dhb Super Roubaix Bib Tights

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Guys,

As many of you know I'm rather fussy about what I wear and what goes on the bike (especially the bike) and what with the winter upon us I decided it was about time to get some new kit as my current team don't really like me wearing stuff with another bike brand labelled all over it. ;)

So I went for some kit that not only wasn't covered in logos but also not super expensive as the new 2011 kit will arrive mid Feb.

So looking around I decided to go with the dhd Super Roubaix bib tights from Wiggle, these are own brand by wiggle, designed and tested in the UK and then made in Europe, location depends on product.

Now the tights were on the cheap side, ¥7869 to be exact which is a fraction of the cost compared to other brands with the same features.

Some of the features of these are:

• 245g Premium Italian Super Roubaix Fabric (Cold weather)
  • Windslam knee panels kill wind chill factor
  • Teflon coating for water resistantce
  • Anatomical patterning to fit your body
  • Soft elastic binding for comfort
  • Premium CyTech Elastic Interface Tour pad
  • Elasticated silicone ankle grip
  • YKK ankle zips with reflective tab
  • Reflective dhb print rear
  • Red dhb icon front

One thing I want to point out is that Roubaix fabric is made in Italy and then shipped out to another location in Europe for production so the Roubaix fabric is the real deal!

Now price vs. quality is always a concern so I decided I would ride with them before posting this and after 150km along the coast of Kanagawa with Mike I was more than happy with the quality. The lowest temp was around 2.0 °C with a wind chill factor of about - 1.0 °C first thing in the morning and the wind proofing on the knees was excellent.

As the day and millage wore on the temp raised to a max of 20.0 °C and the breathability again worked wonders, my old thermal Roubaix tights didn’t breathe to well. So on returning home I was impressed that I couldn’t wring out the sweat from the base layers and tights.

Also the padding is excellent, and very thick ideal for touring or for those of us doing our long slow distance training.

Got to say so far I give these 10/10, for cost, quality and performance and I will be wearing them on the Ekiden to get a better feel for them and to test them in more diverse conditions.

Also just for the record, I ordered the 2011 dhb Long Sleeve Windslam Roubaix Jersey ¥5976 and the dhb Wisp Jacket ¥2988

So I now have my main layers covered for ¥16,833 which is about half the price of branded Roubaix thermal tights! :D

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Its an ongoing review as I need to put the millage in to see if the seams and padding hold.

To put it in to prespective my last pair of Roubaix tights I got 18 years ago and I still use them, so they need to last at least one season with no visible wear to really impress me!

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Got a pair of these for xmas, but the wx's been so shi*ty that I haven't had a chance to get out in them.

I'd offer that I'm 6'1"/186cm and that the XL size is perfect. I actually ordered the L size at the same time, too, for comparison, but have since returned those as they were too small.

ps-- got mine for about ¥7100 via the wiggle xmas-20 sale.

Sep 2, 2009
I only really use dhb leg-wear now.

No reason in my mind to use anything else (they conform to 'The Rules' too).

I own several pairs, shorts and tights, and have found them to be excellent.

The padding inside is especially good.

Ludwig

Speeding Up
Oct 9, 2008
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
I'd offer that I'm 6'1"/186cm and that the XL size is perfect. I actually ordered the L size at the same time, too, for comparison, but have since returned those as they were too small.
Thanks! I'm slightly taller, so will then definitely need XL.

Do any of you have the non-Roubaix dhb bib tights (i.e. the cheapest/lightest version)? How do they compare? What sort of (Japanese) weather are they good for?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Thanks, James. Looking forward to seeing them on the 2nd. Which size did you get? L or XL?
I went with the L as I like everything race fit.... just a little tighter ;) (im 188cm tall so you really have the choice between the L and the XL Ludwig)

Like I said the jury is still out as they really need to be put through the mixer before I pass final judgement.

But as I mentioned so far they are excellent and they don't feel like cheap kit.

Thanks! I'm slightly taller, so will then definitely need XL.

Do any of you have the non-Roubaix dhb bib tights (i.e. the cheapest/lightest version)? How do they compare? What sort of (Japanese) weather are they good for?
The Super Roubaix are for extreme weather conditions and although they don't come with an official weather rating I've experienced wind chill conditions as low as -10°C and been warm.

The non-Roubaix will be Autumn and Spring type conditions and don't offer any wind protection. Probably good for rides in April-May but I would probably go forthe 3/4 tights as once the sun gets out Japan can get pretty warm. I have no experience with those tights but if the information was as accurate as it was for the S.R tights then it will be spot on.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Well, ymmv. I have an adidas set that has been okay, but that is not quite total winter protection--I just put on a set of tights over top when I need a little more protection.

So I've got these new dhb tights, and it's thunder and lightning outside these days, so it'll be a while before I actually ride in them. They're heavier than the adidas, but I've got no actual ride time in them.

Still, I was worried about sizing, and I ordered both L and XL from wiggle. The choice was obvious, at least to me, I kept the XL and return the L size.

Haven't tried it yet, but the XL at least leave some extra room for that sock trick that someone here was talking about a while back.

Sep 2, 2009
I have a pair of the dhb Pace Padded Bib Tight 2011.

The size I went for was large.

I am 178cm tall, but am built larger than the average road racer. The large is good for me, as the slack is taken up with my chest, back and shoulders. I imagine the average 178cm slim road rider would find these a little too big, and may be advised to go for a medium.

The fit on the legs is really nice, and the construction is great. The zips all feel good, the banding on the bottom is nice, and the padding is excellent.

Not much else to add, other than for the price, this stuff is unbeatable.

Starting to see it a LOT on some of the faster riders up and down the Arakawa in Saitama, so I guess we are not the only guess cottoning-on...

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Just read that the padding for all dhb products is made and designed by Cytech who are leaders in pad technology and used by Assos and other brands.

You can't get any more pro tour than that guys!

Badar

Warming-Up
Sep 24, 2010
Tokyo
I also happened to buy this product recently and since it was first ever I can't really compare it in respect to others... but on my recent Kyoto-Tokyo trip I used it on all the four days and found them very comfortable and toasty. The minimum temperature I faced was 4C though.

I am 170cm, bought the small size and it fits snugly.

The only glitch it has is that its ankle zips keep opening by itself while riding... even when tucked under booties! Another thing I noticed is that it has developed some lint ball formations under on the outer layer under the padding and some on the front part near the stomach... but I don't know if its normal or is it my riding style..

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Badar,

Thge lint balls are normal for Roubaix tights. It's almost like felt, basically a micro fleacing and once the initial loose fibres have come off it will be fine. Don't worry about brushing them away they will wash out over time.

As for the zips didn't have that issue myself yet, one trick though is Zip wax or standard wax. Just gives a little friction for the zipper to work against but also protects the zipper.

Badar

Warming-Up
Sep 24, 2010
Tokyo
Badar,

Thge lint balls are normal for Roubaix tights. It's almost like felt, basically a micro fleacing and once the initial loose fibres have come off it will be fine. Don't worry about brushing them away they will wash out over time.
I wouldn't worry if the lint balls were on the fleece lining but instead it is on the outer shell in my case..!

Badar

Warming-Up
Sep 24, 2010
Tokyo
They are mostly below the padding.. but that may be because of friction from saddle but then I also have some on the left thigh and on the stomach area which is quite unusual..

..btw, I discovered a small slit (~5mm long) in the bib just near the waist, I don't know how. Is there any way to repair it? I don't want it to ruin my new bib tight :(