What's new

Today December 2021

My Ibis is a HIGH end Carbon full suspension with a threaded BB. The frame retails for about $4,000USD. In japan is it more.
My old Santa Cruz that I sold was also carbon with a threaded BB. The frame was the "C" model and retail for about $3,000usd.

I have heard the arguments for pressfit - and I will still buy threaded until probably forever with all things being equal.
I have the tools to work on both and have worked on both.
I have never experienced an issue with creaking ever with threaded. Ever.
I have replaced several BBs (one my Niner Jet9 Rdo carbon full suspension) and several friends road bikes.
Yes, you have to take the time to clean everything thoroughly and yes, you can take you time pressing them in.
I have been lucky in that only one bike had a creak right out of my house. We pulled, cleaned, reinstalled, & it creaked.
I took 3 attempts then sent him on his way to a shop to resolve it because clearly I was failing.
The shop also failed on an additional 2 attempts to shut it up. Another new set of bearing was put in the bike and the issue continued.
Another shop tried as well. Three sets of hands. 2 sets of bearing. The only thing constant was the frame.
I ended up helping him order the correct Praxxis BB30/PF30 conversion kit. That finally solved it.... with threads.

I am sure pressfit has come a long way in the last 10 years, but it is still improving.
BUT - while the frames improve, the only upgrade I can get is replacing my frame to get an advantage.
If a new threaded BB comes out that is better than my CKs - I can buy it and thread it right on in... upgrade complete!

And to be fair - I have never not won a race, not cleared a hill, or not accomplished my goal due to my bottom bracket type.
I have however failed to enjoy a ride due to a creaking bottom bracket.

Just to be clear: I am mostly concerned about lackluster manufacturing tolerances rearing their head in other places (like the seat post). A threaded BB on a carbon frame is IMHO just a canary in the coal mine.

This morning I was reminded of the difference between my rim brakes and disc brakes.
I took off in the rain down the 8% hill from my house toward Kamakura...
Went to scrub some speed and..... nothing.
I gripped down a bit harder and the bike started to slow... the moment I touched the cross walk, the rear kicked a bit, but I needed to stay on the brakes for the next sharp corner and could not risk gaining speed at this point.
Once I was at a happy pace, I kept the brakes lightly applied to keep the brake track somewhat less wet.

As I pedaled along the flat road after the descent, I realized how less stressed I was last time in the rain on the Sage.

In dry conditions I have almost no preference between my disc and rim brakes. But this morning was a good reminder of the difference a little water can make.

So far, I have been able to avoid disc brakes since I don't ride fast enough to really need them and I avoid riding in the rain. I can see the big advantage of them for stopping power, modulation and allowing larger tire sizes. But when I watch GCN or other biking videos (where I assume the mechs have properly set up the disc brakes), I often notice the noise they make after they have gotten wet or gone through the mud. Sometimes a group of riders with disc brakes sounds like a flock of geese going over. Any noise on a bike makes me crazy, but the industry has largely moved on from rim brakes, so guess I'll have to join the flock with my next bike. I'm sure I'll like them but wish I had a choice in the matter.

This morning I was reminded of the difference between my rim brakes and disc brakes.
I took off in the rain down the 8% hill from my house toward Kamakura...
Went to scrub some speed and..... nothing.
Feeling comfortable and secure on your bike is supremely important.

Reminds me of the last proper road race I did in the pouring rain. I was one of the few people on disc brakes and wide 28 mm tires. My neighbor on the starting line had his nice carbon rim brake wheelset with 23 mm (!) tires on it. Pumped up to some ungodly pressure I am sure. Never felt uncomfortable, unlike my competitors, many of whom were sweating buckets according to the after-race chit-chat.
I often notice the noise they make after they have gotten wet or gone through the mud.
I should perhaps ask my team mates to sell his Enve rims to @bloaker then and get some quiet aluminum box section rims instead ;) Every time he brakes, his rims start singing (explanation: the Enve's have a periodically patterned brake track). I can even relate the pitch to his speed, which is kinda nice when he is behind me. Although I reckon his brake track would be quieter when wet … but that isn't necessarily a good thing, especially if he's behind me.

