Diet Discussion

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
Having tried numerous methods of weight reduction:
From riding more, eating less, eating this and not eating that... over many years I know what I need to do to be at a healthy weight range. Not easy to do though when one is often tempted with forbidden fruit and irregular work/sleep patterns.

What works for you?

I've been testing the Paleo diet the last 2 weeks and it really agrees with me.
Basically lots of fruits, veggies and lean meat.
No added sugar, salt, dairy, processed foods and avoid starchy veggies, beans & grains.

Quite often people have opposite mind sets to what you should or shouldn't eat and often more than one theory can be correct. The body doesn't want to be over weight and if you give it the right tools and time it will fix itself.

For the last week I've been not following the rules exactly.
I've been using up my protein powder supply and vitamin tablets as well.

Twice a day I've been making a huge smoothie of either frozen berries or fruit with some almonds and 2 scoops of protein powder. Like eating frozen yogurt.
Very filling.
Dinners have been eggs, meat, chicken, small fish, egg plant, broccoli, avacado or whatever I can mix together in the fry pan with a bit of olive oil or grape seed oil. Had a nice grilled chicken, chilli, lemon paprica & eggplant dish the other night that tasted like an MSG laden Sweet and Sour Pork dish you'd get from the local Chinese Take away.

For the first 2 days I was getting sugar withdrawal symptoms but after that I haven't been hungry at all.

After having poor riding results since January, last Tuesday night I easily beat my training partners on our one hour weekly race. (Have been dropped continuously since about Feb).

Have more energy.
Have already lost 3kgs.

I think the lack of bread and rice has been a big factor...

My only concern now is when I go to Australia soon where it will be cold and I'll be tempted by foods I haven't eaten in 5 years...

Most people on this site are already in great condition and don't need to lose weight but for me it is a constant battle. Even when I'm super fit it is very hard to lose weight (usually). It seems exercise is a small part in weight management for me but more what I eat and when I eat it.

Any thoughts?
Advice?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
I don't know if you looked at my diet that i was following on the blog but I've lost 20kg over the past year.

One of the biggest factors I noticed is that we all over eat and I found that I could loose weight while still eating what I wanted If i followed the recomended allowance or portions.

Like you I serious cut back on rice, bread and pasta and seriously upped the green veggies and fruit. My riding has seriously improved.

The hardest part was maintaining the wattage while reducing the weight and that took a lot of work.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Great topic! I lost a bit more than 20kg last year as well. I'm pretty firm believer than in order to lose weight you need to basically fight the fat first. Then work on balanced diet so you can up the power accordingly - along with expected lean muscle mass.

So - first thing I did was focus on fat. This comes at compromise to power to muscle - but I wanted to get it down quickly. So - spend majority training time in the 'fat burn' zone and carb-starve as much as possible. This gave me the most dramatic fat loss. Along with cutting out my beloved beer(s), ramen, and anything with fat as much as possible.

Next - I started to increase training hardness, and thus I needed more carbs. But try to stick to the 'Low GI' ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Ocassionally I just give up and eat alot of bad food - well, then it just means corresponding time in the pedals to offset.

Cutting down on <white> rice and <white> bread makes alot of sense according to the GI index they are actually HIGHER than fruits!! Even though fruits seem sweeter!

Riding consistently was also a key factor for me. If I lay off for a few days my hunger is still there - so its 2x hard to eat less. So - I gotta ride consistently to match hunger with energy use. Dropping weight slower now - but strength is going up. I think my stasis point will be around 65-67kg.

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
Envy both your 20kg losses.
I'm down 10kg from peak oil.
But would like to be another 10kg. I think it is necessary if I am to keep racing.
Basically, this year I've not entered any races and have been concentrating on getting my weight right first. Sick of entering races overweight and pushing myself too hard. Just hurting myself in trying.

FarEast: Just had another read of your blog. All good info there.

Just going to Costco now to do a bit of hunting and gathering...

