What's new

Today Dec 2019

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
I started the Nov thread hoping for better riding conditions than the typhoon-devastated Oct. and it was much better for the first two weeks, but then rain and cold set in and I ended up with a similar monthly distance in the end. don't remember Nov being this wet in recent years, usually it's the best time to ride. looking at my total annual distances for the past 3 years, looks like I'm settling down to about 8,000 km per year or so, down from about 13,000 I did in my "prime time". most of it is commuting nowadays too. I guess life has imperceptibly taken precedence to cycling somewhere along the line. unacceptable, I know ;)

and @Karl about the GRX, it's a no brainer for me. I'm used to shimano, got all the tools, know how to find and read all the manuals etc. and makes most sense in Japan in terms of serviceability and so on. hydraulic brakes work wonderfully, fully self-adjusting. not just in terms of piston protrusion, but also seem to be able to shed all dirt and grime picked up from my daily riding and burn through it, without needing extra cleaning. paired with wider tires ran at lower pressures, I feel like I have a stopping power of a motorbike.

gearing was also perfect for the type of bike and riding I do. I sometimes outspin 48x11 at about 45km/h or thereabouts, which can happen with big tailwind or descends etc. but the setup is quick enough for keeping up with most road rides. then 31x34 can get me up almost anything, paved or not. and since I got 2 by, I got nice density of gears between those extremes, for the cadence and effort just as I want them always.

so esthetics, functionality, you name it. it does whatever I need it to, and I don't have to worry about interoperability etc issues. for me, on the gravel bike, it's perfect. in hindsight, it might have been better to try 165mm crank arms. 170mm wasn't immediately available, so I went for 172.5mm instead. but with rougher off road riding, almost a cm more of clearance down there was perhaps a better idea. can't say for sure, as it could mean disadvantages elsewhere tho...

as I don't want to spend any more time than I need to on researching, comparing, testing out different components etc. this was a real quick, comprehensive solution for the whole groupset. got me all I need right away, and I was able to ride the bike immediately. so totally fit what I needed, but I guess everyone should carefully evaluate their own needs. what do you have already (for me it was a blank slate new frameset), what is missing (for me, it was a complete groupset needed), where and how do you plan to ride it etc etc.

Thanks @luka I had some issues trying to get the gearing I wanted on my new bike and still use drop bars. Learned a lot, but on any new bike I get, I want to stay with a groupset that is designed for drop bars and avoid workarounds. Glad to hear you like the GRX. They look great, too.

Paint and stem details of the new frame all sorted out. I've given the painter the colors and asked him to surprise me. He said the colors I have chosen "can look great if done right" so I know that this multiple award winning artist will knock it out of the park. The primary color is an original mix not on any color charts so it really will be a one off. The painted stem will tie the controls to the bike quite nicely.
I just need to buy some skinnier bars and think about whether a color clashing saddle is a big issue when my big fat arse will cover it from view 99% of the time. And this will be the last bike I buy. I'll be selling a 2015 BMC Teammachine SLR01 frame set in the new year if anyone is interested.

Since it is unofficially, 'New-Bike-Week'....
Took the Ritchey out for the first real spin today after setting it up just like I wanted it. It was a total blast (does anyone besides me really say 'blast' anymore?) Finally went with more subdued bar tape and got the Sugino OX901 crankset with 30-44 chainrings and a Shimano 105 FD and RD. It rides like I hoped it would. Big smile on my face today.

IMG_0952.jpegIMG_0955.jpeg

BTW... @luka and @Half-Fast Mike ... If you ever feel like posting some feedback about the GRX groupset, I'm curious to know how you like it.
Only a couple km of riding so far, but I'll keep you posted.

My main problem on new bike is removing and installing the rear wheel. There doesn't seem to be enough clearance between the fender and the pulley cage to drop the wheel out vertically. If there's a knack to it, I haven't worked it out yet. I've written to Niner to ask for help.

(By unscrewing the derailleur) I did manage to mount my PowerTap wheel, which I want to continue to use. That worked well; the PowerTap hub came with interchangeable end caps for use with either 135 mm quick-release (old bike) or 142 mm ø15mm thruxle (new bike) and – remarkably – I kept them and was able to find them. Front wheel of old bike is QR-only, so I'll let that go with the CX frame if someone wants it, or hang onto it as a spare for commuter.

Bars look good in that color. The yellow was not subtle at all. Glad you had a blast. My mother said blast instead of bugger when we were young.
then this ad came on TV

For some reason this ad always reminded me of Footrot Flats, the zenith of Kiwi literature for mine (just pipping the Angel at My Table).

likewise Jolliffe's Outback was our stepping stone into The Thorn Birds. We got Footrot Flats in the paper but JO was a stocking filler. Jolliffe.png

likewise Jolliffe's Outback was our stepping stone into The Thorn Birds. We got Footrot Flats in the paper but JO was a stocking filler. View attachment 19188
Hahahaha! This reminds me of Australia Post magazines in the barber shop. Ken Maynard was another one. And Snake Tales. (Apologies for the non-cycling content. And Colleen McCulloch is a literary genius!)

