day-after blah

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
What I consider hard physical exercise, you musclemen could do in half the time and on a mama-chari -- but it's still hard physical exercise for me. Hard physical exercise is something I'd successfully avoided for decades and so I'm not used to its effects. There's a pattern for the day after: though my muscles feel fine (a sign of insufficient punishment?), in general I feel ... blah. It's as if I'd had two beers too many the night before. (Not five too many: I don't have a headache.) Though I usually enjoy a brisk walk to the station and back, I walk slowly and would rather be in a taxi. Very darui, and I feel that in effect I'm wasting half the day. I don't skimp on liquids, but should I push myself to drink still more? Or is there some other simple thing I'm overlooking?

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Or is there some other simple thing I'm overlooking?
yeah it's called being tired. You are asking your body to do something it isn't used to doing. That will make it make adjustments and divert energy to new unused places leaving less for your usual stuff. Eat healthy and get a bit more sleep. The more you keep at the exercise the quicker it will adapt and you'll end up getting more energy in a few weeks.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Think kiwisimon hit the nail on the head. I always find that when I do a tough week of training, I really need a lot more sleep. With no training I'm fine with around 6 hours but it would half kill me if I was training and only getting that amount of sleep.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
What I consider hard physical exercise, you musclemen could do in half the time and on a mama-chari -- but it's still hard physical exercise for me. Hard physical exercise is something I'd successfully avoided for decades and so I'm not used to its effects. There's a pattern for the day after: though my muscles feel fine (a sign of insufficient punishment?), in general I feel ... blah. It's as if I'd had two beers too many the night before. (Not five too many: I don't have a headache.) Though I usually enjoy a brisk walk to the station and back, I walk slowly and would rather be in a taxi. Very darui, and I feel that in effect I'm wasting half the day. I don't skimp on liquids, but should I push myself to drink still more? Or is there some other simple thing I'm overlooking?
As I push myself further I find that there are a few things that help me feel better in a quicker fashion.

- 30-50 grams of carbs, depending on body weight, mixed with protein and taken within 20 minutes after training/exercise.
- if I don't sweat a lot then I drink 1000ml of water within an two hours after getting of the bike, and on sweaty/hard days at least 2000ml within the same time frame.
- lay down and don't move for as long as your schedule allows, but I do limit this to an hour so I can get some food in me.

I would modify the above based on how often and intense your rides are

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
Thank you all. Well, I feel OK now. (A bit unfocused before my second coffee of the day, but this is normal.) Next time around, I'll drink more after my return. (And water, not beer.)

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
1) Glass of milk and an apple or banana after you ride. Do just exactly what your mom always said.

2) If you can walk, don't run, If you can sit, don't stand, if you can lay down, don't sit.

3) An aspirin a day. ( I use baby aspirin - 25mg)

4) As you get older recovery takes longer. Don't sweat it. Old age and treachery always trump youth.