Other than that, stop worrying about brake choice. Disc brakes enabled so many improvements on drop bar bikes (e. g. adoption of wider tires, frame sets that accept 700c and 650b wheels, more varied geometry, etc.), and there is good reason why the industry is moving on for almost all bikes.

So far, I have been able to avoid disc brakes since I don't ride fast enough to really need them and I avoid riding in the rain.
If you avoid riding in the rain, you'll miss a lot of rainbows :)

I love disk brakes and it's got nothing to do with speed. I needed only one descent from the top of Norikura in the rain to be sold on disk brakes. Staying as safe as possible in the rain is important to me. Hydraulic brakes in particular, with their very light lever action, are so easy to use on long cold descents.

I can do a lot more long rides when part of the weather forecast is questionable than if I tried to always stay dry. A friend of mine who is also a randonneur will never ride if there's rain, even if only for an hour. I can't remember just how many events he abandoned or didn't show up for because of that.

The only real drawback for me is that you have to stay alert when to replace the pads due to wear. With self-adjusting hydraulic brakes, action remains perfect for thousands of km until suddenly you get a lot of lever travel and very little action. You can't wait until that point. Rim brakes are a bit more predictable in that regard: They can degrade very gradually from good to mediocre to terrible. The only sudden change is from dry to wet.

I often notice the noise they make after they have gotten wet or gone through the mud.
Do you have a bell on your bike? With disk brakes, you may have an alternative! :D

For rim brake noise, I find expensive SRAM pads to be very quiet. Cheaper compatible pads (at 1/5 the cost) have similar performance and last much longer. The only disadvantage is they are noisy when wet.

Andy

If you avoid riding in the rain, you'll miss a lot of rainbows
Soooo true!
Hydraulic brakes in particular, with their very light lever action, are so easy to use on long cold descents.
I think this is important: I actually have ridden hydraulic rim brakes and my mom's old bike has some. They are a marked improvement over mechanically actuated rim brakes. Less force is necessary and you have better brake action. Brakes are self-adjusting for wear.

My mom's brakes haven't been bled once in something like 13 years. Yes, she only rode to work and back, so nothing of the order of what we do here.
I needed only one descent from the top of Norikura in the rain to be sold on disk brakes. Staying as safe as possible in the rain is important to me. Hydraulic brakes in particular, with their very light lever action, are so easy to use on long cold descents.
Anyone who rides over long distances has to prepare for the eventuality of rain. Especially in the mountains the weather can change quickly and drastically. And if you don't trust your gear completely, it is no bueno.
They can degrade very gradually from good to mediocre to terrible. The only sudden change is from dry to wet.
That and the brake pads are immediately visible. You need to remove brake pads to inspect them for wear. I am usually quite diligent, but it even happened to me once that I realized on a ride that my brake pads were worn through. But this was once in over 15 years of riding with disc brakes. (Riding with misaligned rim brakes was much more common for me.)

Last edited:
For rim brake noise, I find expensive SRAM pads to be very quiet. Cheaper compatible pads (at 1/5 the cost) have similar performance and last much longer.
It seems roadies are much more obsessed about some noises. I understand you don't want tinging brake rotors in the same way you don't want rubbing rim brake pads.

But when you brake some noise is ok in the same way that when I stop pedaling, I hear my freehub ticking along*. Since mountain bikers spend more time in grimy conditions and the brakes collect dust or mud, they tend to be noisier. But they still work perfectly and as expected! :)

* It seems there are "good" noises like freehubs or the aforementioned musical brake tracks of my buddy's Enve wheels. If I could choose, I'd want silent freehubs like Shimano's new mountain bike freehubs.
The only disadvantage is they are noisy when wet.
I don't have any first-hand experience here, but I think very often with carbon rims you are supposed to use brake pads from the wheel set manufacturer.

Two things here: it seems roadies are much more obsesses about some noises. I understand you don't want tinging brake rotors in the same way you don't want rubbing rim brake pads.

But when you brake some noise is ok in the same way that when I stop pedaling, I hear my freehub ticking along*. Since mountain bikers spend more time in grimy conditions and the brakes collect dust or mud, they tend to be noisier. But they still work! :)

* It seems there are "good" noises like freehubs or the aforementioned musical brake tracks of my buddy's Enve wheels. If I could choose, I'd want silent freehubs like Shimano's new mountain bike freehubs.

