What's new

Today December 2022

I ride in the dark and cold more than during the day.
Last night was full fleece bibs and some nice winter shoes.
I wasn't 'toasty' - but I was also far from cold.
It is worth it to me for less traffic and some quiet.
Is it snowing there yet? We had snow flurries last night and 0 temps here. No wind and I was walking to the store at 11pm. No bike riding though. Evening was so peaceful.

Is it snowing there yet? We had snow flurries last night and 0 temps here. No wind and I was walking to the store at 11pm. No bike riding though. Evening was so peaceful.
Nope!
We don't get snow very often. Maybe a flurry once or twice a year and some accumulation every other year. Even then, I don't think I recall anything recently as bad as 2013 (maybe) when I lived in Chinatown.

1891337_10152162871022808_1844149249_o.jpg

Nope!
We don't get snow very often. Maybe a flurry once or twice a year and some accumulation every other year. Even then, I don't think I recall anything recently as bad as 2013 (maybe) when I lived in Chinatown.

View attachment 37021
I want to visit China Town when I cycle up north again. It must have some of the best restaurants in Japan I bet. Nice picture. Thanks for posting.

I want to visit China Town when I cycle up north again. It must have some of the best restaurants in Japan I bet. Nice picture. Thanks for posting.
Chinatown has some great and horrible restarants.
This one is my personal favorite. Toki

Went up the Edogawa River today.Not too many cyclists out and about thankfully.
Went up to Yoshikawa to check out a new hammock I have,didn't hang around too long because of the temperature.On the way back there were tons of cyclists heading upriver.Seems the nippy weather keeps everyone in their warm beds longer than normal.

When I went up the river on Wednesday my place was bathed in brilliant sunlight and blue sky yet within 8KM I hit a wall of freezing fog where not only the visibility plummeted but so did the temperature.It was incredible......the first time I have ever experienced it.
I went from wearing a t-shirt to being freezing in a matter of seconds.

Anyone know if there is a way to upload a route from Strava to Zwift? Would like to upload the Fuji Hill Climb course. Far as I can tell right now, it isn't possible.

think Zwift doesn't do user custom courses? Not real life ones at least. Maybe you're thinking of Rouvy.

Incidentally they got a discount going on right now. 12 months for the price of 8.

I was kinda interested in them for a while but GDPR basically killed user generated route video. You can still do virtual rides by uploading your gpx etc.

Edit 2: also available on RGT as 'magic roads'

Last edited:
Anyone know if there is a way to upload a route from Strava to Zwift? Would like to upload the Fuji Hill Climb course. Far as I can tell right now, it isn't possible.
not possible on zwift, but im pretty sure it was possible on the tacx app. possibly, you can do the same on the wahoo app (or other thrid part app options).
that said, id say ADZ is a good option on zwift already... slightly shorter, but also steeper than the mt fuji course

not possible on zwift, but im pretty sure it was possible on the tacx app. possibly, you can do the same on the wahoo app (or other thrid part app options).
that said, id say ADZ is a good option on zwift already... slightly shorter, but also steeper than the mt fuji course
In March a FHC training group starts on Zwift. It uses ADZ as the route for training. Would be cool though if I could load the actual route and get the real gradients and distance. Might help with pacing.

In March a FHC training group starts on Zwift. It uses ADZ as the route for training. Would be cool though if I could load the actual route and get the real gradients and distance. Might help with pacing.
Except it will never be the same.
On the trainer you are isolating to legs 100%.
On the bike, you are moving the bike side to side and using some upper body.
Add in the factors of fresh air, wind, etc...
I understand trying to get close, but it will never be the same.

also, mt fuji is, for most of the time, almost a "false flat". so id say that training on adz to keep a steady power output while being low on the bike (the more aero you can comfortably sustain) is a very good way to practice

I just spent 2 weeks back in Australia, including a week in Brisbane with a rental bike.

Joined a local group for a massive 130km, 1250m ride the first day hitting 80km/hr on the downhill, overheated the rims and popped a tube right at the end (thankfully) of the downhill. Could have ended badly. Amazing city for cycling and shows what decent infrastructure can achieve although the work life balance is totally different from Japan.

The thing I realised was how much fitter everyone seemed as they all seem to get out at 5:30am, ride 40km by 7am, stop at a cafe then head home to get ready for work. People out exercising everywhere early morning & evening, as well as good commute lanes for bikes. Tempted that if I moved back I know where I will be living.

First ride since I got back was an easy route up to Kawagoe for coffee & back with a Japanese friend that is a speedster & mountain goat, so the pace was decent up & back. Bike was filthy afterwards as we had rain the night before. What I struggled with was dressing appropriately to be warm without sweating through my base layer without then freezing. Think next few rides will take a saddlebag with extra base layer, room to stash jersey or jacket depending on what I overdressed or underdressed for.

Is the riding year done...? :mad::( Snow here, yesterday and today, that'll take a break for some rain, then more snow 23rd-25th.

Went for a walk instead, not deep enough for snowshoes yet, but nice out there.

View attachment 37023

View attachment 37024
That seems perfectly ridable to me. I'd love to take my mountain bike along that route with my kids in tow. 😍

Last edited:
Whelp, no injuries yet, but some excess vitamin d has my skin glowing. Another 48 hours in Saipan, then back to reality!

Just been up the Edogawa River
No wind going up and a lovely tailwind on the way home.
Cycling Nirvana.
Couldn't help but enjoy the Schadenfreude on the way home even though it is Christmas,lol.

Reactions: jdd
I have been home three days and have not touched the bikes...
Megan has been feeling a bit off and I have been entertaining the kiddos 24/7.
I still have a ways to go to hit my goal miles for the year, but only 5 days to do it.
8100km is the goal... I am at 7840.

Hopefully I can find the motivation to knock it out.
I woke up early this morning to ride, but more than riding, I needed some alone time in the quiet.
So I am sitting here drinking coffee, looking at the mess my kids created and just taking it in.

@bloaker,

"Hopefully I can find the motivation to knock it out."

I hear you,my friend.
The kids at home wanting to play with dad.The weather more than a tad nippy early doors.
The feeling of guilt sodding off alone during the festive season while at the same time kind of deserting the ship,is a hard one.
Been there and done that......never felt good about it either way.

Back
Top Bottom