What's new

Designing a hostel for you guys,and..Heeeelp~

Sodierinabox

Warming-Up
Oct 14, 2008
Hi there!I am studying architecture,and this year our theme is to design a hostel for cycling youthes (ciclisti in italian.).I think the real way to do it is to ask you guys what you want in a hostel for you and your friends,what you need, what amazing or sucking memories you have...so,pals,come help me out!
THanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!XD
It's a small hostel for 20 just on the shore,on the sea actually,somewhere near Puglia in middle Italy.
so...would you please answer these questions?
thanks a lot!!!

1.when you finally reach the hostel after an exhausting day,what do you want to do first?
2.do you like staying late on a trip and talk to people or go to sleep early bc of tomorrow?
3.do you like a big big comune space where you can do a lot of things but a relately small space for sleeping?
4.Do you mind a big room for 8?or do you prefer a small room for 2?
5.what do you usually do at night in a hostel?
6.what do you usually do in the day time in a hostel?
7.how many hours did you spent in a hostel last time you were there?
8.tell me a bit about your best experience in a hostel~
9.and bad ones?
10.now if you have to design one for yourself,what's your big idea?
11.anything you wanna say,I mean,anything~

Heeelp and Thanks you guys!

1: unpack and get clean
2: sleep after a chat, asleep before 10
3:Yes small bedrooms are okay but small common areas suck
4: Big bedrooms are noisy, there is always some moron trying to find something in his plastic bag at 2am. The chances of getting stuck with a snorer increase with bigger rooms as well. Finally there is the security issue.
5: Get clean, eat and chat, chill in front of the TV and catch up on E Mails, uploads e.t.c. Then a good nights sleep
6: N/A
7:14 hours. Arrive at 5pm. sleep at 10pm on the road at 7am
8: there was a girl from England .....
9: there was a guy that smelled like a sewer(stunk the room out with his gear) and woke everyone in the room, 6 of us, by coming home drunk at 2am and then tried to stealthily get undressed changed and packed for the next morning.
10: large area to store and work on bikes. security to stop just anyone from entering. large bathroom so there are plenty of shower cubicles. Make them with locks so valuables don't have to be left alone. Too much stuff gets nicked while people are showering. Personal safes to keep valuables in.
11: don't forget emergency and safety arrangements in your plan.

1.when you finally reach the hostel after a exhausting day,what do you want to do first?

First I would clean my bike in preparation for next day (not a want, more a must and better to get it done so I can relax). Need a clean space with water, brushes, pump etc. and then somewhere dry & secure to store the bike.

2.do you like staying late on a trip and talk to people or go to sleep early bc of tomorrow?

I would enjoy unwinding in a common space but would retire around 10PM and want darkness and SILENCE!!!

3.do you like a big big comune space where you can do a lot of things but a relately small space for sleeping?

Most likely I would be riding in a group and would want a space for the group to meet without having to fight with other groups for space. I would want the sleeping area kept small (max 4 people) so that those who want to retire early can do without being disturbed by those who want to stay up drinking.

Max 4 people (see above)

Normally the group gets together, drinks a few beers and talks. I dislike hostels that feel a need to provide modern entertainment (television, arcade games, karaoke). However, a hot spring with sauna is a real plus (take a look at a Japanese onsen)

I would be out doors doing something.

2 nights from 6PM - 7AM

Skiing. Excellent location. Good ski facilities including drying, waxing etc. Warm community area. Good shower / hot spring / sauna to rejuvenate after hard day. Decent cafe with choice. Quiet bedrooms. Clean public areas, clean toilets, clean bed linen. CLEAN.

9.and bad ones?

Excellent location - so you've got no choice but to suffer our cramped sleeping facilities, dirty toilets and shit attitude - cause if you don't like it, get out!

A Japanese ryokan in the style of a hostel

11.anything you wanna say,I mean,anything~

Understanding how much users are willing to pay will be an important factor in the design

[/QUOTE]

A Japanese ryokan in the style of a hostel

The availability of yukata's are great. If you're unfamiliar with these they are basically dressing gowns which the hotel/hostel owns.

If you're cycling then it's very nice to arrive at the hotel and be able to change into something dry, but not have to carry these clothes throughout your travels.

It's not on your list, but a supply of clothes that guests can wear would be nice.

Massage !

If we are going a little up market then the onsen (hot spring) plus massage after a long ride is the best. Having someone else clean your bike plus washing machine for overnight kit refresh would be good too !!

chazzer

thanks everyone!

Thanks!I am soooo happy to find out your answers!Before I never know what's the point!!!
I hope to see most replies but I think I've got something..:cool:
Thanks again!~:D

1.when you finally reach the hostel after an exhausting day,what do you want to do first?
A cold shower followed by a long soak in a hot bath. Then FOOD FOOD FOOD.

I do enjoy talking to people, especially since I tend to ride out on my own and after a long day with just myself I'm starved for conversation. So I'll stay up talking until exhaustion overcomes me, which is probably around 10pm.

I do enjoy a large communal space for socializing, with maybe a couple smaller areas for smaller gatherings or quiter conversations. As for sleeping, I can sleep anywhere, especially after a long day of riding.

It really doesn't matter to me. I can sleep anywhere, and would probably opt for an 8-person room if that was cheaper.

While on a cycling trip, I'll sleep by 10pm or so. If I have the energy, I may go out to a bar or something to see the area.

If I'm not already off on my way and sticking around for a second night, I'll be checking out the local area, not in the hostel.

Maybe 16 hours. Arrive at 4pm, leave at 8am.

Can't think of anything in particular, but it usually involves ample food and good conversation with new friends over cold drinks.

9.and bad ones?
Being driven mad by mosquitoes.

If we're talking about a hostel specifically for cyclists, I would like a proper area to lock up bikes as well as an area to work on them with a repair stand, proper tools, cleaning brushes, and tire pumps.

Back
Top Bottom