What's new

David Millar Interview

Struggling to get through the last few pages of the book.

Reads a bit like this: Didn't train in the winter, was way behind schedule, got injured, took some drugs, won some race you've never heard of, stopped taking drugs before the TDF, won a stage, totally clean, went off the rails, didn't train all winter (repeat).

I was laughing last night when I read him dissing Bradley Wiggins for being what I could only make out as being a decent bloke (trains hard, likes a pint and a laugh, is focussed on his objectives).

He's really lucky to have a second chance but still thinks the world owes him a livivng....... Although, you might disagree and say it's the best autobiography ever!

The other two books I read this summer: Laurent Fignon's autobiography and Richard Moore's "Slaying the badger" about Hibnault Vs. Lemond were both excellent by the way.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I want Slaying the Badger!

sod it just ordered it.... along with Millar's book.

James, you won't be disappointed. He gives great insight into Hinault and Lemond's characters and also the background staff.

Any books by him are excellent. "In search of Rober Miller" is fantastic. I didn't enjoy "Heroes and velodromes" as much but it's worth it for the insight into British Cycling under David Brailsford. The chapter on keirin in Japan is worth the price alone.

"Born to Run" is another good book I read. About running but a lot of it transfers over to cycling.

The "Escape Artist" is also good if you haven't read it.

We should start a TCC book club!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Thats a pretty good idea.... I know most here aren't Mark Cavendish fans but "Boy Racer" is a great book and also give more inssight in to the British Cycling and why Mark is a little reluctant to join SKY (You need to read between the lines and its to do with the last games in Beijing)

We should start a TCC book club!

There was a similar thread on this, with quite a few good recommendations. Maybe it should be sticky?

I also enjoyed Fignon's autobiography, though I'm not sure if I could read more about the characters and cycling of that era, even though Greg Lemond was a bit of a hero when I was an old boy.

I was wondering a bit about Cav's book, and was a bit hesitant cause he's only young. Though what I've read about him working at a bank etc. then shipping out to France sounds quite interesting.

I didn't enjoy "Heroes and velodromes" as much but it's worth it for the insight into British Cycling under David Brailsford.

Agree with that. Hard going, but interesting from a management perspective.

24 seconds into and I was thinking that guy looks like a cyborg. His neck is way too long... I was trying to focus on the top button done up which bothers me about as much as when someone doesn't button down a button-down collar, but that is about as far as it went. Interesting clip nevertheless.

Surely you are not criticising David Millar on his appearance?

What would you do that for?

Not really criticizing - just an observation. Guess it came out the wrong way. Shows my ignorance. I guess I should read up on him, or watch the video - don't know much about him.

Haha.

Piss taking aside, I feel that pro road cycling would be much more entertaining with more characters like Millar.

It is a sport which seems to attract at the very least, people with borderline personality disorders, so seeing the pro peleton equivalent of Patrick Bateman having a meltdown at the sight of a rivals subtle off-white bar tape would be a joy.

I was wondering a bit about Cav's book, and was a bit hesitant cause he's only young.

I was wary of Cav's book as well (autobiography of a 23 year old, what the heck am I gonna learn from that!?) but as James says, it's actually really really good. Cav seems a bit of a divisive figure among fans (which I don't get really, I find him much more likable than Wiggins, say) but whatever you think of him, the book has lots of great insights into life in the pro peloton, the whole British cycling track scene, and his overcoming the "numbers" to become a (wildly) successful pro.

He's also great on Twitter, incidentally. Articulate and insightful.

Haven't read the D Millar book but definitely want to. He's another guy I've always kinds of liked, despite his, what, self-deceptions?

Its not actually an autobiography but his history on getting to that Epic Tour De France and the things in his life that drove him forward.

well Amazon rocks... .the books arrived this morning. Epic photos in both of them and look great on the coffee table of any respectable bachelor.

Haha. Surely you jest?

No, seriously. He's one of the smarter guys in the peloton, for sure. I mean, not every word he writes is brilliant, but when he talks about the race or his sprints, he has a lot of interesting stuff to say...

As a fan of Mark Cavendish over the years, I've found that he has one thing many other pro cyclists don't.... and thats a personality.

Back
Top Bottom