I don't mind the noise at all. Reminds me to be careful on descents. Always ride with a bear bell anyway!

Andy

I used to commute, rain or shine, and on one section on a steep-ish downhill, I wanted more stopping power than my rim brakes gave me. So, being able to stop on a downhill in the rain with disc brakes is a definite big plus. And not having to deflate/reinflate my tire when I need to remove and reinstall it on my bike when I use the trains, will be another big plus. So, I certainly see the advantages of discs.

Maybe it has to do with getting older, or maybe it is my OCD-ishness, but noises bother the heck out of me, especially noises I think I should be able to eliminate with good mech skills. But, @OreoCookie makes a good point about why it is that freehub noise doesn't bother people (much) but the 'honking' of disc brakes does. Have to think about that one.

Maybe it has to do with getting older, or maybe it is my OCD-ishness, but noises bother the heck out of me, especially noises I think I should be able to eliminate with good mech skills.
One thought came to my mind: you mentioned GCN. They live in a country with lots of rain and mud on the road. These are prime conditions when disc brakes gets noisier. Also road grime could be an issue, you should clean the rotors and pads regularly with rubbing alcohol. (I usually do this when I wash my bike.)

My disc brakes on my road bikes have been relatively quiet. With my mountain bike it depends a lot on the condition of the trails and route that I take. Also, on a mountain bike you tend to grab a handful of brakes much more often than on a road bike.

I can think of one other place where you might make a trade-off between functionality and noise: drivetrain lubrication. I prefer waxing my chains, mostly because then my daughter doesn't stain her clothing, because she touches my chain or cassette. And it lasts if you mostly ride indoors. But the drive train does get a little noisier than if you used lube.
But, @OreoCookie makes a good point about why it is that freehub noise doesn't bother people (much) but the 'honking' of disc brakes does. Have to think about that one.
It's weird how some people pick their freehubs by noise. I don't get it. I'm not allergic to freehub noise and I realize that squealing can make some people's hair stand. But having a strong affection seems weird to me. But whatever floats your boat. :)

Blasphemy!!!
Chris King & I9 will forever sound like a symphony!
If you want silent, pedal fast enough to keep up with your freehub!

It's weird how some people pick their freehubs by noise. I don't get it. I'm not allergic to freehub noise and I realize that squealing can make some people's hair stand. But having a strong affection seems weird to me. But whatever floats your boat. :)
I pick my hubs by color. ;)
CK, i9, and Hope give me lots of choices!

It seems to be a roadie thing for use in races. I heard it said that loud freehub ratchets are meant to alert the guy in front of you to your presence so he sticks to his line and doesn't swerve as you pass him, which would endanger both of you.

It reminds me of those boy racer cars that have a metal ring under the front bumper where the car can be towed. I was told that was a requirement on some race tracks so a car can be removed if immobilized in a crash. Having this ring there is supposed to show to other track racers that you're one too (even if you almost never take the car to the track).

So whether you need these features or not, they are also a status thing in a racing-centric subculture, at least here in Japan.

Or -
High engagement hubs from CK, I9, DT, etc make more noise than the lower engagement hubs from Shimano, Sram and others?

Onyx makes a high engagement hub that is virtually silent, but it is ridiculously heavy for the price tag.

I needed only one descent from the top of Norikura in the rain to be sold on disk brakes.
hahahaha this is exactly what happened to me too! I think it was in summer 2016. a month or two later, I got my first disk bike. a 2nd hand mid-range cyclocross bike with mechanical disks, that I mostly used for commuting until I got my Lynkey 2 years ago. it is now a bike for chores nearby ;)

Or -
High engagement hubs from CK, I9, DT, etc make more noise than the lower engagement hubs from Shimano, Sram and others?

Onyx makes a high engagement hub that is virtually silent, but it is ridiculously heavy for the price tag.
Right, but aren't high engagement hubs a race thing too? This is about how far you have to turn the cassette and hence the pedals for the ratchet to engage, i.e. how quickly you can go from freewheeling to accelerating. I wonder how many people who are not racing even think about that.

Back
Top Bottom