What's new

Today December 2020

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Wouldn't you have to make sure the driveway can dry out before the night? If it stays wet and then the temperature dips below zero at night, that would not be a good combination (unless you keep the pump running full time to keep supplying above zero ground water).

Like I say it rarely goes below freezing and as it is usually snowing constantly the sprinklers pretty much stay on.

Niigata's snow clearance policy is based on sprinkler networks and snow ploughing.

The pipes aren't everywhere so some roads and even sections of road rely only on snow ploughs.

Only on a cloudless night do they have to put salt down, which is rare.

Andy

images (14).jpeg images (12).jpeg
images (13).jpeg

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Not much snow this morning, the road has just a thin compact cover.
20201231_075345.jpg

The slushy stuff is due to the groundwater runoff from our driveway.

20201231_075356.jpg

The sprinklers are actually off now.

20201231_075405.jpg

Their timing is controlled by this. If I want them to come on I can attack it with snow!

20201231_075420.jpg

The forecast is snow and a constant zero degrees all day. Here the front door is kept clear and no ice to be seen.

20201231_075610.jpg

How the system deals with a few days of heavy snow will be apparent from today!

Andy

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Yeah, it's almost always melting off the bottom, adding some less-than-freezing water hurries that up.

And being really wet, that keeps it from "sticking"--unless it's coming down heavy and the process gets overloaded. (or some sprinklers are funky/clogged, etc)

In some places the sprinklers are overly 'genki', kind of carwash-like. If you're driving you need to be aware/ready for wet windows. Or in those spots if you've left a window or two cracked open...

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
the wind on arakawa has been howling around my building the whole night. it's now down to some 4-5 m/s, from sustained 7-8 m/s during the night, but I still don't envy in the least anyone cycling north today. going south, you can probably maintain 40km/h without even trying tho... anyways, wishing everyone a happy new year (tho a rationalist in me sees nothing but extension of the current one into further bad territory)

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, it's almost always melting off the bottom, adding some less-than-freezing water hurries that up.

And being really wet, that keeps it from "sticking"--unless it's coming down heavy and the process gets overloaded. (or some sprinklers are funky/clogged, etc)

In some places the sprinklers are overly 'genki', kind of carwash-like. If you're driving you need to be aware/ready for wet windows. Or in those spots if you've left a window or two cracked open...

Yeah I've lost count of the times I've been caught out on my bike as they test them out late autumn, early winter.

Here's two sections of the same road national R252 on the way to snow shoe this morning. A few hundred metres apart. The sprinkler section is much easier to negotiate, especially in the wind.

Andy

20201231_101221.jpg 20201231_101306.jpg

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
As a send-off to 2020, and full of hope for a better 2021, I conducted a solo recce of the Yamanote Loop route. I plan to lead a Half-Fast ride tomorrow on the same route. We do this every year on 1st January.

Not much has changed since 1st January 2020, except that the security guards at Tokyo University won't let anyone through the gate unless they are students or staff, "because corona". Oh well... it's private property so I guess they're within their rights to spoil my fun. Just a couple of other adjustments needed due to construction work.

PhotosSnap 001.jpg

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
So just an update - I was able to schedule an appt - but Jan 5th is the date.
While things have more or less been improving since the initial injury - they have gone notably downhill the past 2 days.
I did not even attempt to get the 7km on the road bike and I am now limiting my walking.
My foot, ankle and halfway up my shin have swollen siginificantly (most likely from fluid draining),

I am trying desperately to wrap my head around no riding until spring as I suspect that will be the outcome surgery or not.

I will post an update after my appointment and I suspect I will be a trainer hero for a bit before I get out on the roads and even longer before I attemp another trail ride.

looking forward to just having a plan for recovery.

pedalist

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2015
Happy New Year Japan! (well almost)

This morning I squeezed in a quick Year End Ride and found my first snow of this winter.
It was a good ending of an unsual year. Now I'm looking forward to an relaxed New Years Eve.

2020-12-31 mtb snow grunewald.jpg

@bloaker I hope things will turn out somehow alright for you.

Cactaur

Maximum Pace
Feb 3, 2014
Finally sorted the install of my sks fenders. Bike shops are totally justified in how much they charge for install. Can only imagine how much more doing alu ones would be.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
@bloaker sorry to read that, I was hoping it was a sprain but looks like you are going to get a newer and stronger ACL after a few weeks rehab. My rugby mate in his late 40s did his a year ago and is back at top speed this fall. chin up, could be worse.
Did you do anything last weekend to trigger it?

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
found this pic the other day. this was a 202km race that I did on a SS CX with skinny road tires.
So the photographer wanted an uphill section where speeds were low for better shots. But my head thought better snots. I'm standing on the pedals in one tall gear mashing up a slightly steep hill with both hands on the bars and the shutter clicks and this was the result. Enjoy!!!! sayonara 2020 youc_ntofayear raw-GRDG0034.jpg

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
@bloaker sorry to read that, I was hoping it was a sprain but looks like you are going to get a newer and stronger ACL after a few weeks rehab. My rugby mate in his late 40s did his a year ago and is back at top speed this fall. chin up, could be worse.
Did you do anything last weekend to trigger it?
I did some trail work and was very cautious with it. It did not start the extra pain until 2 days later. I think I may have rolled over or something in my sleep and maybe my lower leg did a quick freefall off the bed or something. I am just miffed/bummed over this whole ordeal.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
I am just miffed/bummed over this whole ordeal.
like me you are not a patient patient.
In just 4 days on Tuesday you will start getting over the whole ordeal with a diagnosis and a plan to treat it.
How is the lower leg inflammation ?
You should probably have a brace on it. You can buy one at any drugstore in japan. Take some Ibuprofen and elevate the foot. You don't like drugs but to needlessly suffer is silly.
Ask your kids to give you some slack this holiday period as your leg hurts and feel free to roll into a ball of self pity with your bad leg elevated. 4 days mate, hang in there.

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
like me you are not a patient patient.
In just 4 days on Tuesday you will start getting over the whole ordeal with a diagnosis and a plan to treat it.
How is the lower leg inflammation ?
You should probably have a brace on it. You can buy one at any drugstore in japan. Take some Ibuprofen and elevate the foot. You don't like drugs but to needlessly suffer is silly.
Ask your kids to give you some slack this holiday period as your leg hurts and feel free to roll into a ball of self pity with your bad leg elevated. 4 days mate, hang in there.
The knee brace has been on more than it has been off since day 1. I have a brace left over from an incident last year to the other knee.

I have been concerned with compartmental syndrome, so I have kept a close eye on the swelling. Luckily this morning it hasgone down significantly. Since I got home from work yesterday I have been on the couch or bed most of the time. I hate it and i feel lethargic now with no exercise, but i am counting down the days.

Top Bottom