Deliberate acts of idiocy

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
How do you guys deal with vehicles driving in a deliberately dangerous manner towards you?

I had a guy try to run me off the road tonight, leaving me a few inches between a parked car and his kei car as he sped past at a decreasing angle. I had to brake and take evasive action.

I caught and followed him and after letting him know we should chat with a little rap on his cage. I pulled over, he went to get out of his cage, saw me and retreated back to safety. We said our pieces, the end of which was. I asked him who would get injured if we had an accident and he insisted he would, then corrected it to his box kei car.

I had had enough, asked him to be on his way. He insisted I go first. So i took off and pulled over sheltering behind a pole as he went passed. I didn't trust him one bit.

I don' t think I will take this aggressive approach in the future there is little chance I can come out on top.

trad

Maximum Pace
Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
for me, i try hard to stay clear of idiots with a 3000-4000 pound weapon. when its bad, i take pictures of idiots in their car/license plate when I catch them at next light. seems to do the trick most of the time.

did have a confrontation in with a cabby in Narita who tried to run me off of the road. managed to slow down enough, but made sure we "tapped". I called police and let them take car of the cabby. in the end cabby was ultra apologetic, admitted his rash/stupid act of violence, and even game me a bit of trouble money on the spot.

theDude

Maximum Pace
Oct 7, 2011
Tokyo
app.strava.com
I've only seen one deliberate person trying to hit cyclists, this was on my first TCC ride. Was that guy in the gray audi TT. Being in the back I could see this pretty obviously. We passed back and forth over the course of 10-15km in traffic many many times. I don't think doing anything physically to the car would have gone well, unless you wanted instant gratification and then turned around and went somewhere else.

He was easy enough to avoid, so no big drama, nobody else seemed to notice or be particularly worried so carried on.

On that ride, I noticed Eric was running with a GoPro mounted on the stem. Thought that was a neat idea. I've not yet hooked that up but did get the right mount for my camera. Doesn't help if you get hit from behind, but better than nothing.

Anyone else using a camera like that?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Love the idea of throwing the keys in the bushes! Always dreamed of doing that! Another one is to take off a tyre dust cap, put a little stone in there, screw it back on, ride off into the sunset to the sound of his tyre slowly losing air.... Probably terrible legal implications though, so best not!

I don't have much trouble with motorists but on the odd run in, I second the advice about a photo of the face and number plate.

If you are going to get into a slinging match, use your native tongue. Great if it's English. Even better if it's Flemish!

And if it goes all the way to handbags, be sure to take your shoes and oakleys off first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRTlStScolw

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Yelling at the driver is my first desire, but I've learned that does little if nothing, and you could get yourself run over for your trouble, yeah you might be right, but being dead right would suck.

Now I take pictures of the vehicle and the driver this usually really makes them angry, especially if they are driving a company car. If they do something really stupid I get my wife to call the company, with the time of day, the car number etc and what happened. We don't yell or threaten, we explain that if we had an employee driving a company car in such a dangerous manner we would really appreciate a phone call telling us about it. I figure if more of us did this, then maybe if someone is a really bad/dangerous driver and their boss keeps getting calls about them, they could end up driving a desk all day instead.

Sep 2, 2009
Taking photos is the best thing EVER.

They HATE it (which makes me love it even more).

It is like the petulant child switch goes off in their brain, and they revert to Elementary school.

You should all do this as much as possible.

Phil

Maximum Pace
Now I take pictures of the vehicle and the driver this usually really makes them angry, especially if they are driving a company car. If they do something really stupid I get my wife to call the company, with the time of day, the car number etc and what happened.
I'd say this is incredibly effective in Japan, but it's a heavy cudgel best used carefully. A moment's idiocy is not always deserving a loss of a job...

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
I'd say this is incredibly effective in Japan, but it's a heavy cudgel best used carefully. A moment's idiocy is not always deserving a loss of a job...
.... or a the loss of a life.....

If it is a rare occurrence, I very much doubt that someone would loose their job because some lady called the company and said "your employee driving the white car license #XYZ-123 drove dangerously on main street at noon today", but, if it was the 10th such phone call in the last month, well then maybe the employee would be disciplined...? I cannot see any company firing someone for a "Moment's idiocy" that resulted in only a phone call from a concerned cyclist. :)

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
.... or a the loss of a life.....

If it is a rare occurrence, I very much doubt that someone would loose their job because some lady called the company and said "your employee driving the white car license #XYZ-123 drove dangerously on main street at noon today", but, if it was the 10th such phone call in the last month, well then maybe the employee would be disciplined...? I cannot see any company firing someone for a "Moment's idiocy" that resulted in only a phone call from a concerned cyclist. :)
Yes, Japan needs one of those `report my driving / how`s my driving` initiatives. Trouble is, with the lack of vehicle driving ability in this country, the phone lines would be endlessly crashing...

Phil

Maximum Pace
If it is a rare occurrence, I very much doubt that someone would loose their job because some lady called the company and said "your employee driving the white car license #XYZ-123 drove dangerously on main street at noon today", but, if it was the 10th such phone call in the last month, well then maybe the employee would be disciplined...?
Yeah, I didn't mean to disagree, just pointing out that such actions can have repercussions (which I know you know, but still...)

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Yes, Japan needs one of those `report my driving / how`s my driving` initiatives. Trouble is, with the lack of vehicle driving ability in this country, the phone lines would be endlessly crashing...
Actually I find Tokyo drivers to be rather good, much better than the hell I lived in while doing my daily 30+ Km commute in Vancouver BC Canada, MUCH better!

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Any inner city is riding hell! Rome, Paris, London.......just can't understand why anyone would want to ride or train under those conditions..... and this is coming from someone that commuted to Tokyo from Yokohama daily on Route 246.

timdesuyo

Speeding Up
Mar 29, 2010
Tokyo
Another one is to take off a tyre dust cap, put a little stone in there, screw it back on, ride off into the sunset to the sound of his tyre slowly losing air.... Probably terrible legal implications though, so best not!
Why not just bend over and cut the valve stem with a small pair of bolt cutters? faster, less noticeable, and probably equally as terrible legal implications :D

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
I saw a great crash today, I know that sounds odd, but bear with me :D

I was down at the Hanozono shrine in Shinjuku with the trailer picking up 5 empty beer kegs and other assorted bit from a customer there, on the way back I headed up Meiji dori to Yasukuni dori and made a left going back to my L shop, as I was riding along two host guys in full regalia on electric small wheeled mamachari went weaving in and out of traffic and around pedestrians, one was smoking in front and the other was smoking and talking on his cell, after they turned on to Yasukuni dori heading East, like me, they came up to the corner with Park Isetan and Starbuck, near the Y's Custom shop. The light was red, but the lead guy cut through all the people walking through the crosswalk, without slowing down his buddy right on this wheel, then he stopped suddenly as there was a big truck going across his path. His buddy, talking on the cell had just taken his hand off the handle bar to take a drag on his smoke, and he crashed right into the back of the first guy :eek: They went flying arse over tea kettle and both landed in a heap, fortunately for them they were not going fast, but still, there were scraped knees, bloody hands, and a smashed cell phone. I stopped and was about to get off my bike to see if they were OK, when the first guy leaped on to the second guy and started beating the snot out of him, then the host skinny goof fight was on :D it was like watching two scarecrows flailing away at each other.Neither guy was seriously injured, from what I could see from the crash, and neither seemed to be landing any real punches, more like a slap fight. Cars and taxis were stopped, people were yelling and the cops across the street at the Koban were on their way. I just shook my head, and as the light was now green, carried on home.... stupid guys lucky they did not get hit by a truck or taxi.