to run out of room. I guess I'll start sticking them in the "burnable" trash. That feels so wrong.

@Tsuga The other thing here (assuming uchinada is the same) is the largish plastic boxes, like used for storage--bigger ones for clothes, or a shoe-box size for junk like in a desk drawer, or bike tools, etc. CD cases and old VHS are also burnable here. Unmarked plastics (no recycle mark) go in burnable. You still need the paid-for bags, but for stuff slightly too big, like the storage boxes, you can tape the bag to the item.

Maybe some other factors, but one I've heard is that higher temperature of the incinerators can burn more things.

Setagaya resident here.

It is burnable. I don't remember my source and I'm too lazy to search Google to find it, but a few years ago I found an official Setagaya Ku document somewhere that stated explicitly that tires go in the burnable gomi.

Maybe some other factors, but one I've heard is that higher temperature of the incinerators can burn more things.
Here in Kawasaki, everything burns...

Back
Top Bottom