What's new

Tech Different brake caliper sizes?

Just looking at the LB website, it seems like they are marketing these as disc brake wheels with the ability to specific a rim brake track. Seems very odd to me as I don't think most manufacturers make brake callipers that would clear a 30mm rim.

Yeah, this. You're spot on. I already want to figure out if I can send them back and get them converted to disc brake and then just upgrade to that.

Besides the hubs and their end of making the change, what do I need to be aware of frame/fork wise when switching to disc?

Yeah, this. You're spot on. I already want to figure out if I can send them back and get them converted to disc brake and then just upgrade to that.

Besides the hubs and their end of making the change, what do I need to be aware of frame/fork wise when switching to disc?
Not sure I understand your question. Are you looking to buy a new disc brake bike?

Not sure I understand your question. Are you looking to buy a new disc brake bike?

Haha, probably. I'm not sure what I want at this point. I like the current frame, nothing wrong with it. But from a substantial research into caliper sizes over the last 48 hours, the advice I see on weightweenies and other forums is that to change to disc brakes you need to consider wheelset, frame and forks. I'm hoping to cut short a ton of extra research online by asking here what the main considerations are for fork and frame issues with changing to disc brakes. And could I just use my 105 shifters on the current group set, or will I need to replace the entire groupset too?

you won't be able to use your current frame, fork, wheels (or at least hubs) if you're going disk. shifters only if you go for cable mechanical disks. hydraulics - and it's new shifters too. just let the new wheels sink in for several weeks is my advice. you'll slowly begin to see what you might need/want

you won't be able to use your current frame, fork, wheels (or at least hubs) if you're going disk. shifters only if you go for cable mechanical disks. hydraulics - and it's new shifters too. just let the new wheels sink in for several weeks is my advice. you'll slowly begin to see what you might need/want

Really? Disc brakes need entirely new frames, forks and hubs? Dang. Might as well just buy a new bike. Muahahahaha.

disk brake calipers mount completely differently, so yeah, it just doesn't mix with the rim brake designed bike at all

disk brake calipers mount completely differently, so yeah, it just doesn't mix with the rim brake designed bike at all

Thanks, that helps my mindset a lot. Hope the ride is on tomorrow and we can meet up.

Yes very much depends on your frame. Another fun gotcha: Hub width depends on frame whether you got a old style 135mm QR type or newer 142mm TA/QR.

Yes very much depends on your frame. Another fun gotcha: Hub width depends on frame whether you got a old style 135mm QR type or newer 142mm TA/QR.

Is your name a reference to FinalFantasy?

Back
Top Bottom