VjDlKNFrQ_x28UoOu8UoNqHNItJofndAWViSF8oMWFtj0wihc8rCF_D1rXthaPNv3lextdbcB0ZaAn-Cy968ZlC9H4GwQyrHVDrIsjMnYqo9n8hGXJfq7Oum_DNv0fPEn7EtrMSmcke9hqlMnNBm7_90gUBJRr8wWMVY-BxRa_0ZRBz6wsp9CcP1TDvp_plLjaWeU0IV_sA9Qk9gKYDxwrin5yikMBKEJtW0l5qbQjmNMnRwVyh5cWqXIfpeFLUISzTi5B4FRNGAZV_4UqyHUqyX7MbCF3QmPwD_3k8wKxuFGI1xC2TEcsFmfMXKi9wAsFtlgTFWgcfi7LIslSDWO0IrbxwBq8UCKj5crWlvphjJqKgkUiBWaPgoZX2P_FPzslARws5SRkqiaHgVlCLcWTj6o_zE4rjjGk8KsYZV71MuXgj2VfqGV5b4q5QJl7oPLy_vr_7PucYh3V38Yp7rSTMQg6CGG1NI_PJT_YP8ifV4OiLrduweVpRTd1iyn8b9Ybs2fiOzptZuzn5u1EX4-QMmMGZWoYPlzpx0fvufBTRFliZFQjfWw6XRzEJXe8mHVelYjqTlg8oJmzsSmuBHYeYvdO_iu5cCJ6QLz8yKU3VMZInauOztqbJMSmknvJKGzxeggCgtkDI-AqOYvGY8Lbo66VZZ7_ufRgWlq3UFdS9ta5o7F2aKQ1lqV-pPuC6RGpCnMJJhfJqkU2UexUOQqftU3liqU6zf1cIi0NFCC-2cq0ZE=s800-no

I completed my Century A Month challenge (at least 160.9+ km in one ride) for 2019 by riding 170 km to Tomin no Mori and back on Dec 1. I was joined by a cousin of mine, whose longest ride previously was about 70 km. She hadn't done any significant cycling for the last couple of months, if you discount renting an ancient mamachari in Laos while visiting SE Asia, from where she headed to Japan to see us.

EdzwPzge1IkxsBWWqpsOK4YFKJ0rw2-KlpefHS1RRXRmIMNj02XALy5PAQAhRy7SkLVargJxTfz7Vv-z1eVW0f_OIinPxrJRDB_7BF513pcvc-eoS7TeGmVxX64UaUcgRB_rWHiw2xxMIszB1g0L0OmT2r8CovynRc9-rpdW7T0b-T5Vah798MPkLmKtiDDDrOOAU1O14st2amhcoVyu6mhl8BAzwsps5l20ad5STpm8zo_eZnMxyPIishC5h3AD7RPV30gorsTMB5rWS1Tjae_6NasGBsqnjP04I7BEufM4z_8VWmBDSkYI2bl1NIAFFWIRRsXIWZ68swFvP8SHZ5Rd-kR0kn1nFjvpX9be21tSAxarr-dJ6lSSvX8XuVxKw8c8Xp8KlpOcbwRyzGvr3mh6AiHWRzi4BHKJn5rZQEacRcQCHSHSZ9V1DisnOvDB4AXL5vRHhormgfrkIJ24FDjisFASFzqFE7VOniZPWeObfVaz_IeaTj34epVQkfJR4zLU1yGy5nvFNHt3MI-JhsJ07npd2RN5SjjUlnqOTCQsROBapcZJSz2O-d4yjh8QcNhxkxZRI4WYceTuM3x2aNxSW3Wn7S-f5Ta1SYrzgMvqdyLYCC6-yRYfUkzSy5YsjtxMYWjhMlGyILP4TLIa7vm5nx6R5ZwceD683tP87_JGLQH21N93XH8JJOy5W65Z74inkYsiFWOZyxTGu6ACyK4gm-wAJzHkSORsgwL0bktd55IC=s800-no

I decided to give her the Elephant NFE, re-equipped with flat pedals as she didn't have her SPD-shoes with her while I picked the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. The pace was about 10 W lower average than what I usually do on my own, but that was enough to allow her to add another 100 km to her previously longest ride from a virtual standstill.

bjY8Sl9_nNPTWXkCfpAsaL0Qv-nYNxdbXCDdYir4qvEHio54c25gFYQ6ySFiJWsF5jOSv0CI7Bz33MAV3LOwcGkqDO3ewPQSvJBeOyMAoh0WyegTSWjbEi4KjE8TVE9cDiLE_kd0yE_AVSulqCvw3tcIiQCW1q0M4dBrea9ANXRosKTcs-pbT-kp26zeFlt706zqq04VV9CnxVnJx8I8wi09umwytnHQeyBM2_eO_uq26yX6OVpdIGLSh8RvIbCPshy15Dfalu6VpriceUw8XH00WOnsS5IWZEciJEQpg_yBuGKF0nItmoeB2vxMIiHnhS88ka_m0AVgLmPNrmAc7l3aL1521LHHLqdkzGYFTDXZ4MSe73hV_7tTGoeIpATeTB_MitTcvo57JT6JnGJS0xsJHRLhvdOGb2PwJ0xzxxltfh_atZwrvEYXF9h-Ffx3GGf-OQ5XPr40eW8wb40IlL7yHbHNDDHGhPQFCqfnHZTSTTndjHKmGRqm3DKjw5vKnK0MEmj-G2x8_r9aSIy0hghDG56Y1rrqHWsEwh0VvINy2xIVa69EQTpAVpEW_UaPRQdLmYuFeRelEswltJvRFE_QoVeLE8FtQfIVrqygT2h8BgrpfcRItoiNleDot9utwmOutqPjtyxLqRy4iBmTd17JZLugFq2c3zdTzvhkuKC0EYNnyPAdwJofP6zBYxM760IFLC7BIjBZlzT1PSXEPWay-68awr_czuFFhHF1vGISMJK2=s800-no

We had kinoko udon and coffee at the Tomin no Mori trailhead for lunch and curry in Ome for dinner. She was very happy to see the villages and the mountains, which are not the typical tourist views.

I'm now at 31 Centuries for 2019 (2 more than in 2018, my previous record) and 88 consecutive months of at least one Century ride.

(On Strava)

Back
Top Bottom