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Those first 20 went by pretty fast. Its the next 5 that are the killers! But seems to be where convergence takes place. Increasing lean muscle while at same time dropping the fat is a gnarly challenge indeed. I don't want to bulk up - just get lean muscle mass and reasonable, maintainable fitness. In my racing days it was all about dieting and training to lose ANY excess fat without adversely affecting the 'engine' muscles. Which meant at some cost to upper body conditioning and bulking. I'd prefer a more balanced approach now.

Sep 2, 2009
I basically eat a diet of Sashimi, loads of tomatoes, chicken, other veg and loads of cups of tea.

I have never been a big rice eater, and know that the white rice you get in Japan is pretty much decoration. Brown rice is way better.

When I used to be into body building, it was all about cramming in as many proteins as possible, with complex carbs to pump the energy in. I can imagine that riding very long distances wouldn't really benefit from that, but a cut down version would be good I reckon.

I am no nutritionalist though, and just speaking from experience, so if I got anything wrong, don't quote me on it.:angel:

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
My most major problem is too much beer. If I could eliminate that all other diet considerations would be irrelevant. :)

Other than that, I try to prep food so that there'll be leftovers (or have the wife do the same), so that (-->important) I can eat that over the next day or two for lunch instead of eating something out of the school cafeteria. Also, tho we eat a fair proportion of brown rice at home, either taking that along for lunch or just adding some soup and white rice to the leftovers from home seems fine.

Tho it looks like a lentil soup may not fit with some of the above comments, it is something that can be made in advance and will keep for several days or more in the fridge. I add various veggies early on, and use an immersion blender to cream it all. Some pork or chicken for meat flavor, then a bit of flour/butter to bind it. Also, either baked chicken (effectively bbq'd chicken) or chicken curry (indian style, nowhere near japanese style curry) both keep in the fridge for days. And with some brown rice either one makes a good lunch.

Dinner I usually skip rice completely--just the main and some salad.

Walnuts are good snack nuts, and they're low salt, too. Good with a bit of cheese. (And beer, or wine)

Sep 2, 2009
Yeah, with you on the beer!

I had my medical results back today, and surprisingly everything was fine, despite me being a very naughty boy when I was younger...

So yeah, cutting out the booze is pretty much my training regime at the mo!

Haha.

mangy

Warming-Up
Dec 7, 2007
Ontario
No Beer???

There are a few decent lite beers out there. It's a compromise but I just can't give up the beer. I only ride because I know there is a beer waiting for me when I get back!!!

I guess I could give up the croissants for breakfast...

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Breakfast kaizen suggestions?

This is an interesting thread. I'm really lazy and sleepy in the mornings. Breakfast has to be really easy. Anything more complicated and time consuming than pouring stuff from one container into another is a problem. I like to get breakfast and settle down to eat it while reading my newspaper before the rest of the house wakes up.

Typical breakfast:
Bowl of Kellogg's Bran Flakes*
Semi-skimmed milk
Half a handful of raisins

Two slices white bread, toasted
Unidentified 'butter effect' spread
Dollop of honey, jam or marmalade

Cup of tea with semi-skim milk and a Canderel sweetener tab​

*If we're out of Bran Flakes I'll take whatever is in the next box on the shelf - Frosties or ChocoLoops or whatever.

Any suggestions on how I can make this healthier without (i) having to do lots of preparation or (ii) feeling hungry for the rest of the morning?

--HF Mike--

paullb

Warming-Up
May 24, 2010
Fuchu
This is an interesting thread. I'm really lazy and sleepy in the mornings. Breakfast has to be really easy. Anything more complicated and time consuming than pouring stuff from one container into another is a problem. I like to get breakfast and settle down to eat it while reading my newspaper before the rest of the house wakes up.

