What's new

Daniel Lloyd’s GCN Sufferfest Challenge

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
Anyone following along with this? I don't have a trainer but it does like kind of interesting (and entertaining).

Seeing other people suffer has been the core of much of entertainment since time and memoriam! It seems that having a trainer is just a necessity these days if you are serious about improving yourself. Especially in the winter, I can see the appeal.

Yeah, it would be nice to get a trainer but they're very pricey and, for me, I'd probably rather spend the money on a treadmill for the house. Having said that, I would like to to try the 4DP test to check my baseline cycling fitness. Has anyone tried it? It looks really tough.

If anyone's interested, Dan's results were as follows:

5 seconds - 1035W
1 minute - 440W
5 minutes - 309W
20 minutes - 244W

He wants to make a 15% improvement in 10 weeks doing about three hours per week on the trainer and another hour doing other stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, it would be nice to get a trainer but they're very pricey and, for me, I'd probably rather spend the money on a treadmill for the house. Having said that, I would like to to try the 4DP test to check my baseline cycling fitness. Has anyone tried it? It looks really tough.

If anyone's interested, Dan's results were as follows:

5 seconds - 1035W
1 minute - 440W
5 minutes - 309W
20 minutes - 244W

He wants to make a 15% improvement in 10 weeks doing about three hours per week on the trainer and another hour doing other stuff.

Anyone care to share their power numbers? It would really help me to get a bit of context. Don't be bashful...

Let's just say I have more power than Dan Llyod when he lets himself go. Except maybe for one minute.

let's just say I can comfortably beat any pro on any climb (as long as the equipment is equal and not mamachari VS super-bike kinda thing) as I figured my descending speeds are much faster than their climbing averages (so yeah the direction would be opposite, but apart from that detail)

Here's the video of Dan Lloyd's final test if you're interested. In the last bit he shows the average results of other (normal) people who were following along with the training program. Kind of fascinating to me.

Interesting to watch before and after. I was looking for more coverage during the challenge but there is not much. Anyway - sufferfest is pretty nice but is not a magic bullet by itself. I think it's more about following a structured plan and the fact that the indoor trainer is a very efficient way of using a small amount of time to train effectively. All the apps are pretty good. You just got to find one that is right for you. I personally love trainerroad as its very simple (similar to the pain). Sufferfest is really fun also and has cadence guidance which is missing from TR. I like to mix the two. Zwift I have tried a few times but its not very appealing to me.

Btw. if anyone wants to try TrainerRoad, I can give you a free month (if its your first time), and you already have a trainer etc.

Back
Top Bottom