What's new

Today December 2023

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Only one month left in the year.

Tomorrow I'll be attending the year end party (bonenkai) of my randonneuring club. We'll be talking about the adventures of the past year (Paris-Brest-Paris for some members) and plans for next year (I'll probably join the Trace team again).

Winter has finally arrived. During that season I usually make the most of the three peninsulas near Tokyo: Boso, Miura und Izu.

What are your plans for December? This is your monthly thread! :)

Seems colder around the peninsulas Joe, but I can imagine there is less traffic and the views are still incredible. I don't have anything special planned, but I am thinking that this Winter might be the time to spend time on the trainer indoors and just build up as much endurance as possible. Earlier I enjoyed adapting to riding in the cold, but since I dont have any events planned that require riding in the cold in at least a year I'll do something more beneficial.

Been a barren few months due to life getting in the way. Managed to get my running goal in for the year, but the cycling one looks like a bit too far for me. Got to average around 35kms per day for the next 30 days to come crawling over the line. The goal was 1000km more than last year, but things took a turn so let's see how it all goes.

Seems colder around the peninsulas Joe, but I can imagine there is less traffic and the views are still incredible.
Tokyo and other cities on the coast are heat islands so they're always warmer, but compared to the inland portions of the Kanto plain, the three peninsulas have milder winters due to the moderating effect of the ocean and the low elevation. In Izu if you stay on the coastal road you'll always be below 300 m, while in Miura and Boso even the hills aren't that high. Any place that grows mikan tends to have mild winters.

1000017383.jpg
The Bonenkai of AJ Nishitokyo today was nice. I rejoined the Trace ride team (last March weekend), route to be determined.

Several club members had participated in Paris-Brest-Paris 2023 and talked about their adventures.

At the AJ NishiTokyo Bonenkai on Saturday I also found out that the new Brevet schedule for next year is out: 2024年のAJ西東京主催ブルベ

There will be 8 events of between 200 km and 600 km in distance for the coming year, signup is via Sportsentry.

There are several other randonneuring clubs in the Kanto area, such as AJ Kanagawa, Randonneurs Tokyo, Audax Saitama, etc. Audax Japan maintains a list on their website.

Managed to get out and ride up the Edogawa River and enjoy the beautiful weather for the first time in 4 weeks since I fractured my wrist and ribs.I wore a brace on my left wrist without too much trouble apart from the limited hand positions on the bars.Did about 60KM so I am more than happy.This weather is absolutely spot on for riding.

Managed to get out and ride up the Edogawa River and enjoy the beautiful weather for the first time in 4 weeks since I fractured my wrist and ribs.I wore a brace on my left wrist without too much trouble apart from the limited hand positions on the bars.Did about 60KM so I am more than happy.This weather is absolutely spot on for riding.

I too am off the bike with a broken wrist and ribs. 2 weeks in, I've been walking lots and doing leg machines at the gym.

Today was a beautiful day to ride. I had a couple of beers early doors to help me resist the urge!

Andy

I too am off the bike with a broken wrist and ribs. 2 weeks in, I've been walking lots and doing leg machines at the gym.

Today was a beautiful day to ride. I had a couple of beers early doors to help me resist the urge!

Andy
Andy,

Hang in there, mate.

You will be right as rain sooner than you think.

The difference from being 2 weeks in and 4 weeks in is night and day.

Like nearly everything.....it suddenly happens.

I could roll over in bed without screaming,I could lift a cup of coffee to my my lips without grimacing.

You will be back in the saddle before Christmas with a bit of luck.

Forget to say. If you have access to a 3D printer, fablab have wrist supports.

Screenshot_20231202-103649_Chrome.jpg

You can mould them to the shape of your arm with the heat of a hairdryer and wash them and the bandage strapping after each workout.

Edit: this is good for my stage of injury (used in place of a half cast supplied by the hospital) but probably not necessary after the break is healed.

Andy

Last edited:
Forget to say. If you have access to a 3D printer, fablab have wrist supports.

View attachment 39966

You can mould them to the shape of your arm with the heat of a hairdryer and wash them and the bandage strapping after each workout.

Edit: this is good for my stage of injury (used in place of a half cast supplied by the hospital) but probably not necessary after the break is healed.

Andy

Awesome......I had to pay the extortionate price for mine at the orthopedic clinic near to where I live.
Looks like a great product.

Awesome......I had to pay the extortionate price for mine at the orthopedic clinic near to where I live.
Looks like a great product.

Yeah Fablab are great.

Even without a 3D printer and the specific heat sensitive filament, you can get them made up for you if you contact them with your arm dimensions like this:

20231204_134209.jpg

For anybody else, it's worth browsing through their catologue. These are therapeutic devices but cyclists can make use of some of them.

This simple "Zipp puller" for example can bring an old jersey with a broken zipper tab back to life.

I think I have 3 jerseys reborn with this device!

Andy

Amazon US has marked down the Garmin 1030 plus, so that it is only about $20 dollars more than the Garmin Explorer 2. I don't really need all the bells and whistles of the 1030. As @Half-Fast Mike mentioned, all the extra stuff can be annoying. As an 'toshi ue' person, I think I'd prefer the simplicity of the Explorer. It has good navigation and larger screen than my 530, plus touch screen. OTOH, 1030 has a larger screen so navigation, especially on the trails I tend to go on, would be better. Given they are nearly the same price, it would seem to be a no brainer to get the 1030 plus except for my fear that I'll be dealing with TMI (the Garmin getting annoying by trying to give (force) too many options and/or TMI on me). Any suggestions?

Off to Tokorozawa on Saturday for a week or so to take care of daughter's place while she is in the USA.Thinking of taking a ride around Lake Sayama and its environs.Any recommendations?

Reactions: jdd
Off to Tokorozawa on Saturday for a week or so to take care of daughter's place while she is in the USA.Thinking of taking a ride around Lake Sayama and its environs.Any recommendations?
If you are up for about a 100km ride, I'd suggest getting to Arakawa and heading to the Bay on the right bank (Tokyo side) of the river. Other than 1 traffic signal at about the 37km marker there is almost nothing stopping you from doing the full trip without being forced to stop. Weekends are busy though so don't expect to set any PRs.

Reactions: PAK
Back
Top Bottom