Typical breakfast:
Bowl of Kellogg's Bran Flakes*
Semi-skimmed milk
Half a handful of raisins

Two slices white bread, toasted
Unidentified 'butter effect' spread
Dollop of honey, jam or marmalade

Cup of tea with semi-skim milk and a Canderel sweetener tab​

*If we're out of Bran Flakes I'll take whatever is in the next box on the shelf - Frosties or ChocoLoops or whatever.

Any suggestions on how I can make this healthier without (i) having to do lots of preparation or (ii) feeling hungry for the rest of the morning?

--HF Mike--
Swap out the "bran flakes/misc cereal" for museli?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Breakfast is an all out affair for me! It actually takes up about 35-40% of my daily caloric intake, it's actualy the one meal you shouldn't really cut back on.

My breakfast normaly involves Nutella..... the pro choice.

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
I've been doing this for breakfast for the last month or so...
only takes 2 minutes to make....almost no processed food...

I've been buying the frozen fruit packs at COSTCO.
Marionberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and mixed fruit...
I also got a small blender at COSTCO that only I use for MY meals.

I choose my fruit for the meal depending on what I want or have and put about a cup and a half in the blender.
I'll add about 15 almonds, very little mango juice or skim milk and 2 large table spoons of whatever protein powder I have and blend it all into an icee smoothie.

Quite often eat it out of the blender's bowl...then rinse it clean.

If I know I will want one of these for lunch as well I make it the night before and put it back in the freezer in a plastic container. Thaws out just about right by lunchtime.

IT's like eating ice cream only it's healthy...

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Swap out the "bran flakes/misc cereal" for museli?
Forty years of conditioning is hard to break. In my mind muesli = hamster bedding.
only takes 2 minutes to make....almost no processed food [...] It's like eating ice cream only it's healthy...
OK I might give that a shot. Thanks. Might have to join the household's designated shopper on the next Costco run... they usually conflict with, er, cycling!

I've never owned or taken protein powder - prefer sausages. Will it be horrible without? Is it something I should get?

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
With these shakes, the protein gives it the ice creamy texture and if you order from somewhere like bodybuilding.com they have plenty of flavours to choose from. Shipping is not too bad. I usually order 6 months supply and they throw in a free T-shirt or something.

Easy to have a protein shake anytime... filling and supposedly good for you.
I also keep a supply of protein powder under my desk at work so that if I'm tempted to go and buy some crap at the work cafe I will skull down a glass of protein and water.

Sausages are nice but I wouldn't want one in my fruit blend. I'm also a bit skeptical about what sausages actually contain these days.

Nutella is also pretty awesome but you need to be burning a lot of calories all the time to enjoy that stuff. (Like Far East does).

EDIT:

It's probably not a great idea to mix protein and fruit so if you are looking at losing weight one theory is to leave the proteins till after noon...

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Breakfast?

Big bowl of mixed cereal made up of muesli, cornflakes and branflakes with milk.
Half a banana, kiwi and apple (the wife eats the other halves).
1 slice of toast with margarine and jam. (2 slices if the ride to work merits it)
Glass of orange juice.
A couple of cups of coffee.
Multi vitamin. 2 x vitamin C.

Best meal of the day!

I don’t pay too much attention to what I eat during the on-season. If calories in Vs calories out matches up then that’s fine. I dread to think how many calories I put in after Sunday’s race though (2L bottle of coke, mixed nuts, crisps, chips, 2 ice creams, 1L milk, 1L orange juice, pizza, a few litres of heartland beer (recommended)).

The great thing about cycling is that you can allow yourself to live like ELVIS once in a while and not worry about it too much!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
James, why not!?

A friend of mine who used to live in Japan is a fantastic cyclist. He’s done the tour of Japan, Hokkaido and even the Canadian national championships.

After a race we would stop somewhere to eat on the way home. He would always order two of the exact same meals. Being foreigners in Japan, this would always cause confusion. “Why do you want three meals when there are only two of you?” He would always say his friend was coming soon just to cause no fuss and then wolf both of them down. Not an ounce of fat on him!

Andy